Smell of gas

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
I just removed cats and installed straight hpipe to 2chamber flowmasters. Anyone else smell a bit of gas after doing this? Do I need to disconnect my battery and let the computer reprogram?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just removed cats and installed straight hpipe to 2chamber flowmasters. Anyone else smell a bit of gas after doing this? Do I need to disconnect my battery and let the computer reprogram?

That’s the fun part of having no cats. They’re not there to burn off the gas vapors that didn’t burn in the cylinders. So now you get to smell the fumes a bit more.

Try doing it with side pipes. The fumes roll straight into the cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yup I just took off my catted X and went off road. I think I am planning on putting cats back on it. Its just a tad louder than I like with my cut outs off and as he said with side pipes the fumes are a bit stronger.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
I had it with straight pipes for a few days and wow it was way too loud

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to chime in.

I ran a cat less mid pipe in the past. Not only did I smell fumes but I personally smelled like fumes after a drive with the windows down and people behind me would comment on the smell.

When I went long tubes I installed a BBK O/R H pipe but welded in Magnaflow Metallic 200 cell count spin cats. While it decreased the volume 5-10 percent, it deepened the note and no more fumes. I’m happy, people around me are happy, passengers are happy, and the environment is happier. I’ll never run catless again. The super small increase in HP and small increase in sound isn’t worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werecow

Reaction score
I don't have it anymore but I can chime in on this one too. The '94 I just sold had long tubes, pipes welded straight into the collectors, no x or h pipe and what I can only guess were what we used to call silver bullets for mufflers and then they just stopped in front of the rear axle.. it also had no egr, a 160 deg thermostat which I put in cause it didn't have one when I got it, and the plugs stayed wet cause this thing was pig fat allllllll the time.... It stank of fuel everytime I cranked it up and the plugs stayed wet on it.. I think that most of the sensors were either unplugged or had the wires burned in two by the time I got it.. I never could figger out why that thing was running so rich...

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I don't have it anymore but I can chime in on this one too. The '94 I just sold had long tubes, pipes welded straight into the collectors, no x or h pipe and what I can only guess were what we used to call silver bullets for mufflers and then they just stopped in front of the rear axle.. it also had no egr, a 160 deg thermostat which I put in cause it didn't have one when I got it, and the plugs stayed wet cause this thing was pig fat allllllll the time.... It stank of fuel everytime I cranked it up and the plugs stayed wet on it.. I think that most of the sensors were either unplugged or had the wires burned in two by the time I got it.. I never could figger out why that thing was running so rich...

Had a buddy with an old 5.0 fox body with every emissions thing removed from the car. The fumes on that thing were horrid. I couldn't ride in it because at the time we worked in an office and sitting at a desk smelling like fuel all day sucked. Can't do it.

Werecow

Reaction score
Now I did have an old '79 Zeypher (like a Fairmont but made by Mercury) I had a 302,header, weiand intake, 650 Holly, and a mild cam under the hood, with a full on 85 gt suspension and the 10 hole wheels with it!! I ran duals with I can't remember the brand of turbo mufflers but when I had to get a sticker on it I was forced to put 2 converters on it. This was way back in the late 80's. I never had a gas smell on that one after I got the jets and the power valve dialed it and 'the old grandma's car scared the shit out of a lot of kids cruising on Fri and Sat nights... And ya Kno I had to leave it primer black... I wish I had some pics I could drop here but *sigh*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online