Sn95 manual swap trans tunnel

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Many of us have manual swapped our auto cars. Then we found the differences between the auto and manual trans tunnels. You have to cut away some of the auto tunnel for the manual to fit though correctly, but then the trim around the shifter doesn’t fit quite right. I recently found the shifter trim was hitting the bolts on my shifter and transferring a lot of noise, so I’ve been driving without it, that lets in a lot of heat.

So I started looking for solutions and found a kit for the Fox body cars, they sell the tunnel piece that just rivets in place and you can use the shifter trim again, but nobody sells a kit for the SN.

I gave it a go, and was not disappointed. It doesn’t go in to place exactly like the fox, but it fits the contour of the tunnel just the same. This is definitely a good thing to do if you manual swap your car. It fits the center console and everything just right. A27E4C78-3D53-4CA8-967C-D4B4BE508CF3.jpegCE1D1DE0-3704-467C-AB41-2B6CC9F69203.jpeg16B89F8C-649C-4AB1-A243-F4CA6D3F1817.jpeg

Snorky

Reaction score
Now do you cut the old one out and weld that piece in?

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Now do you cut the old one out and weld that piece in?
That tunnel piece is only in place on the manual cars, mine being a factory automatic car it didn’t have that hump to begin with. I had to cut the hole larger for the transmission to come through, then this new piece goes in place. I didn’t weld it in, just used some pop rivets to hold it down.

tvsn95

Reaction score
I had to cut the top of my tunnel out and build a new piece about 1" tall to get my TKO600 in to my car and keep the yoke angle right and not hitting the trans. The tunnel was double walled in spots ? My Cobra is factory stick . That trans is now in an 86 Fox,,,went right in . Hemm?? I have not seen or heard of anybody else that has done this??? for what its worth the (in my opinion) right way to seal this up is an industrial sealant called NP1. its made of butyl rubber , I think, and is Very similar to the seal sealer they used at the factory. Its increasable stuff. I find it at a concrete/masonry supply house.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I had to cut the top of my tunnel out and build a new piece about 1" tall to get my TKO600 in to my car and keep the yoke angle right and not hitting the trans. The tunnel was double walled in spots ? My Cobra is factory stick . That trans is now in an 86 Fox,,,went right in . Hemm?? I have not seen or heard of anybody else that has done this??? for what its worth the (in my opinion) right way to seal this up is an industrial sealant called NP1. its made of butyl rubber , I think, and is Very similar to the seal sealer they used at the factory. Its increasable stuff. I find it at a concrete/masonry supply house.
I also hadn’t seen anyone do this. I didn’t do it for years and just recently discovered the trim hitting the bolts on the shifter base, that’s what began the search.

Thanks for the tip on the sealer. Right now it is pulled against the peel and stick that’s on the floor and it should seal up ok. I’ll keep your recommendation in mind for when I pull this out to seal it up better.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I just want to update this. I drove the car for the first time since this install. My goodness what a difference. The heat inside is cut way down, and the road noise/engine & trans noise are greatly reduced. The car is actually more enjoyable now.

NicksGTR

Reaction score
When installing my manual trans tunnel piece I ground both mating surfaces clean and used SEM 2 part epoxy and glued it in place. Worked like a charm and you couldn't chisel that hump off.

1995vibredgt

Reaction score
Many of us have manual swapped our auto cars. Then we found the differences between the auto and manual trans tunnels. You have to cut away some of the auto tunnel for the manual to fit though correctly, but then the trim around the shifter doesn’t fit quite right. I recently found the shifter trim was hitting the bolts on my shifter and transferring a lot of noise, so I’ve been driving without it, that lets in a lot of heat.

So I started looking for solutions and found a kit for the Fox body cars, they sell the tunnel piece that just rivets in place and you can use the shifter trim again, but nobody sells a kit for the SN.

I gave it a go, and was not disappointed. It doesn’t go in to place exactly like the fox, but it fits the contour of the tunnel just the same. This is definitely a good thing to do if you manual swap your car. It fits the center console and everything just right. View attachment 16671View attachment 16672View attachment 16673
From looking for floor and trunk pan replacement for my SN, the floor and trunk is actually carried over from the fox body. If I'm incorrect, some please correct.
I'll have to find the article on it again though. I'll post it up as soon as I do.

OP
OP
lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
From looking for floor and trunk pan replacement for my SN, the floor and trunk is actually carried over from the fox body. If I'm incorrect, some please correct.
I'll have to find the article on it again though. I'll post it up as soon as I do.
I’m pretty sure you’re right. At the very least, it should be close enough to make it work. The gas tank is the same from the Fox up to 97 and that’s against the bottom of the trunk so it should be close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online