smoked head/tail light

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
Does any one know how or where to get your tail lights and head lights smoked im thinking of just getting new clear head lights but I like the 95 tail lights I have now but I would prefer just a little bit darker. I was thinking about checking out a paint shop and seeing if they made a black candy biased paint. Any input would be appreciated

OP
OP
B

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
i cant find any place that sells the tint spray and my down doesn’t have any hobby shops around that i know of im not the kind of guy to notice a hobby shop any way. the auto parts store doesn’t have any and the local tint shop said they can do it but its like 60$ for one tail light and 20 to 30 for any side markers or rear brake light. i might go to the local paint shop and see if they have some kind of black candy paint or maybe could mix some black in with a clear to make a tint and ill spray it on. Any ideas or any one know if the paint mixed with clear would work

OP
OP
B

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
when you type in anything on yahoo or google i find 4 pages of forums that discuss the product but i cant find any where that sells it

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
if your looking for vht nitshades i believe summit has it and maybe jegs not sure

94EMStang

Reaction score
+1 for vht, but you might consider having someone put a coat of clear on them afterwards for a smoothe clean look. the vht by itself has a dull look to it imo. good luck...

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
Pay me $100 and i will tint them for you. i did the ones on my jeep.
I1290052.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

pic of my turn signals i did
IA150003.jpg

i did both mine and my buddies.

and no i dont still have my jeep,niether does my buddy, we like to drive em a little to hard.
PICT0012.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

nicksjeep.jpg

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
got er did.... nice :thumb: my other transportation is a 79 f 150 4x4. going to take some money out of my "mustang fund" (well thats what it is basically :laugh:) and put a selectable locker up front and get some new rancho 9000x shocks for it.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
well thanks fellas, it got fixed and looked like this..

I1290048.jpg

Project2.jpg

Project3.jpg

Project1.jpg

Sign said jeep eater..BAHAHAHHA.
I had to sell her cause i was paying around 1K+ for it a month, MOnthly payment, insurance, and gas. and before the wreck she was KBB at 18K (i paid 13K for her) and after the wreck she was KBB at 8K

Here are some more for shits and giggles
bigjeep.jpg

smalljeep2.jpg

IA150002.jpg

IA150001.jpg

S3500033.jpg

S3500032.jpg

Got Er' Did...haha i still have that back bumper. Im thinking of putting a small sticker on the back of my stang that says it.

PS: Sorry to shnapps your thread dude. i tinted my tails on the stang tonight, i will post pics tomm.

Ok thats enough ill start to cry.

OP
OP
B

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
where did you get the tint spry i can spray it just fine i painted my street bike my self and i have had painters ask me who did my work and was shocked when i said i did it my self and clear coating it is not a problem either i have a paint gun, compressor, and a attached water condenser. so painting is not a big deal its all in the prep. i just cant find the spray tint i looked in jegs summit the auto parts store the local tint guy said he would do it but for like 150$ and i don’t have that right now. WHERE DO I GET IT

[attachment deleted by admin] SORRY HAD TO CLEAR ROOM

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
both summit and jegs have it (i just checked for ya)but i would get it from jegs they have free 1-2 day shipping and summit says it wont ship till the 14th (must be out). just go to either www.jegs.com or www.summitracing.com and search for VHT Nite Shades and it will pop up

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
OK well im fixing to let you in on my secret. Clear coat application, well at least for me is 4-1-1. SO mix up some clear, mix up a good amount, cause if you run out you have to sand down the tails and start over, so its better to end with left overs TRUST ME. SO you have your clear coat just sitting there chilling. Take some of that black you used on your bike and put a decent amount in. I usually add some then stir it into the clear then take someand slosh it up on the side to see how dark it is, make it prettydark but not non transparent. Now heres the important part, when painting both of your tails each tailight needs the same number of passes, and same number of coats. If you dont do this, one tailight will be darker or lighter than the other. This stuff i told you to mix is going to look and act just like clear. I recommend a fast hardener.

S3500088.jpg

S3500089.jpg

The good thing about this, well if you can paint which i do believe you can (nice bike BTW) is you layer it, not dark enough? add another layer. Make sure to get the clear nice and smooth, i have yet to wet sand any of the jobs i have done, you may end up with light spots and dark spots. and this will last wayyyy longer than that VHT stuff.

OP
OP
B

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
Thanks a lot 95kbgt that was the answer I was looking for. I just dint know how the paint would react with the clear if it would mix correctly or separate. But from what you said it looks like it will mix. Thanks

OP
OP
B

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
And that will work out grate because I was just about to order more black paint and clear to repaint my tail light housings the black plastic is faded. And the red lenses are faded as well so I was going to sand the hole thing down then paint the black then the transparent black on the lens itself and im thinking I could just spray the hole light at that point because it would be clear coat. Did that make sense I just woke up so my thoughts are a little off

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
The clear will mix fine with the color. If you ask any paint instructor for a tech school he will be against it and tell ya to use a transparent base (like the ones used to suspend a pearl coat, or add ass loads of metal flakes) I did it this way cause its cheap and easy. I did mine on my jeep and the taillights saw dry mud, im sure bad chemicals, dirt and a pressure washer and they never peeled or faded.

I get what your saying about the whole thing, it took me an hour to properly mask both lights to do this, i think it would look ok depending on what color plastic/color of the car your starting with, like mine im sure it would have been fine, white, you may have to go the long way, apint the surround first and then tape the surround off and do the tails. but it should work. I used 600Gritt dry to ruff up the lights, or you can go grey scotch bright, do not go to red scotch brite or coarse'er grit, you will see the sand scratches thru the paint, 600 does the job fine. let me know if you have anymore questions, i will be more than happy to help, hopefully this will catch on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online