SN95 Oddball Steering Rack Identification

Monsterbishi

Reaction score
Recently I've acquired a power steering rack that appears to be from a Mustang (main assembly has RF-F6SC-3550-AA) but I've run into a wall as far figuring out what year or spec it may have come from.

Its detail stamping is

SPR NJ
98E26B

Which comes up with next to no results when searching, google included.

In fact, I've only found two actual mentions of a SPR NJ rack, one in a rack conversion thread that simply says 'The jury is out on this one' about it, and another mention I found was of one that was a remanufactured rack which renders the tag all but useless.

it's about 47" end to end, and is about 1.9 turns lock to lock compared to the 2.5 turns lock to lock that my 1994 GT has.

So, are there any steering guru's out there who can shed some light on the matter?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what that one is. Mine is an SPR-ZM from an 04 Cobra but not sure about the NJ number.

OP
OP
M

Monsterbishi

Reaction score
One of the ideas that we've come up with here is that the rack was possibly built by Ford as a mobility option, to allow disabled folk easier use something akin to a reduced effort steering system.

As far as a quickrack goes, I've never come across one this fast before, it's awesome :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online