Smog pump modification?

Downshift

Reaction score
Sounds stupid but im curious and lazy at the same time and that can be bad haha. Ok well I took my smog pump off and everything that goes with it. Long story short no matter what belt I get it squeels with out it. Now for my question.

I really dont want to wrestle with the metal tube that goes to the exhaust. And since the air pump blows barely any air I was thinking about routing it into the intake....

Problem is only place would be past the MAF. But since its a very small amount of air and half of the air was already going to the back of the heads un metered from the factory do you guys think it would be alright to run it into the intake?

If its kinda risky what about a air fuel gauge just to make sure?

Just kinda wondering lol. Thanks.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Someone has to know something. Ok, the pump says 28lbs/hr on it so considering half of it was already going into the engine with out going through the maf would you guys think it would be ok just to run the whole thing into the intake?

ryclef331

Reaction score
Are you talking about having the smog pump blow into the intake? I wouldn't reccomend it at ALL. The unmetered air wouldn't be much of an issue but rather the fact that its going to be a big ass vaccum leak. Ditch the pump, short belt it, plug the tubes in the back of the heads, and be done with it.

G

GREG@SN95

sounds like you are trying to ****** rig a blower...

don't bother... it'll look goofy as hell and people will call you names like "ricer"... cause thats something a ricer would do...

do this instead ---> http://www.kennebell.net/

ryclef331

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:

don't bother... it'll look goofy as hell and people will call you names like "ricer"... cause thats something a ricer would do...

Jesus Christ....you wanna watch the fucking ethnic slurs there dumbass?

d_punch

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
GREG@SN95 said:

oh this is going into my sig.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry I know I shouldnt have, but I had to laugh :angel:

G

GREG@SN95

ryclef331 said:
GREG@SN95 said:

oh relax...

its a common term and i meant absolutely nothing racial about it... and you should know that...

k stang

Reaction score
When i changed my head gaskets i ripped that frekin tube going to the exhaust and i gutted the smog pump out (until i get the chance to order a delete kit). I put a tiny filter on the end of the rubber hoses ender the MAF. I dont care if people think its ricey... i did it neatly and its deff cleaner looking and less anoying having that stupid tube hanging down :dunno:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
ryclef331 said:
GREG@SN95 said:

oh relax...

its a common term and i meant absolutely nothing racial about it... and you should know that...

I kind of figured that, but with that flag on your sig................ya never know ;D ;D

G

GREG@SN95

oh... yah... you caught me... I'm as racist as they come... I'm in the KKK... I am racist as barbara streisand is perty... :hammer:

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Wow haha. ok umm first off i tried about 10 belts and all of them squeek. That was my attempt at short belting it and im sick of it so thats why im not going that route anymore. Im not trying to make big gains or anything by making a poor mans wannabe blower I dont want to hook it back up because all the tubes are gone that go to the exhaust and what not but the belt will not shut up and i cant drive it like that its stupid so if im gonna put it back in i might as well just put it into the intake. I dont care if people think its ricey or not i dont give a damn what people think sorry. All i was asking was would it cause harm to my car in anyway? Thats pretty much what I wanted to know I should have asked that in the first place.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Just curious on how it would be a vaccum leak if it is pushing air?

ryclef331

Reaction score
b/c its air that wasn't measured by the MAF there for its unmetered and not taken into account when the injectors spray. The worst that would happen really is probably idle surging or maybe part throttle detonation. Thats about it...those are both still a pain in the ass. You're better off just having it pump into the air under the hood OR, find the line that has SUCTION on it when the car is on, and running THAT to ventilate the crank case. That, if the pumps are strong enough, will help with ring seal there in reducing blowby, and make more power. I don't know how much vaccum that pump would be able to pull and how long it would live sucking in oil mist though so don't quote me on anything. I'm just saying it would be a better use for the pump if you have to keep it.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Ya my main concern was the un metered air. But half the air it pushes goes to the exhaust and the other half already goes to the heads it does go into the cylinders doesn't it? Since its only 28lbs/hr pump I didnt think it would do much. If I just had it blowing under the hood wouldnt you be able to hear it kinda loud?

ryclef331

Reaction score
I don't know how loud it would be just spinning free under the hood. I've heard of people just gutting the insides. As for it pumping...it sucks exhaust from the mid pipe and pumps THAT into the heads...so no that isn't unmetered air. That is spent exhaust gases and that helps to make the combustion mix less volatile.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online