Smoke coming out of the dipstick

Demolisher

Reaction score
Ok well there is smoke coming out of the dipstick anyone no why? :help2: they told me that i mightve overheated the engine one to many times what could it be? :slap:

tommybunz

Reaction score
yeah same thing happened to me. First look at the mileage. then if the dipstick pops up and oil burns, than more than likely the motor is damaged. Check pcv valve, breather, and check oil for signs of water in the engine

95-stang

Reaction score
Yep as said, check the pcv valve and make sure breather pipes are not blocked. Usually the smoke is excess backpressure, the main cause is usally worn piston rings, lets hope its not that bad. ;)

tommybunz

Reaction score
that was my next thing: the worn piston rings. try some restore see what it does

ryclef331

Reaction score
95-stang said:
Yep as said, check the pcv valve and make sure breather pipes are not blocked. Usually the smoke is excess backpressure, the main cause is usally worn piston rings, lets hope its not that bad. ;)
dead on....run a compression test and see where you're at. Its just crank case fumes more than likely.

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
well there was no oil on the sparkplugs and no water in the dipstick so then do i need an overhaul or do i need to fix the rings they told me just to put thicker oil and a qt. of lucas think that well take away the smoke :(

ryclef331

Reaction score
Demolisher said:
well there was no oil on the sparkplugs and no water in the dipstick so then do i need an overhaul or do i need to fix the rings they told me just to put thicker oil and a qt. of lucas think that well take away the smoke :(

You're jumping the gun here....do what was described above. CHECK your PVC for proper operation.

tommybunz

Reaction score
restore is an additive that restores compression to the cylinders. @ autozone or advance

95-stang

Reaction score
We used to have stuff here called Piston Seal, it was basically just a patch job, you would use it if you were putting a basket case through a motor auction. :(
You took the spark plugs out, and just squeezed it into the bores.

ripper

Reaction score
If your pvc valve is stuck (which this sounds like) its an easy fix. Take it off and shake it. If it doesnt rattle its no good. Stuck or bad pvc will belch smoke from your dipstick and tailpipe.

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
Backside of your intake. Connects to the lower. Feel for your vaccum lines behind your intake and follow them to your pcv valve. 3 bucks at autozone and your good to go. Or atleast youll now if its your PCV valve or not

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
So if the pcv valve is messed up it can cause smoke to come out of the dipstick is that what u are all saying? :help2:

ryclef331

Reaction score
if the pvc is clogged or stuck shut for any reason, it won't vent the crankcase fumes and it will push out of the dipstick.

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
How does he pcv valve look? any pics? the only thing i feel behind the intake is like a lil plastic T and it has 3 hoeses connected to it :lame:

rage602

Reaction score
I had the same type of problem, my motor has a pile of miles on it, it uses about 1 quart of oil every 3,000 miles, it runs extermely well still; however it makes a few very small knocks when you first start it up cold and has a little "blow-by". I tried an aftermarket PCV valve; nothing changed (blow-by), then I installed a Motorcraft PCV; It seemed to aleviate the problem. I also use 10W-30 Castrol High Mileage oil and an additive called Hyperlube, I usually buy it at Checker or Pep Boys, it comes in a white or gold bottle and only costs about $8, I have had very good results with it in my stang, I have used it for about 10 years on previous cars and trucks that I have owned.

ripper

Reaction score
Demolisher said:
How does he pcv valve look? any pics? the only thing i feel behind the intake is like a lil plastic T and it has 3 hoeses connected to it :lame:

Its that plastic piece inserted into the intake

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Staff online

Members online