smokin....

white98gt

Reaction score
maybe you guys can help me figure this out. i put a mac o/r h pipe on my car 2 weeks ago, & ever since i've been gettin some whitish smoke SOMETIMES when i pull away from a traffic light. doesn't smoke when i first start it up. i was thinking the valve stem seals. but if it was that wouldn't it smoke when i :dunno:first start it? i'm a little puzzled so appreciate any help. thanks guys.

Gtnut1996

Reaction score
you might have a busted intake manifold. everytime i have had white smoke come from mine that is what has happened.
remember oil is blue, gas is black, and water is white. :drunk:

OP
OP
W

white98gt

Reaction score
Gtnut1996 said:
you might have a busted intake manifold. everytime i have had white smoke come from mine that is what has happened.
remember oil is blue, gas is black, and water is white. :drunk:
thanks for the reply. i put a new intake manifold on last summer. i guess when i had cats on they were catching the smoke. now that i don't, i'm seeing it. i figure that if it was the intake, wouldn't i smell antifreeze in the exhaust? the new intake had the gaskets molded into the intake, not the seperate ones that sandwich between intake ports & manifold. think maybe i should pull out the molded in ones(they can come out) & put traditional gaskets on them?

Gtnut1996

Reaction score
i wouldnt worry about changing the gasket. sometimes you can smell the antifreeze. just depends on how bad it is.just keep a watch on all the levels.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Pull the plugs and check to see if any are fowled from anti-freeze. Check for white crust. Keep an eye on your fluid levels as stated above. If it is not leaking anti-freeze heavily you may not smell it. Remember that anti-freeze is not good in the cylinders, coolant does not compress, also it will burn. If it is not coming from the intake gasket, it could be a bad head gasket, or worse a bad head, but that is in extreme cases.

OP
OP
W

white98gt

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
Pull the plugs and check to see if any are fowled from anti-freeze. Check for white crust. Keep an eye on your fluid levels as stated above. If it is not leaking anti-freeze heavily you may not smell it. Remember that anti-freeze is not good in the cylinders, coolant does not compress, also it will burn. If it is not coming from the intake gasket, it could be a bad head gasket, or worse a bad head, but that is in extreme cases.
thanks for the input guys. i just put new plugs in a week or two ago. nothing out of the ordinary. i am losing a little coolant, but that's from the radiator. leaking where the trans line goes into the radiator. doesn't look like a difficult fix. i looked to see if coolant was running down either head & it's not. i'll just continue to keep an eye on stuff. thanks again guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online