SO i may be running KB at the track this weekend HELP

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hellion94 said:
NEVER do a 10 sec burnout...at the track at least.

TOTALLY pointless. just go around the water, back up to the edge of it (have a friend help you) Then spin them a little.

Roll forward, drop the clutch in first, or second if you can, and just get some good smoke out of it. just make sure the smake is coming out good, then roll out of the burnout under power. That'll make sure you don't get any water on the tires, sometimes it gets drug out of the waterbox and makes its way farther out onto the track surface. but no more than 5 seconds of burnout is needed. trust me. After that the oils in the tires will start to come up due to the heat, and make your tires more slippery.

then rev it up to 2500, dump the clutch at the lights and then hold it at like half throttle for a moment, and then give it hell when you think it will hook. And don't let up on the gas pedal.

I am quoteing the BFG company when I say this " the BFG Drag Radials work best when a long burnout is done and the tires are heated " let me see if I can find it, Im sure it quotes the temperature that the tires should be for maximum performance. The 10 second thing may be over kill, it just depends on what you call a good burn out and how long it takes to get them to operating temp.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95KBGT said:
Hellion94 said:
NEVER do a 10 sec burnout...at the track at least.

TOTALLY pointless. just go around the water, back up to the edge of it (have a friend help you) Then spin them a little.

Roll forward, drop the clutch in first, or second if you can, and just get some good smoke out of it. just make sure the smake is coming out good, then roll out of the burnout under power. That'll make sure you don't get any water on the tires, sometimes it gets drug out of the waterbox and makes its way farther out onto the track surface. but no more than 5 seconds of burnout is needed. trust me. After that the oils in the tires will start to come up due to the heat, and make your tires more slippery.

then rev it up to 2500, dump the clutch at the lights and then hold it at like half throttle for a moment, and then give it hell when you think it will hook. And don't let up on the gas pedal.
well heres where im nervous, the only time i have tried to do a burnout in my car it was in 2nd and the ass end starting wondering to the left until i let off and i was pretty damn crooked on the street.

have you ever been to a strip with your car? when you go and do your burnout there will be a guy there at the line that will put his hand on the side of your car to help keep it going forward while you heat em up.

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
i have been to the strip and i have never seen this. i dont get it cause my old cars would stay straight. so thats why im worried about my ass wondering around

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95KBGT said:
i have been to the strip and i have never seen this. i dont get it cause my old cars would stay straight. so thats why im worried about my ass wondering around

what the hell goes on down there in Texas strips :dunno: :dunno: you guys dont have a track man thats there at the line and holds the left side of the car while the burn out is done ??? ??? How about a guy with a HUGE mop that clears the burnt off rubber ???

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Have you tried to hold a burnout with the 315s? That wide of a tire might hold it straight better. :dunno:

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
95KBGT said:

what the hell goes on down there in Texas strips :dunno: :dunno: you guys dont have a track man thats there at the line and holds the left side of the car while the burn out is done ??? ??? How about a guy with a HUGE mop that clears the burnt off rubber ???
occasionally, and that was with the 315's on there.

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Don't do a burn out for more than a few secs,it's not needed......a burnout is only meant to clean your tires from debris,that's all. A second or two of spinning will produce all the heat that you need for almost every street tire. I would suggest leaving at 2200-2400rpms,half throttle,and then roll into the pedal. I wouldn't try power shiftin either,it's not worth the inevitable carnage...believe me. Your car is pretty much stock right,besides the kb? If so,you should be looking at high 8's,so don't get upset if you don't come close to 7's in the 1/8th. You would be lookin at high 12's to mid 13's in the quarter,depending on how aggressive you are.

Oh ya,almost forgot.....don't forget to bring an extra belt incase you snap it,a cooler full of ice packs on the compressor is your best friend during cool down,a can of NOS octane boost to a 1/4 tank will give you 1 full point of octane.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ok Paul if you will hang around for at least 30 minutes I will post a vid of what im talking about. Now this vid is going to be crappy because its on a VHS tape, im going to play it on my TV and record it with my wifes camera ( it has a video recoreder on it ) Ill also get a vid of my 91 GT when it was close to stock, ( stock Paint / on the bottom half - full exhaust - and gears. Let me go do that and Ill be right back

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
94twinscrew said:
Don't do a burn out for more than a few secs,it's not needed......a burnout is only meant to clean your tires from debris,that's all. A second or two of spinning will produce all the heat that you need for almost every street tire. I would suggest leaving at 2200-2400rpms,half throttle,and then roll into the pedal. I wouldn't try power shiftin either,it's not worth the inevitable carnage...believe me. Your car is pretty much stock right,besides the kb? If so,you should be looking at high 8's,so don't get upset if you don't come close to 7's in the 1/8th. You would be lookin at high 12's to mid 13's in the quarter,depending on how aggressive you are.
i have BFG drag radials 315's. i got minor bolt ons and im running on 111 Octane. i dynoed at 300HP and 390TQ with 245 street tires and a slipping clutch. I just have misc mods with the kb. CAI 75mm TB, 42# injectors Exhaust, 3.73 gears

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
94twinscrew said:

Drag radials ARE NOT STREET TIRES, THEY ARE A RACING TIRE MADE OF A SUPER SOFT COMPOUND LIKE SLICKS AND REQUIRE TO BE HEATED JUST LIKE A SLICK IN ORDER TO HOOK.

Paul has almost 300 rwhp and 380 tq and you think hes not going to do better than a high 8 = high 13 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
Snakebit said:
94twinscrew said:

Drag radials ARE NOT STREET TIRES, THEY ARE A RACING TIRE MADE OF A SUPER SOFT COMPOUND LIKE SLICKS AND REQUIRE TO BE HEATED JUST LIKE A SLICK IN ORDER TO HOOK.

Paul has almost 300 rwhp and 380 tq and you think hes not going to do better than a high 8 = high 13 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
haha the last time i talked to twinscrew and he knew what i have i believe i bought a pulley off of him and i had stock street tires... and no mods but the KB :rollinglaugh:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95KBGT said:
Snakebit said:
94twinscrew said:

haha the last time i talked to twinscrew and he knew what i have i believe i bought a pulley off of him and i had stock street tires... and no mods but the KB :rollinglaugh:

Paul your car is way faster than a high 13 you have almost 100 more RWHP than stock and additional 100 or so on the tq, you have the sticky tires to hook so unless your the biggest pussy in the world and cant drive high 13's are a joke.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95KBGT said:
well im no pussy but i dont powershift at all...

that dont mean you cant come off the line clean and hard and make good crisp clean speed shifts 8) I have faith in you ;)

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
94twinscrew said:

Wow,don't need to yell....lol

As i said,a second or two of a burnout will be all that's needed for those type of street tires....I know that they are a drag radial,but it's still considered a street tire,unlike a 28" MT. I also said that would be mid 13's,maybe high 12's if he could get out of the hole. So to answer you question about his time,...yes,that's all I think that he'll trap. I've been running KB's for over 12 years,and I use to drag my 88lx with my first kb. I'm not knocking his setup,just telling it like it is,and about the averages of other like him with simular setups.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
we will have to agree to disagree on the tires, I think a strong burnout is needed to heat them properly........and I think he will run faster than a high 13. He should be no slower than a 13.30 or so. With 300 rwhp and 380tq.........how the hell can he not be?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i didnt read the replies, but if you are running street tires drive around the box... dont do a burnout, just a light tire spin and peel out...and i saw brian say 13 PSI in the tires, all my buddies that practically live at the strip tell me to run 22 PSI on street tires.

And pray to god your track has some decent prep, or you will spin at least 1st and 2nd, and probably 3rd too. And most tracks wont let you run drag radials without a driveshaft safety loop....and i wouldnt run DRs without one, cause when you DS snaps, you can say bye bye to the bottom of your car, and its dangerous for people around you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online