Sn95 air ride questions.

cameron57

Reaction score
So I am looking into air ride for my sn and I know some of you are running these so here are some of my question

1. If I buy air ride ie the best bags can I upgrade my system as I go?

2. Can you use someone elses upper lower control arms?

3. Can you optimize the shock for, drag, autox, and street, or is this like everything else you needs a new shock for each scenario.

4. Can you really get ride height where you want or is it just like a coil over its only going to work well at one height?

5. If air ride really is so great why does no one run it at the track?

6. Am I better buying a kit or building my own kit.

7. Who is "The best" manufacturer for our car?

8. Does it ride better than a factory mustang or similar to a c/o car?

Thanks,
Cameron

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
So I am looking into air ride for my sn and I know some of you are running these so here are some of my question

1. If I buy air ride ie the best bags can I upgrade my system as I go?

2. Can you use someone elses upper lower control arms?

3. Can you optimize the shock for, drag, autox, and street, or is this like everything else you needs a new shock for each scenario.

4. Can you really get ride height where you want or is it just like a coil over its only going to work well at one height?

5. If air ride really is so great why does no one run it at the track?

6. Am I better buying a kit or building my own kit.

7. Who is "The best" manufacturer for our car?

8. Does it ride better than a factory mustang or similar to a c/o car?

Thanks,
Cameron

1.) If your asking what the best brand is that is a bit of a loaded question. Like anything else every rose has its thorn. Not sure you can put your finger on the best as there are some really good companies out there. I don't know about the different brands as much as I probably should have before getting into it but I went to a local shop and they suggested Ridetech and why not, they are only 45 mins away. I have since gone up to their facility to pick up my last purchase and it really is a nice set up they have going there.

2.) If you are going with a traditional bag system at the very least you would need to modify the mounts to hold a bag. Now Ridetech and at least one other(I can't think of right now) offers an integrated air-shock/strut that will bolt up to aftermarket gear. Ridetech also makes rear control arms.

3.) When I went up and saw the facilty it was to pick up a set of of dual adjustable shockwaves, their brand of air-shock/struts. They do offer adjustability, and there was recently a 3-way set that came out for the front and working on a rear set. I have not got them on the car yet as I do not want to get overspray on them so I can't say with first hand knowledge how they are.

4.) You can set it up to what ever height you want to. Obviously there will be a point that has the best handling and a worst point. I have been using their E3 system with the ride height sensors on bags up till this point. It has 3 presets that you can set to any height you want. I set got an alignment done at the #2 setting and that is what I normally drive at. I hit #3 if I need the height and it raises it up pretty quickly.

5.) $$$ and simplicity in the idea that they know so much about coil-over characteristics effect on everything as well as less moving parts, less to worry about failing and needing repair.

6.) You can save money on a kit piecing it together and probably mixing some new/old stuff into it all. I like to try and get all my pieces in the same pace if I can out of a small ocd problem and because it makes it easier to go back to the same place if I need help or have a problem.

7.) Again a bit of a loaded question. With that being said I have said what brand I run and have had no issues with them. I know there are chdeaper kits but I do not know anyone running them.

8.) The ride is better then any lowered mustang I have been in. No vs a mustang at stock height you have the air ride up to the same height that is plenty of air for a smooth ride. Most lowered mustangs I have ridden in were a pretty stiff ride mainly due to the loss in space for the suspension work in. With air ride you can have it as low as you want but I rarely feel the need to try and drop it down low enough to while driving to worry about ripping my side exhaust skirts off. But at a reasonable height the air ride is a smoother ride, there is a reason why Lincoln liked them.

Tony is the resident air ride expert and I would take any advise he has over me though honestly. He has been in it a lot loner.......

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ride tech has several cars sponsored on the autox and road course circuits that are heavily competitive. Check out their website and see the cars/trucks running their gear and it will blow your mind.

You'd be surprised how many vintage racers are using it but you'd never know cause they aren't dropping it like a show car or lifting it to clear speed bumps. They are using the different air levels for specific rates at different tracks.

No more need to get under and adjust your coil overs when you can just press a button.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

KidK9

Reaction score
1.) If your asking what the best brand is that is a bit of a loaded question. Like anything else every rose has its thorn. Not sure you can put your finger on the best as there are some really good companies out there. I don't know about the different brands as much as I probably should have before getting into it but I went to a local shop and they suggested Ridetech and why not, they are only 45 mins away. I have since gone up to their facility to pick up my last purchase and it really is a nice set up they have going there.

2.) If you are going with a traditional bag system at the very least you would need to modify the mounts to hold a bag. Now Ridetech and at least one other(I can't think of right now) offers an integrated air-shock/strut that will bolt up to aftermarket gear. Ridetech also makes rear control arms.

3.) When I went up and saw the facilty it was to pick up a set of of dual adjustable shockwaves, their brand of air-shock/struts. They do offer adjustability, and there was recently a 3-way set that came out for the front and working on a rear set. I have not got them on the car yet as I do not want to get overspray on them so I can't say with first hand knowledge how they are.

4.) You can set it up to what ever height you want to. Obviously there will be a point that has the best handling and a worst point. I have been using their E3 system with the ride height sensors on bags up till this point. It has 3 presets that you can set to any height you want. I set got an alignment done at the #2 setting and that is what I normally drive at. I hit #3 if I need the height and it raises it up pretty quickly.

5.) $$$ and simplicity in the idea that they know so much about coil-over characteristics effect on everything as well as less moving parts, less to worry about failing and needing repair.

6.) You can save money on a kit piecing it together and probably mixing some new/old stuff into it all. I like to try and get all my pieces in the same pace if I can out of a small ocd problem and because it makes it easier to go back to the same place if I need help or have a problem.

7.) Again a bit of a loaded question. With that being said I have said what brand I run and have had no issues with them. I know there are chdeaper kits but I do not know anyone running them.

8.) The ride is better then any lowered mustang I have been in. No vs a mustang at stock height you have the air ride up to the same height that is plenty of air for a smooth ride. Most lowered mustangs I have ridden in were a pretty stiff ride mainly due to the loss in space for the suspension work in. With air ride you can have it as low as you want but I rarely feel the need to try and drop it down low enough to while driving to worry about ripping my side exhaust skirts off. But at a reasonable height the air ride is a smoother ride, there is a reason why Lincoln liked them.

Tony is the resident air ride expert and I would take any advise he has over me though honestly. He has been in it a lot loner.......

Have you had any issues with popped bags or leaks?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Do you know is Ride tech has parts for 03-04 IRS? A lot of the info out there i was looking at is pretty old now .... it seems like yesterday though.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Have you had any issues with popped bags or leaks?

the only time I have really heard about problems with air ride is the old Lincoln kits. I know a few people running air ride but I do not know anyone that has had an issue with it. The systems are pretty robust and there is not that much going on with them between a compressor/tank/bag.

Do you know is Ride tech has parts for 03-04 IRS? A lot of the info out there i was looking at is pretty old now .... it seems like yesterday though.

I am 90% sure that the shockwaves will fit no problem on the IRS but not sure about the bags. But if you have questions look them up and give them a call or drop an email and ask they are super cool to deal with.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the cool ride line is just a universal bag and the mount needed to fit your car if I am not mistaken and the same thing I have on the car now. I upgraded to the shockwave so I could go to an upgraded suspension componants otherwise it doesn't have much use on it and will obviously be up for sale when its swapped out. Too much crap going on right now to even consider working on the car unfortunately as I am dying to see the new stuff on the car.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
although my purpose for bagging a car will never be track related, there are several combos available for that. today they have so many different setups your best bet is to hop on the phone and speak with a rep at ridetech. ask for josh as he is the most familiar with mustangs from anyone i've spoken with over there.

i think the reason people go with air ride these days is simply because thye cant get the ride height they want being static at all times without destroying their exhaust and kmemebers and shit lol. i just like air because it allows you to lay out parked and raise it to drive by just touching switches

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online