SnakeMedic's 98 Cobra vert adventure!

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Now that I have done a few things to the Cobra, it is time to start a build thread. First, this site has been great so far for me and I have already bought some parts from another member! Thanks guys for the help you have already given and I am sure will continue to give me. Now on to the car.

Purchased 8/27 from Reno Auto Center it is a Crystal White 98 Cobra convertible with black top and saddle interior. Supposedly only 1 of 6 made in this combination in 1998. Bought with 107,350 on the odometer, and it was not stock. What I know it had:
-Vortech V1 supercharger
-caster camber plates
-lowered
-short throw shifter
-Hurst T handle
-SLP exhaust
-reflective rear bumper insert
-Optima red top battery

Sadly, I still have no info on the tune or if any internal mods were done. Still working on that. Vortech does custom write tunes for each supercharger it sells, so I will likely give them a buzz to see what they know.

This was as it sat when I bought it:

I did remove the pinstriping down the sides already. I prefer the clean looks without it.

As good as the pic makes it look, I assure you it is not THAT clean. Paint I would say is about a 5/10. Interior 7/10 with normal wear and tear noticed. Top was 9/10. Wheels 7/10 and tires 5/10. Engine ran strong and had no noises/issues noted 7/10. Brakes looked good on visual outside of the inner ring of the rotors being rusted. Time to get out a wire brush!

After driving it for a couple weeks, I noticed what I assume to be a pulley squeak/whine that is coming from an as yet undetermined location - possibly the supercharger or just under it. I also now get a whine when turning the wheel at low speeds. So, possibly power steering issues. I have also noticed just a few drops of oil of some sort on the ground, just not sure if its power steering fluid or engine oil. Just gotta get the time to look more into it.

Also the headlight switch does not function properly. It never gets fully bright, and when dimming it comes in and out. Makes seeing speed/rpm at night hard.... Have a new switch on the way.

Had to add a battery tie down since there oddly was not one there when I bought it.

Replaced the stock stereo with a nice Sony unit with BT, USB, AUX and all that fun stuff. I went with the Sony because it has the ability to read my text/email through the stereo. Huge selling point for me.

I then went to remove the Hurst T handle and it ended up shearing off the short shifter so I could not put any knob on there. So I ordered a Steeda TRI-AX and put that on with the Momo knob a buddy gave me. Actually looks pretty solid, and love the way it shifts. Had a TRI-AX on my 94 and 01 GT's with no issues so I know it is good. Pics of that and the stereo here:

I now have a few more parts on the way, small things though like door lock pins and headlight switch knob. It has a billet one on there that just does not look right to me. Not my style at all.

That is it for now, though I know this car will keep me busy and happy! Absolutely love it, and as my 5th Mustang I finally got the Cobra I was lusting after back in high school!

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Bunch of little things accomplished.

Stock door lock pins
Stock headlight knob
Replaced headlight switch (can now see gauges at night!)
Oil changed - Mobil 1
Clay bar over whole car

Also have full LED lights coming - rearview mirror lights, license plate lights and also gauge cluster and HVAC lights. Reminds me I need the license plate light housing replaced, both of them are cracked.

Have an email into Vortech about what the supercharger kit comprised of. Gave them the serial # and they are researching it for me! Perhaps some good news, although any news of what it all is is going to be very good!!

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nice man.... the death is in the details..... even something as trivial as a headlight knob can totally change the way a car feels.... (I know because I hate mine. LOL)

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
nice man.... the death is in the details..... even something as trivial as a headlight knob can totally change the way a car feels.... (I know because I hate mine. LOL)

Agreed. It had a terrible billet one in there before. I know some people dig the billet buttons and knobs, but to me it looks so cheesy. Completely out of place in this car. Leave the interior mostly stock and focus on performance.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sell me those corner lights!

I'll give you good money for em ;)

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Sell me those corner lights!

I'll give you good money for em ;)

LOL. Why you want them so bad? The weather stripping is all cracked and peeling. I have considered replacing them soon, but have yet to find a style I like in the 1 piece design.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
LOL. Why you want them so bad? The weather stripping is all cracked and peeling. I have considered replacing them soon, but have yet to find a style I like in the 1 piece design.

I've been looking for those for the longest time. They're full amber right? I don't use the weather stripping anyways lol.

If you ever do want to let them go, let me know. I'll take em off your hands. I'll even send you my black housing corner lights + cash if you want that way you aren't without corner lights while you continue your search :D

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
I've been looking for those for the longest time. They're full amber right? I don't use the weather stripping anyways lol.

If you ever do want to let them go, let me know. I'll take em off your hands. I'll even send you my black housing corner lights + cash if you want that way you aren't without corner lights while you continue your search :D

Yep, full amber. 100% stock. Literally the only thing changed on the car outside of the engine bay was putting that lame billet headlight knob and Hurst shifter handle on it. It is like a gold mine for remaining so stock. Since I have been out of the Mustang game, particularly the SN95 game for 16 yrs, I had no idea the amber corners were so coveted.

How do you not use the weather stripping?? Curiosity piqued..... LOL I feel like an SN95 noob all over again.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Realized I need to get a boost gauge. Any one far and away better than another? What about location? Pillar best? I am shocked that there is not one on there already. Who adds FI and does not put a boost gauge on? Weird.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, full amber. 100% stock. Literally the only thing changed on the car outside of the engine bay was putting that lame billet headlight knob and Hurst shifter handle on it. It is like a gold mine for remaining so stock. Since I have been out of the Mustang game, particularly the SN95 game for 16 yrs, I had no idea the amber corners were so coveted.

How do you not use the weather stripping?? Curiosity piqued..... LOL I feel like an SN95 noob all over again.

The manufacterer (Option R) of those corner lights stopped making them and they have a 8 week wait time to get a pair if you get them directly from them lol. I check ebay occasionally but no one sells them anymore. As far as the weatherstripping, I just never liked the look of it so I removed it...

14306055270_14cac4d5b2_b.jpg

Realized I need to get a boost gauge. Any one far and away better than another? What about location? Pillar best? I am shocked that there is not one on there already. Who adds FI and does not put a boost gauge on? Weird.

Can't go wrong with autometer. I've also had good luck with my Stewart Warner gauge from Summit racing. You can buy a single or double gauge pod for the side pillar on verts. I currently have a 2 pod setup in mine. Another alternative is getting a new instrument bezel with the gauge pods or replacing the clock.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
The manufacterer (Option R) of those corner lights stopped making them and they have a 8 week wait time to get a pair if you get them directly from them lol. I check ebay occasionally but no one sells them anymore. As far as the weatherstripping, I just never liked the look of it so I removed it...

14306055270_14cac4d5b2_b.jpg

Can't go wrong with autometer. I've also had good luck with my Stewart Warner gauge from Summit racing. You can buy a single or double gauge pod for the side pillar on verts. I currently have a 2 pod setup in mine. Another alternative is getting a new instrument bezel with the gauge pods or replacing the clock.

Ah. I see now. When I do replace the headlights I was likely going to keep them. I always like keeping my stock parts just in case. Did not realize the amber corners were somewhat rare. Good to know! However, if I ever do sell them, you have first shot!

I have always liked autometer. I will probably go with the single pillar pod. Since I have a 98, there is no clock on the dash.

Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Installed some of the LED lights. Gauge cluster and reverse (though I need new housings, mine are broken and don't protect the bulbs). Gotta get a few more bulbs for the rearview mirror and HVAC controls. Gauges look so much better. Brighter and bluer. I dig.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
This thread needs more pics! Lol. Nice platform though dude you've got some good ideas for the car :thumbsup:

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of the LEDs installed for the gauge cluster. Still need to get some for the HVAC, but it is interesting to see the color difference.

Makes me wish I got some before pics of the gauges. Oh well.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Two things I need to get figured out.

1) I have a pulley that is failing. Have no idea which one though. Impossible to tell by listening, and reaching down in there to see if one is loose is not happening due to space. Best bet is the idler/tensioner pulley which is cheapest and easiest to change. Just gotta decide if its worth it to change it just because and hope its the one.

2) power steering fluid leak. Also cannot tell where it comes from, again room to visually inspect or feel around is making it difficult. I doubt it would be bad to just swap out the PS pump, as I am sure the stock unit is tired anyways. So far cheapest I can find is $120 though. Gotta do a bit more shopping before I pull the trigger. I would also likely just replace all lines to make everything tip top.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Went to the junk yard today to see what I could come up with.

Ended up getting a vent since the passenger side one by the door had one fin cracked and also decided to swap out the center console insert for the older one that has a full felt inside and the pull out cup holder. I hate the cup holders in the 98. Such stupid placement, not deep enough. I always hit my drinks when shifting. Even got a different console lid that is in MUCH better condition than mine. Have to modify the closing mechanism. I do think the magnet type is superior as it is easier to open and does not crack the underside of the lid as easily. Pics likely tomorrow.

Also going to go back to get the idler and tensioner pulleys off of a V8 TBird as the part numbers are the same for my car and it. Hopefully that will take care of my squeak/squeal/ridiculously annoying noise.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Just went ahead and bought brand new idler and tensioner pulleys. The cost difference was like $5 total, plus then I would have to pull off a used part. Not worth it.

Also picked up a boost gauge and a single pillar pod. Was thinking of getting a wideband AF gauge too, but those ended up being pricey and I have lots of other small things I want to get done, so that will wait. Pillar pod was ordered, comes in next week.

Oh, gauge is a AutoMeter C2. The blue lighting it has will match the gauges with LEDs in it much better, so that is why I chose it. Hope it is not too hard to install!!

Something else I have added to the list is wider rear wheels since traction is a ridiculous problem. WOT in lower gears - even into 3rd at high RPM - is something that I almost have to avoid as I just end up getting a little sideways. First world problems, I know.

OP
OP
SnakeMedic

SnakeMedic

Reaction score
Oh dang! Found this gem taped up in under the glove box! Why it was stuck up there I have no idea. BUT now I know when the SC was installed, and since it is from Vortech, I assume the tune is too. I am going to call them Monday morning with all the info. Perhaps I will finally know what tune and the specifics of it are!!!!