Smoke at wide open throttle

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
it's not extremely horrible and it only does it at wot!!! but my car does smoke a bit when I hit it hard at wide open throttle! any ideas what it could be, this is my first mod motor and dont know anything about these cars

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Ok how do you normally drive your car? Mileage? and any mods IE Power adders??

If you drive your car like a normal human, and just puts around town, you will get a little accumulation of soot/carbon and exhaust gasses in your exhaust and muffler baffles. When your at WOT the amount of pressure in the exhaust will loosen up and blow the said deposits out. If you drive normal and not really get on it all the time, when you do get on it,it will look heavier and worse.

Just drive it normal for a while and see what happens, then drive it kinda hard for a few days and see if its still there after beating on it for a while. If its not, then its just normal exhaust deposits.

OP
OP
Venomous96Cobra

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
car has no cats! i drive normal and get on it once in a while! maybe I shouldnt worry because it seems to go away if i keep getting on the accelerator! I just got worried when i saw the smoke thought maybe i needed a valve job

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
With no cats your going to see more deposits get to your mufflers. and then come out from time to time when it frees up. Just drive it and monitor your oil level. Normal manufactur states 1 qt used per 1k is normal.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
With no cats your going to see more deposits get to your mufflers. and then come out from time to time when it frees up. Just drive it and monitor your oil level. Normal manufactur states 1 qt used per 1k is normal.

that much? 3 qts lost per oil change? :-/ that seems excessive.

ster302

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
Duff Daddy said:

that much? 3 qts lost per oil change? :-/ that seems excessive.
1qt per 1000 miles is right, GM says 1.5qt per 1000 is okay :rolleyes:

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Chrysler reads 1 qt per 1,000 miles, and going to BURN/USE more then 1qt per 1k, OVER 3k.

badass98svt

Reaction score
My car was smoking under full throttle too.

Infact, just before it got all f'ed up, it seemed to smoke even at idle. But it was just a tiny bit.

jthorn9

Reaction score
Mine has no cats and smokes a little at idel, but it's not bad at all. My 95 (when it worked) also smoked a very minute bit, again it has no cats. So I'm going to call it normal. It's when the smoke is white (radiator fluid) or pitch black (oil) that you have to worry. Light grey is normal for a catless car.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I got on my car really hard the other day and it threw a couple of nice smoke trails as well.

After pulling up to a stop sign a lingering sell of burnt exhaust/some oil was evident too... I'd say its pretty normal...

Oh and my 96 Cobra ate about a quart of oil in my 3k mile oil change interval so...

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
how much smoke and what color? you say not "extremely horrible".. so that means pretty horrible, kinda horrible, bad, so so, a bit?

id say everyone is being a bit passive on the issue because it could be valve seals/guides or just running rich, etc... if its just a little bit, then I would say your okay but if its pouring smoke out the back, id say you have issues.

before my motor rebuild, my car was dumping smoke out the back at WOT and a bit at idle.. my valve guides were bad.. after i had the engine and heads rebuilt, and retuned, I have no smoke what so ever. at idle or WOT.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
^

Since most of our car's haven't had a a fresh motor put into them, they'd most likely shoot smoke out due to their wear'n'tear.

I'm sure the guides/rings in my 90k mile car aren't as good as they once were. So that's why there is some smoke at full throttle... Thats definitely not optimal/normal, but what can you expect...

badass98svt

Reaction score
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
how much smoke and what color? you say not "extremely horrible".. so that means pretty horrible, kinda horrible, bad, so so, a bit?

id say everyone is being a bit passive on the issue because it could be valve seals/guides or just running rich, etc... if its just a little bit, then I would say your okay but if its pouring smoke out the back, id say you have issues.

before my motor rebuild, my car was dumping smoke out the back at WOT and a bit at idle.. my valve guides were bad.. after i had the engine and heads rebuilt, and retuned, I have no smoke what so ever. at idle or WOT.

Mind if i ask how much your rebuild was? From removal to reinstall. Including the heads getting redone. I'm getting quoted $6-$7k.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Ive personally never seen any smoke come out of MY pipes. But ive had a buddy of mine behind me at a light and i pretty much stomped on it and was WOT from 1-3 and he said when i took off, like a 2 ft trail of smoke shot out and again in 2nd.

Ive also witnessed when your WOT then just shut her down, all the smoke that kind of trickles out of the pipes..

all in all smoke, specially in catless cars, like all of these guys have said is pretty normal.. Had NOOOOO idea bout the whole 1qt per 1k miles thing.. that is just rediculous..

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
badass98svt said:
[TxCobrA98 said:
]

Mind if i ask how much your rebuild was? From removal to reinstall. Including the heads getting redone. I'm getting quoted $6-$7k.
my rebuild was probably around $3k.. but then again, i rebuilt the motor myself and already had JE forged pistons, eagle Hbeam rods, and ARP head studs, main studs, rod bolts, and crank bolt. i was quoted about 6500 for my rebuild too from HPP racing. they are the guys that tune my car. that was reusing my already owned forged internals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online