Small puddle of water in trunk after wash

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gave the car a pretty concentrated and deliberate sharp stream water wash, including along door and trunk seams. Opened the trunk over usual to wipe dry the channel and tops of rear taillight housings, etc… then noticed a decent little puddle of water on the passenger side inside the trunk! Checked the weatherstripping. Looked ok all around. Any ideas, thoughts, comments?

Thanks!

badass98svt

Reaction score
Either the weatherstripping has become dry and out of its shape, or you need to adjust your trunk latch down so the trunk closes a little lower.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Badass98SVT! How do I adjust the trunk latch? I’ll bet that’s it because the last few times I’ve gone to open the trunk, it doesn’t pop up enough to open. Have to give it a quick “push down/pull up”
to get it open.

TTSaleen

Reaction score
When I bought my 2003 Cobra a few years ago, it did the same thing. I ended up resealing the entire surround of the metal where the trunk and quarter panels merge. Basically I used clear silicone in the trunk channel area around the bottom of the trunk hinges. I found this was the leak by pouring a bottle of water in those areas and watching it leak. My factory sealer that was applied there had cracked over the years and was allowing water to seep thru. It was a frustrating to solve problem, but I did eventually fix it!
Ha!
Ryan

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting, TT! I’ll try that water leak test and head to Home Depot for a tube of clear sealant if it turns out to be the same thing.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm… I just happened upon a video about adjusting trunk lid. Could it be just an up or down adjustment to the striker plate with a 1/2” ratchet? Same video also addresses the hinges for front/back and side/side adjustments, but my trunk seems to close and line up pretty well (but I’ll recheck that as well).

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully just a slight adjustment upward on the striker plate will do it! Will get outside and try once the rest of the household is awake!!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m terrible at this kind of stuff, but I’m thinking if I raise the striker plate it won’t be stuck so far down which makes it harder to release??

joemomma

Reaction score
I had to remove my striker plate during the audio redo (removing old subs, getting new in). You should be able to see if the plate has moved. Maybe the bolts have loosened there? They should be pretty snug.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I’m terrible at this kind of stuff, but I’m thinking if I raise the striker plate it won’t be stuck so far down which makes it harder to release??

Didn't you say you have water in the trunk?
Making the panel gap bigger definitely isn't going to help you with that.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are the gaps on all the edges lined up around the trunk? If they are you don't want to adjust the trunk, I would instead suggest possibly a new seal around the top or even just try pulling the seal up a little so it makes contact with the trunk lid by maybe putting some thin wire or vac line inside of the seal prior to putting it on the lip. Try some oil on the trunk latch as well.

badass98svt

Reaction score
are the gaps on all the edges lined up around the trunk? If they are you don't want to adjust the trunk, I would instead suggest possibly a new seal around the top or even just try pulling the seal up a little so it makes contact with the trunk lid by maybe putting some thin wire or vac line inside of the seal prior to putting it on the lip. Try some oil on the trunk latch as well.

Vaseline applied to the seal has been known to help too

TrickVert

Reaction score
If it leaks when you pour water into/over the gap or when it rains, then you have a sealing problem that needs to be addressed. If it leaks when you shoot a pressure washer nozzle at the gap, then don't shoot the pressure washer nozzle at the gap! :)

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Must be the seals underneath the spoiler because I snugged them down from the underside of the trunk lid, poured some water over it and there was a small(er) puddle still.

I’d there supposed to be a grommet or gasket between the footing of the spoiler and the trunk lid?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There is a gasket on the bottom but good luck finding a replacement. I would just remove it, clean the area and then smear some rtv on the spots.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There is a gasket on the bottom but good luck finding a replacement. I would just remove it, clean the area and then smear some rtv on the spots.
Can do, thx!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online