So help me decide on what to do to the L first?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Alright so I'm lost on what I should do to the new L first, the stock rims suck so that is something that is driving me crazy. As well as the ride height :mad:. Then there is the stereo :nonono: thats a complete joke. Then of course there is the under the hood mods ^-^. So where should I start :dunno: :dunno: tires/rims............stereo............lowering............or power mods ??? ??? ??? What do you guys think??

Either way I go its going to cost some green, from wheels ( prob over a grand ) to stereo maybe less than a grand, or the lowering parts ( springs and shackles ) after parts and labor prob close to a grand. Or the power mods...........god thats endless ;D

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Hey congrats on the purchase man,I just noticed your avi 8)

If it was me,I would start on the motor first,.....but that's just me,I love sleepers.

I'd do the shackle kit,and a aftermarket H/U first....just to improve the asthetics,and creature comforts. The factory rims don't look as bad once it's lowered....so it might be tolerable enough to hold off on rims,and go do some engine mods first.

As for the motor.....

Pulley swap,and tune

MAF and T/B upgrade,with inlet pipe and Big Mouth filter....just for starters. :angel:

Suspect

Reaction score
+1 suspension would prolly be 1st for me too. u have decent power to hold off for a lil.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mods for the L. mmmmmmmm.

Here's what I'd suggest:
Tune it! better throttle response and shifting response :)
Wheels - Yesss
Catback - magnaflow sounds good on the L I detailed.
smaller pulley ;)
HID headlight conversion

OP
OP
Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
94twinscrew said:

If it was me,I would start on the motor first,.....but that's just me,I love sleepers.

I'd do the shackle kit,and a aftermarket H/U first....just to improve the asthetics,and creature comforts. The factory rims don't look as bad once it's lowered....so it might be tolerable enough to hold off on rims,and go do some engine mods first.

As for the motor.....

Pulley swap,and tune

MAF and T/B upgrade,with inlet pipe and Big Mouth filter....just for starters. :angel:

hmmm, from what I have read the TB's dont do much unless you have MAJOR mods on an L :dunno:

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
swap the pulleys to run more boost then get a tune, then magnaflow exhaust ftw

Suspect

Reaction score
well u can do like i do and switch back and forth. i do one mod that will make it faster then my next mod will be something to make it look or handle better.
;)

OP
OP
Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
just ignore my response all together :'(

I'm not ignoring your post.........you just wrote down 3 or 4 things all at once, I don't have that much to spend right now ;D ;D ;D

The pulley swap is a must, but I want to try to choose a path and go one way now. When I get under the hood I want to get all the little things and do it all at once then take it and have it dyno tuned. :boink:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Dalamar said:

I'm not ignoring your post.........you just wrote down 3 or 4 things all at once, I don't have that much to spend right now ;D ;D ;D

The pulley swap is a must, but I want to try to choose a path and go one way now. When I get under the hood I want to get all the little things and do it all at once then take it and have it dyno tuned. :boink:
I'm just playin

Ya, you could do the pulley and tune in one shabang.
I'd say wheels and mufflers, but that's me. It's a clean looking Truck

OP
OP
Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Snakebit said:
Dalamar said:

I'm just playin

Ya, you could do the pulley and tune in one shabang.
I'd say wheels and mufflers, but that's me. It's a clean looking Truck

so did that one you drove have just a muffler and pipe, or did it have a mid and headers too?

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
94twinscrew said:

As for the motor.....

Pulley swap,and tune

hmmm, from what I have read the TB's dont do much unless you have MAJOR mods on an L :dunno:

On any P/D motor,inlet restriction makes the compressor less efficient,because it has to work harder to pull the air in....you'll get more gains from the lager filter and maf,but the t/b along with a pulley swap,will net you more than you think.....The T/B is good for about 10-15hp,which is still 10 more than you had before >:D (I'm a firm believer that you can get blood from a stone)

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
heres my thoughts and its the way i usually do stuff i start with the interior its where you spend all your time so i would make the stereo my first mod after that would be lowering and then wheels and lastly performance they run pretty stout as it is so engine mods wouldn't make it high on the list but i am more of a apperance guy then a full out performance guy so you can ignore this post if you want

ck5.0

Reaction score
Johnny Lightning Cold Air
C&L inlet
C&L plenum
Ford Racing 90mm mass air
LFP 6 pound lower pulley
LFP tensioner brace and 100mm idler pulleys
Super Chip

My brothers lightning ran awesome with these mods.

97vertstang

Reaction score
first mods: EXHAUST!!!! change the exhaust and than induction. after that get a pulley and a tune.
once u have the basics done,lower it and change the stereo.

G

GREG@SN95

Suspension, Wheels/Tires, Gears & Exhaust

Truck is too high
Wheels are way to small.. make sure yer tires have meet... Anorexic tires FTL!
Gears are a blast
Quit trucks are for the queers!

ryclef331

Reaction score
Ok man....here you go.

You want ALOT of things so I'm going to hit them all where they won't hit your wallet hard....well except stereo b/c I don't know hardly listen to mine.

PRE-FIRST....OIL SEPERATOR!!!!! Go out there and take off your inlet elbow, and crack the throttle body open...if its stock I'll put MONEY on the fact you've got oil in the intake. Take a trip to lowes or home depot and get an air compressor air / water seperator and 3/8" barb'd fittings. Less that 25 bones. PUT IT ON THE TRUCK! You'll see some guys say "that shit belongs on a tool, not a truck, bla bla bla..." Bottom line is...it WORKS. Slap it on, go out, do a couple of full throttle blasts....1 or 2 gear changes will do it. Then pull over, look at the bowl. You'll see oil. THAT oil was on its way into the blow and ONTO the intercooler will it will gum it up! How many miles are on the truck BTW? Might be a good idea to pull the blower and clean the intercooler sometime! I've never EVER heard of the oil in the intake problem popping a motor but it still isn't supposed to be there. If you don't know where it should go, lemme know. Its a 5 minute / 25 dollar job that will make your junk ALOT cleaner. Just drain the bowl back into the motor every fill up!

FIRST...you want suspension...get some drop shackles. They can be had for a 3" rear drop to level the truck out for probably $75 bucks. Install is an hour if you know what your're doing. That should tide you over for the the suspension until you really wanna slam it.

SECOND...The motor....Throttle bodies don't do CHIT until you need them. Mine had an Accufab from the previous owner on it...yours bone stock just dyno'd higher. Cold air intake....the choice is yours and of course....you know what I'm going to say, 6lb Pulley and an IMMEDIATE TUNE! Wayne has Sniper software which is FANTASTIC on the mod motors. Trust me when I say, thats ALL you'll need b/c thats close to ALL that motor will take! You can add the exhaust of your choice when you can afford it to make yourself "heard" and YES, magnaflows sound GOOD...I know...I had'em.

THIRD....Red tails....

FOURTH....the $17 dollar grill mod. Look at my old grille...and look at yours. Bling it out. That is that tacky ass chrome stick-on trim you see slapped all over the wanna-be low rider shit boxes....stuck on the grille. It sets the truck OFF I think. Call it a Poor man's harley grille. It'll take a lil less than two rolls and a razor blade.

136434385.jpg

Check out www.nloc.net for parts used. I bought a few things and sold some stuff on there as well. ALOT of parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online