SN95 rear brake caliper brackets.

9838stang

Reaction score
So i have had this bug for the longest time now, going on 4 or 5 years. I have looked high and low all over the land of the inter-webs. I have searched if anyone has done this. Since doing the rear baer 13" upgrade on the car it has amplified this idea more and more. I have like the look of the rear brake caliper bracket on the 94-04 cobras way more than the 94-04 v6/gt's. I was curious if anyone has done this. Just used the cobra rear brake caliper bracket to swap onto the v6/gt rear axles.... From looking all over the place, all i could find were people notice the only difference was of course how the bracket connect on the outside from both slider locations, versus the v6/gt bracket doesnt. Also the bracket for the cobra was wider for the wider cobra caliper. But I was curious if anyone has swapped just the bracket over.

I know it will not do anything for the car performance wise nor will it help with braking. I am looking to do this only for the looks.

It looks to my the caliper brackets are the same size, and the bolt hole locations are the same as well as the slider locations, but i could be wrong. If i can get out of class earlier tonight ill try to stop by a part store and see for my self but i was just asking you nice folks if you knew.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/general-mustang-tech/1163075-cobra-brakes-help.html

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1591083

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Now, the non cobra bracket has the caliper bracket bolts in the back side so if it looks funny that is why

Cpotts13

Reaction score
This is my answer and reasoning

Yes you can because when you do the frpp rear brake upgrade it reuses the oem gt/v6 rear caliper with the cobra rear rotors/ mounting point. It would make sense right?
I was under the impression that the only difference between the cobra and the gt rear brake calipers is that the cobra use thinner pads to accommodate the thicker vented rotor.

lutter94

Reaction score
The caliper is the same. That's a given. Only thing to wonder is, will it relocate the caliper in relation to the rotor? Since the cobra bracket is designed for use with the 11.5" rotor, rather than the 10".

I would assume its the same, keyword assume, I have no proof/evidence.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
The caliper is the same. That's a given. Only thing to wonder is, will it relocate the caliper in relation to the rotor? Since the cobra bracket is designed for use with the 11.5" rotor, rather than the 10".

I would assume its the same, keyword assume, I have no proof/evidence.

No that is what the cobra mounting plate is for. It is taller/ longer which puts the caliper bracket out further.

kb1982

Reaction score
The area circled in red is also different on the cobra brackets. It has been hogged out to clear the larger rotors. Since the caliper is the same size physically, the caliper has to be mounted up higher to clear the larger radius of the cobra rotors. I made a drawing of what using a smaller rotor with the braket would look like to show why it wouldnt work. I was gonna say to ignore the red arrows in the pics, because they are where i have to grind my new calipers to fit with 15 inch rims. But upon that thought, the gt rear breaks fit without grinding. That alone tells you the bracket moves the caliper upwards. I over thought it while making the picture.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Right. That is what happens with the BAER rear kit. It pushed the rotor further up and back.

But if they both use the same caliper... I would imagine that the bolt holes are in the same location as well

kb1982

Reaction score
The measurement between center to center of the two points in black have to be different in order to move the caliper higher. Bracket mounting bolts will be the same.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
But I would imagine the brackets would be the same... Its the axle housing backing plate that gives the caliper bracket the location of where is sits. I was wondering the distance from the two mounting holes on the bracket itself....

kb1982

Reaction score
I would go with your first suggestion, go to the parts store and measure the mounting points. If they do require a different backing plate, that means the axles will need to come out. I am for sure that the part numbers are different between the 95 GT and cobra caliper brackets.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Actually you need this to make it work. These are the axle housing plates I was talking about. The the calipers won't clear the rotors with out these.

kb1982

Reaction score
Yeh I just thought about that. Reason for the edit on my above post. I was gonna switch to a gt setup on my cobra so I didnt have to grind on calipers, but that was the deal killer. I had a caliper on the rear stick, about two weeks after I replaced the locker in the rear, and I wasnt about to pull the axles for that.

lutter94

Reaction score
No that is what the cobra mounting plate is for. It is taller/ longer which puts the caliper bracket out further.

I didn't mean to swap rotors. I.e. keep GT brakes, but swap to the cobra bracket (for appearance sake). Would it relocate the caliper at all.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Keep GT brakes and put cobra brackets on it should all work in theory, I say that because when putting cobra rear brakes you change that axle plate and reuse the existing braket/caliper combination. That makes me think they will interchange.

lutter94

Reaction score
Keep GT brakes and put cobra brackets on it should all work in theory, I say that because when putting cobra rear brakes you change that axle plate and reuse the existing braket/caliper combination. That makes me think they will interchange.

Are you saying you have swapped to cobra brakes and kept the GT bracket?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Are you saying you have swapped to cobra brakes and kept the GT bracket?

I didn't keep the swap, but yes. I put cobra pads and rotors on my car with stock gt calipers and brackets. The only hardware change needed was the axle mounting plate that is pictured above.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
Well I stopped in at autozone today. The had the only one in MN. Napa Auto Parts O'Reilly didn't have it in stock. O'Reilly was the closest one to have one and it is in Wisconsin. I bought the last one at Autozone. They couldn't get another for a couple weeks.... Don't ask why lol

So I stopped back off at O'Reilly and ordered that one too. But when I was at autozone I eye balled it and looked it over. The location where the slide pins go in were the same. That was a given... The distance front the slide pin the bolt hole location looked to be the same as well. And the distance between the bolt holes that mount the bracket to the axle looks to be the same too. So all is looking good. I am heading home now, I forgot to being one of the bolts with to see how the thread pitch was on the cobra bracket compared to the stock one.

There was 1 different that I saw right away between the two brackets other the the how the cobra bracket looked compared to the stock one. The location where the boot for the slide pin... The actual tab where the boot snaps onto, it is physically smaller and the the correct slide pin boots are supplied in the kit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online