So I was given this 1995 Continental...

rustang68

Reaction score
And I have a 96 GT with the stock 4.6. I'm told the Lincoln motor is basically the same motor that was in the cobras. The motor is low miles and sounds great. I need to get this old Lincoln out of my driveway so I'm pulling the engine to save it for my GT. Is there anything beside the engine I should save from the Lincoln for this swap?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Best to get the car running! Cause that engine is front wheel drive set up. Motor mounts, tranny bell housing bolt pattern, intake arrangement all FWD...the swap can be done and i can almost promise very very very few people have done it. Its not a direct bolt in swsp.

Now if the engine was coming out of a mark8

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well hell...I can see this forum's a waste of time

You’ve been here a total of 11 hours and made 3 post and already made your mind up that this forum is a waste of time???

Let’s step back for a minute.

1) you asked question about a fwd continental motor on a mustang forum. People are having fun with you, learn to go with the flow and you’ll find the help is here.

2) yes it’s a cobra block with cobra heads. The intake and motor mounts will not work. You’d still need some other parts to make it drop in but it is completely doable.

3) learn to take things with a grain of salt and learn to listen when advice is given. Everyone here has good knowledge about mustangs. Any question you could have about an actual mustang can be answered here and probably has at least 10 times already.

Now that we’ve covered those items let’s try this a different way. See if you can get pics of the car and motor as the old man asked. We can help you move forward but need more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
By the way, block should be the same aluminum block that came in the mark 8 but the heads should be different due to the fwd setup. Continental had tumbleport heads that actually made more power but you’d have to do some custom work to use. The mark8 motor came with b heads.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The continental is a bastard fwd block with all other components that are completely swappable yo a normal 4.6l. Nothing about it favors a mustang swap. None of the engine parts came in a cobra with exception of the rods.

Continental has 6bolt cast crank, lincoln 4v B heads and cams.

Tumble port heads in the continental didnt show up untill the 2000's.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The continental is a bastard fwd block with all other components that are completely swappable yo a normal 4.6l. Nothing about it favors a mustang swap. None of the engine parts came in a cobra with exception of the rods.

Continental has 6bolt cast crank, lincoln 4v B heads and cams.

Tumble port heads in the continental didnt show up untill the 2000's.

https://fordcobraengines.com/ford-modular-motor-differences/

Scroll down to engine block code. Same v code as the mark8. Scroll down a little more and it talks about the tumble ports

OP
OP
R

rustang68

Reaction score
Best to get the car running! Cause that engine is front wheel drive set up. Motor mounts, tranny bell housing bolt pattern, intake arrangement all FWD...the swap can be done and i can almost promise very very very few people have done it. Its not a direct bolt in swsp.

Now if the engine was coming out of a mark8

Except for this lol. This is good info. This car was given to me so I've nothing to lose by just taking the whole thing to the junkyard. The motor runs really well, infortunately. This is the first I've thought about messing with the 4.6 so this is all new to me. I had been misinformed previously that these blocks are the same in the fwd cars.

Would the heads be worth scavenging before I junk it? thoughts?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I still vote to find a local bridge that is out and jump it dukes of hazard style. Tell me you have not wanted to slide across the hood of a car, throw yourself in the window and let out a yehaw as you go over the creek? Now if your chance...

OP
OP
R

rustang68

Reaction score
I still vote to find a local bridge that is out and jump it dukes of hazard style. Tell me you have not wanted to slide across the hood of a car, throw yourself in the window and let out a yehaw as you go over the creek? Now if your chance...
Nah... too old for that crap. I did jump a bridge with a 78 ford pickup years ago lol..it was a hump back bridge...many cars met there fate on that bridge.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My reply was meant as do what you want but drive it, do a compression test and leak down, throw a can of your favorite cleaner inside and clean all the junk out, makes things leak and clunk before you commit to anything. I have been burned before because it "ran good".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online