sn95gt whril sound

Tattoogod

Reaction score
hey guys im new to this site and to the sn95 scene. I mostly know the fox body.well anyhow this car has 153,000 but extremely tight.trans shifts very very good..clutch grabs great..all stock stuff is on the car. well heres the problem im hearing..when ever you rev the motor you hear this whirl sound comming from the pass side..at first it sounded like the trans or something..but when you put the window down you can hear it..it doesnt matter if its in gear or not..does the smog pump make weird sounds when they are going out.or is there some pump that may be whining.also there is no vibration in the clutch pedal.so i doubt its the Thow out bearing.its the only sound this car makes..and it runs and drives like new..since ive never been under the hood of one of these cars i have no idea where to even start looking for this sound..ju7st hoping one of you gurus may of had this same problem..thanks in advance for taking time to read this.

Tim

Addermk2

Reaction score
sounds like you might have a leak in your smog pump lines... just pull it all out and plug the holes.... makes the engine bay look cleaner too

ryclef331

Reaction score
take the accessory belt off and fire the car up quick and see if it still does it. If it stops, then you've narrowed the problem down.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
you got a good point lol..ill post back tomorrow afternoon and let you all know if it fixied it on not..my luck its in the trans..can a 5 speed make a noise like that even if its not in gear?

jimgt95

Reaction score
Tattoogod said:
you got a good point lol..ill post back tomorrow afternoon and let you all know if it fixied it on not..my luck its in the trans..can a 5 speed make a noise like that even if its not in gear?

The noise would not be coming from the trans if it was not in gear. I agree with the taking a look at the smog pump air line to the cats. I had an 86 GT do that to me and it took quite a while to track it down to the air line.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
ok i said all stock..but i got a closer look and i found subframe connectors welded on..theres a K&N filter.i just janked out the air tube that runs down to the cats..it was cut and that was my rattling prob...but my whirling/moaning noise is still there..im thinking that its in the trans some how..i know theres a gear in the car..i was running 80 and my brother said he was only doing barley 65 to 70..do any of you know what gears might be in the rear..and what size speedo gear im gonna need to slow down the mph needle..i was thinking possibly a 23 "white one" it does gring 2nd if you hit it real hard..so im thinking the t5 is causing me the problems..you can hear the nopise good when your going through the gear after you put the clutch in and the rpm's start to drop..but the noise is only for like a scpl of seconds then gone. Ill keep you all posted as i find more goodies on this car..I still cant believe how well the motor runs and how tight the car feels for 153,000 miles :banana:

FEAST SN95 JPN

Reaction score
With the gears in mind, the stock ones on teh GT should be 327 or 308. But if your seeing a change in speed meter readings, im assuming that the gears could be 355 or numerically higher. Now with your sound, it could be the gears howelling due to not being set up properly.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
the whizzing sound is definitley comming from the front.not the rear,,sounds like the pass side firewall floor pan area..hope that helps..its more of a whizzzzzzzing sound

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Get a speedcal, not a speedo gear, they grind away within a year or two. As far as the rear gears, sounds kinda like 4.10's but I'm not positive.

jimgt95

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not your serpentine belt? I put a Goodyear Gatorback belt on my 97 F150 and if makes a wizzing/whirling noise everytime I shift and especially at lower rpms. It is really noticeable when the windows are down and you are driving around a parking lot. Look at your belt and check that the ribs are either solid or broken up in a tire tread pattern (Gatorback style).

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
the ribs are solid.and it a new belt the guy put on the car..ive never had this problem with any of my fox bodies..i have an advance auto store down the street..what belt would you recomend. are the solid rib or the broken ribs better? hmm maybe i should just try a broken ribs to see if it stops huh ; :D

Downshift

Reaction score
Im thinking its a small exhaust leak. Not big enough to sound like one did you tighten everything up around there for the exhaust?

jimgt95

Reaction score
Tattoogod said:
the ribs are solid.and it a new belt the guy put on the car..ive never had this problem with any of my fox bodies..i have an advance auto store down the street..what belt would you recomend. are the solid rib or the broken ribs better? hmm maybe i should just try a broken ribs to see if it stops huh ; :D
I would not recommend a Gatorback style belt for anything that needs to have really good belt tension. Like a supercharger engine for example. The broken up rib pattern actually causes less belt to be in contact with the pulleys. This could lead to slipping. I've never had any problems with mine but my truck is just a stock daily driver.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
it is the smog pump itself making the noise..i had my buddy give it gas while i was under the hood..so now im looking for a used smog delete kit..i will trade 2 practilly new 2.5" magna flow ,high flow cats for a smog delete kit if anyone is intertested.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
;D update i started the car and put a long metal bar to each pump,water,smog,and power steering..low behold the power steering pump is whinning..with the belt off the water pump sounds like rubber squeaking when the pulley spins..is that normal or is the water pump going out also? and is there a trick to getting the pulley on and off of the power steering pump shaft?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online