Slow start, no initial fuel rail pressure

6 Ponies

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking for some guidance. My son has a 2000 V-6 with 135,000 miles on the clock. When we picked it up it had a slow start, usually having to crank for almost 15-20 seconds and it would always start on the 2nd crank. As part of the initial maintenance I have replaced the plugs, wires and coil packs, air filter, MAF sensor and fuel filter. Once running the car purrs like a kitten and the motor idles and drives flawlessly. The only reason I know there is no pressure at the rail was when I replaced the fuel filter, I went to depressurize the system at the schrader valve it had no pressure. Once running, everything is great, there are no codes. Please tell me I don't need to replace the pump, not looking forward to dropping the tank.

Thanks

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That isn't the best way to test for pressure. Next time you get in, turn the key to the on/run position and wait to hear the fuel pump prime for 5-6 secs. Then turn the key off, then back on and again wait for the pump to prime and then after that turn the key and see how it starts. See if building pressure up will help it to start faster/

OP
OP

6 Ponies

Reaction score
Oddly enough that's the way we have been staring it. 3 key cycles.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok that does show that there is low pressure. Now it means there is either a clogged filter, a bad pump or a leak somewhere. The filter is the easiest place to start and will also let you get your eyes on some of the lines to make sure they are not leaking.

OP
OP

6 Ponies

Reaction score
ok that does show that there is low pressure. Now it means there is either a clogged filter, a bad pump or a leak somewhere. The filter is the easiest place to start and will also let you get your eyes on some of the lines to make sure they are not leaking.
Already changed the filter and no leaks. Ugh.

outdare

Reaction score
Check the gas cap. You can spray around the injectors to see if they are leaking. Most likely the fuel pump not holding pressure.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well then with a new filter and no leaks you can see then its time to go into the tank. Its possible that the tube that connects between the pump and the top of the tank has a leak in it and it leaks back into the tank, or replace the pump while your in there.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Did you check the sock in side the fuel tank that's primary filter, second filter out side fuel tank
that could be plugged up.
also inspect the hose inside of fuel tank it may have a leak or is not on correctly or the hose is caving in on its self
hopefully this helps

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Don’t forget to open the gas door and remove the fuel filler neck to body bolts. That will greatly simplify pulling the tank. Take this time to replace the filler neck to tank grommet as they commonly deteriorate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online