Small puddle of water in trunk after wash

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok,thanks everyone. I have some RTV on hand so I’ll give that a try.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
how big of a deal is this for you to do now? I ask because I am planning on buying a laser cutter sometime and it could cut this out of some rubber gasket material easy.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
how big of a deal is this for you to do now? I ask because I am planning on buying a laser cutter sometime and it could cut this out of some rubber gasket material easy.
I’d be interested in that! What would you charge?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well I would have to get the laser first and its in the planning stages. It will happen the question is when(I am looking into financing options at the moment). Something quick/easy like that I would feel bad charging a few bucks for each but it is a $7k machine I am dreaming of making it on....

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well I would have to get the laser first and its in the planning stages. It will happen the question is when(I am looking into financing options at the moment). Something quick/easy like that I would feel bad charging a few bucks for each but it is a $7k machine I am dreaming of making it on....
Gotcha! I’ll get some butyl tape at HD tomorrow for $6.99!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Result! Couldn’t find Beutyl tape per se, but found what I thought was same or similar enough to work:image.jpgD6A76199-359D-406E-9C75-00D9EBE65C36.jpegE8C6D445-7D24-4A71-8B88-873B842A8865.jpeg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Double-sided Gorilla Tape. Pierced a square over each nut post and attached a piece to each nut, cleaned surfaces prior, and screwed it all back together. Water test results shown!…

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yeah, that's 2 sided tape. That will work for a little while, but not forever. Butyl is the stuff that is used to seal your taillights up, by using it on the back side of the nuts in the trunk. It's a black (usually) hard sticky substance.
I have a bunch from doing headlight retrofits. Shoot me a PM and I can send you a little bit. You wont need much at all.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, turns out didn’t work. Still have a puddle!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was hoping that they used a closed cell/waterproof foam but I was thinking to myself that I probably would have done rtv over the tape.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Tape a paper towel up under the bottom and do your spray test.

I had another thought for gasket material, do you have an old bicycle inner tube? If so cut a gasket out of that.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Tape a paper towel up under the bottom and do your spray test.

I had another thought for gasket material, do you have an old bicycle inner tube? If so cut a gasket out of that.
I’ll try the paper towel trick. Don’t have an inner tube.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Has to be. The weatherstripping is in tact.

That doesn't mean it still retains its shape from the 90s. It could be dried out, have a small crack, be flattened down from age etc.
Vaseline on the weatherstripping can help seal a trunk leak as well.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
putting a layer of vasaline on the seal and then closing it and then opening it up to inspect could tell you where it is in contact and where it isn't. I would still bet on the spoiler gasket myself. Check at your local autoparts store and you might be able to buy a small sheet of gasket material to cut your own or go to walmarnt and buy a cheap innertube.

badass98svt

Reaction score
putting a layer of vasaline on the seal and then closing it and then opening it up to inspect could tell you where it is in contact and where it isn't. I would still bet on the spoiler gasket myself. Check at your local autoparts store and you might be able to buy a small sheet of gasket material to cut your own or go to walmarnt and buy a cheap innertube.

I'm gonna send him out some Butyl tape in the next couple days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online