SN95 LED Gauge Cluster

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
SN95 LED Gauge Cluster and HVAC Controls
By: Trey - "TxCobrA98"
www.sn95forums.com

DISCLAIMER - I am not responsible for any problems (cluster failures, HVAC failures, shortages, electrical issues, personal harm to you or anyone else, etc...) from YOU attempting to do this LED swap. MY HOW TO article is to simply guide you through the process and help those that are unsure. I assume no responsibility if anything were to go wrong. However, I am responsible for all POSITIVE outcomes. =] This swap is very simple, just need basic knowledge and tools. You have been warned! If you wish to proceed, please continue, be safe and have fun!

After receiving about 5-10 PM's per day dealing solely with my 1998 Cobra's Gauge Cluster and HVAC controls, I have decided to write a "HOW TO" article. First and for most, I would like to clarify a few questions I have been asked. The gauge cluster and HVAC controls you will see in the following pictures or the first pictures are not aftermarket, not reverse-glo, not special edition or anything else. My gauge cluster and HVAC controls are the ones that were installed in my car from the factory.

Q. Now you might be asking, why do my gauges and controls look "bluer" or "brighter" than all of the other "stock" gauge clusters and HVAC controls?
A. I swapped out the stock "incandescent" bulbs in my cluster and controls with super bright "LED's."

Q. So whats the difference in the incandescent bulbs and LED bulbs and why does it make it appear blue?
A. Behind our clusters and HVAC controls lies a blue film (the film behind the number and dial cut outs are blue). An incandescent bulb emits a yellowish light (like most household bulbs that are incandescent). When you mix this yellowish light with a blue film, you get a green hue showing through the numbers of our clusters and dials of our controls. NOW, when you take the stock incandescent bulbs out and swap in their places the super bright, pure white LED's and mix it with the stock blue film, you get a BLUE hue. So white and blue = blue. Hopefully you get what im saying. That is why my gauge numbers and HVAC controls are now BLUE and not the stock green.

What you will need
wled-x5.jpg

7 Super Bright White LED's - Socket 194/168 (sockets are the same, just different numbers)
I bought my LED's from here (mine are the WLED-x5 Wedge Based Bulbs)

IMG_0826.jpg

A T-15 Torx Screwdriver

IMG_0835.jpg

A 2 mm (i believe thats what it was) allen/hex wrench. YOU ONLY NEED THIS IF YOU HAVE AN AFTERMARKET HEADLIGHT KNOB!

An 8mm Socket, Socket Wrench and a few LONG extensions. YOU ONLY NEED THESE IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON DOING THE HVAC CONTROL LED SWAP!

MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE FROM THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL!

OK, so lets get started!

Step 1
IMG_0824.jpg

Start with your untouched gauge cluster.

IMG_0832.jpg

Remove the two T-15 Torx head screws.

Step 2
STOCK HEADLIGHT KNOB
wht2.jpg

"You need to pull a retainer clip outwards (away from the shaft) and then pull this knob off gently." - MustangWorld.com

Aftermarket Headlight Knob
IMG_0833.jpg

Remove the 2 mm Allen/Hex screw in the side of your Headlight Knob Switch

Step 3
IMG_0839.jpg

Once you have the knob taken care of, carefully remove the gauge clusters bezel (clusters surrounding piece). It will be stubborn more than likely but it should come out, just try not to break it! After the bezel is out, unscrew the four surrounding bolts to remove the cluster itself. They are again T-15 Torx headed bolts.

Step 4
IMG_0841.jpg

Tilt the cluster by bringing the bottom out first. (like you would be putting the gauge faces pointing upwards)

Step 4.1
IMG_0844.jpg

Remove the black connector that is connected into the back of the cluster. Carefully pull it straight back and out.

Step 4.2
IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

Notice the white connector on the opposite end of the gauge cluster. Just like the black connector, remove the white connector the same way. Carefully pull straight back and out.

Step 5
IMG_0850.jpg

Once the two connectors are unplugged from the back of the cluster, carefully pull the cluster out. (It helps if you have the wheel tilted as low as it can go). From there, flip the cluster over and notice the 5 black TWIST style sockets. Untwisting the black sockets to the left will unlock them and allow you to pull them straight out.

Step 6
IMG_0853.jpg

Notice MY already installed LED.

IMG_0856.jpg

To replace the bulbs with your new LED's, simply pull the stock bulb out and replace with the LED. Put all the sockets back into the holes and get ready to reinstall the cluster!

So CONGRATS, we are halfway done with the swap! See, its not so bad right!?

REINSTALLATION of the Cluster

Step 7
IMG_0857.jpg

Start by re-inserting the white connector the the back of the gauge cluster. Do not force it in, it will go in if you have it aligned right. It will require a bit of pressure but not 100% strength lol.

Step 7.1
IMG_0861.jpg

Then go to the opposite side of the cluster and reinsert the black connector. Rules are the same as the white connector.

Step 7.2
Reinsert the Cluster with the gauge faces pointing upwards again and slide the bottom up and back to insert the cluster in its original position.

Step 7.3
ATTENTION! I would now suggest that you reconnect the negative battery cable to ensure your newly installed LED's are all working! Once you verify they are all on and in working condition, go back and DISCONNECT your negative battery cable.

Step 8
IMG_0862.jpg

Screw in the 4 T-15 Torx headed bolts to hold the cluster in place (be careful not to drop the bolts behind the cluster, you may not get them back!)

Step 9
IMG_0866.jpg

ATTENTION! Dont forget about the HEADLIGHT KNOB! Ive done this and reinstalled everything and its annoying to think your done and then notice your missing a headlight knob! Go ahead and pull out the headlight knobs shaft to the ON position and THEN install the gauge clusters bezel.

Step 10
IMG_0867.jpg

Reinstall your Headlight Knob with your 2 mm Allen/Hex wrench or simply push your stock knob back on (i remember having to adjust the retaining clip inside the knob when I had mine so you may have to play with it)

Step 11
IMG_0868.jpg

Reinstall the two T-15 Torx headed bolts into the clusters bezel and vwalah! or walah! or.... you get the point.

So, we have no completed the gauge cluster LED swap! If you are continuing on and doing the HVAC control LED swap, now is a great time to have a coke, pop, soda, w/e... Hey, im 18 so no beer for me. =P

LED HVAC CONTROLS SWAP

Step 1
IMG_0869.jpg

Here we start with a stock HVAC control head unit. If you have a DVD player, make sure you fold the face down before unplugging the negative battery cable.

Step 2
IMG_0872.jpg

Here I undid my shifter knob so I can remove the shifters bezel and boot.

Step 2.1
IMG_0873.jpg

Once the shifter bezel and boot is taken off of the main console, unplug the cigarette lighter.

Step 3
IMG_0874.jpg

Continuing, unscrew the two T-15 Torx headed screws securing the bezel.

Step 4
IMG_0875.jpg

After taking out your stereo's head unit, take your extensions as well as your 8mm (i believe thats what I used) socket and socket wrench.

IMG_0877.jpg

Unscrew the 8mm headed bolt that secure the bezel in place inside of the dash. (It is directly behind the stereo head unit. Follow the long black plastic piece)

Step 5
IMG_0878.jpg

YAY! Our bezel can now come off after a few pulls around the perimeter of the bezel! Like the gauge cluster bezel, be careful not to break it! The bezel will be stubborn but should come out with a bit of strength!

Step 6
IMG_0880.jpg

Here is the long black piece attached to the bezel and the hole that the 8mm screw goes in.

Step 7
IMG_0881.jpg

After the bezel is removed and carefully set down to avoid scratches, take your T-15 Torx screw driver and unscrew the four bolts holding the HVAC controls in place.

Step 7.1
IMG_0882.jpg

Once the four bolts are removed, carefully pull out the HVAC control unit and look for the 2 black TWIST style sockets. (These are exactly the same as the gauge cluster sockets)

Step 8
Twist out the sockets, replace the bulbs, and reinstall.
ATTENTION! I would suggest replugging up the negative battery cable and making sure the LED's work like before. Once you verify they are working, go ahead and unplug the negative battery cable again. After doing that, reinstall EVERYTHING in REVERSE order! Reconnect your negative battery cable, pull the headlight knob and again, VWALAH! You should now be greeted with a nice blue gauge cluster and HVAC controls!

Thats it! Not to long of a job but it can be aggravating. However, the results definitely speak for themselves! Hope my HOW TO was easy to follow and you got the output you desired

Cobra12.jpg

IMG_1102resize.jpg

IMG_1117resize.jpg

IMG_1118resize.jpg

After shots!

This tutorial was brought to you by Trey - "TxCobrA98". If you have ANY QUESTIONS, feel free to email me at elewarfare [AT] yahoo [dot] com or go to www.sn95forums.com and look in almost any thread for me. (TxCobrA98)

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Re: HOW TO: SN95 LED Gauge Cluster

if an ADMIN could please do something with this HOW TO to keep it at the top (sticky?) or move it to the right section as well as add it to the front page under the HOW TO area, that would be awesome!

hopefully this will answer everyones questions about the LED swap in our clusters. It really isn't hard (the radio bezel is the worst part and not that bad to begin with).... so hopefully this will please everyone. i spent some time on this so if you guys see errors, let me know!

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score

That's a great write-up man, thanks very much! I will probably have to do this...

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score

damn trey, that is one hell of a write up. i will be doing this and soon, doesnt seem to be hard or expensive!

cntchds

Reaction score

Thanks a lot! Doesn't look too hard.

Something to do on one of these rainy days.

VertTireSmoke

Reaction score

damn good write up man. anyway u could post up some pics of what it looks like with the new LEDs on? I might be interested in doing this sometime.

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

badass write up. this is more in detail than most magazine write ups. good work! :santa_afro:

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

You should add some Pics of the finished Product...other than that, great write-up

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score

you can kind of see it in his sig, but i would like to see the heater controls.....

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score

Maybe I am dumb, but what LED light's are you using for this? And can I use colorful ones?

Duur I'm a tard, I found it, nice job Trey!

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Sweet man, your a Pimp who shares.

do you have an after pic of it lit up?

your pinned!

Reaction score

2slo95fiveoh said:
badass write up. this is more in detail than most magazine write ups. good work! :santa_afro:

lol, thats cause sn95forums is better than nay magazine out there.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

souldnt this be in the "How To" section, not the garage?

97WhitePony

Reaction score

NewPics071.jpg

NewPics062.jpg

Same bulbs from superbright LEDs, its a white face gauge kit... with white LEDs in the dash, blue behind the AC.... The little blue box where my clock used to be, is my radar detector

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

yeah i was going to update the thread once i got better interior shots. the ones i have now dont show the right "blue".. i just remembered my sig pic though and that blue shows the correct color so im trying to find it now. i was going to hold off on posting up the how to article until i got a better AFTER shot but i knew some people were waiting on it so i went ahead and posted.. im looking in my photobucket account now to see if i have one uploaded. idk if the one in my signature is on photobucket or not.. hopefully it is because im at my girlfriends house so i dont have my computer or laptop... :santa_undecided:

J.R. said:
Maybe I am dumb, but what LED light's are you using for this? And can I use colorful ones?

Duur I'm a tard, I found it, nice job Trey!

hey man, yeah you could use different colored lights if you wanted I guess but remember the film behind the number cut outs in our clusters is blue.. so if you get say a red bulb and mix it with that blue film, its going to be purplish... thats the only reason i did white LED's.

also, ive had questions about this also, my LED's in my PILLAR GAUGES are blue, not white.. white will actually make the pillar gauges white (i put one of my white LED's in them and it looked sexy but i bought BLUE led's to match the gauge cluster)

94Pro-5.0

Reaction score

97WhitePony said:
The little blue box where my clock used to be, is my radar detector

do you mind showing a daytime pic of that?

scott5

Reaction score

thats easier than i thought, i am going to practice on my gt one before i take a chance on my cobra cluster

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I'll move it to the "how to" in a few weeks or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99