slow start up on cold engine?

sinister5oh

Reaction score
recently just fixed a misfire issue by replacing my distributor. before I fixed the misfire, I still had this problem, too.

when the engine is cold, it will take 5+ seconds for it to start. it's not turning over slow, it sounds good and sounds like it wants to start, but it just won't as quickly as I want it to. I can shut the engine off 20 seconds after it's been started, turn it back on and it will crank up quickly just like it should.

i have this idea that it could be the cap/rotor. I replaced them shortly after I got the car, I has no misfire issues, then a week later the misfire creeped back on. the cap seemed to be getting burned up quicker than it should, and I think that was due to the bad distributor. a fellow forum member stated that when his dizzy was going south, his cap and rotor were getting burned up as well. when I replaced the distributor, I did NOT replace the cap and rotor as well. I will sand down the contacts a bit and see if that helps any. with the new distributor the cap and rotor should wear normally again.

i also thought fuel pump but, you know, when I turn the key to KOEO before starting, you know, the fuel pump makes that nice "bzzzzzzz" :) it doesn't sound weak, sounds normal to me, but I don't know if how it sounds gives any indication to a failing fuel pump.

anyone have any ideas other than the cap and rotor? as always, any input is appreciated!! :)

new distributor, o2 sensors, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, IAC valve, ignition coil. once again, I did NOT replace cap and rotor when replacing distributor. didnt clean the contacts either, which I'll do next.

MODS: f303 cam, long tubes, no cats/h-pipe, JLT CAI

95GT86SS

Reaction score
Didn't the new dizzy come with a new cap and rotor?

95 GT BBK CAI TB MSD 6AL O/R H SLP LM1
Coming soon GT40 Heads Intake and e303 cam with Long tubes

OP
OP
S

sinister5oh

Reaction score
nope, just distributor only. I've been at work all day, and rode my motorcycle today. when I get home I'll sand down the cap contacts and let you know if it helps any.

any other thoughts on the slow start up?

OP
OP
S

sinister5oh

Reaction score
when I prime the fuel pump by turning the key on and off 3 times, the car starts up noticeably quicker. must be the pump, but at least it's not totally shot. not too worried about it now...maybe a future project later on.

95GT86SS

Reaction score
when I prime the fuel pump by turning the key on and off 3 times, the car starts up noticeably quicker. must be the pump, but at least it's not totally shot. not too worried about it now...maybe a future project later on.
If it's the pump, it's a warning that it will go out shortly. But I'd change the fuel filter and see what that does. Maybe it's having to push past a dirty filter

95 GT BBK CAI TB MSD 6AL O/R H SLP LM1
Coming soon GT40 Heads Intake and e303 cam with Long tubes

BlkoutGT

Reaction score
Sounds like its time for a new pump... Could last a while if you prime it first. But the clock is ticking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online