So long 4.6L.......

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
One thing that is in our favor is that since the car is not that heavy, it doesn't take much power to get the chassis moving.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I drove an E-series rental van last month with the 4.6. Talk about overworked, spent most of my time somewhere above 4000 RPM. Hamster on a wheel comes to mind.

My work service van is a 2011 E-150. I rolled over a scale and weighed in at 8300lbs. It is a turd. But also the E-series is dead. I believe the last one rolls off the assembly line in June.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They're not that bad. I have an E350 cutaway with the Triton V10 and a 15 foot truck box. Considering how large and heavy it is, it gets up and moves.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I have a '97 E350 with a swapped in pi engine. Off the line feel from this van is limp, but once in motion its a beast! Such as driving at highway speeds if I want to get moving more I push the pedal in a little for effortless speed or going up a mountain hill on the interstate, its almost as if the van asks for more challenge because it chugs the hill like its not there. Weird really... because of how limp it feels on take off, im thinking this van will come to a crawl up this hill! But its not the case. This is working torque!

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that I can load my box truck with thousands of pounds of cargo and it moves along just the same as it does when it's empty. It truly is a weird phenomenon.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Hanging out with the church group on a canoe trip, I had the opportunity to drive everyone around in the church van. Its a newer Chevrolet 15passenger with a 350 and let me tell you the power sucked! It had a better take off than my van but when we had to climb hills a better gear range had to be used and power still felt spongee. Surprised me! I was thinking "you chevrolet turd, you had to gear down!!!" I realized then Ford torque pulling power! A 4.16" stroke with its 6.6" rod, I can understand why the 5.4l modular is so strong.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ha! No Love? i guess i like the 4.6... im on my second one... cant wait to get one that runs! :-D

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im sad to see the mod motors go. Now don't get me wrong, I know that they are dogs stock, and expensive to build, but I got into the scene when I bought my 03 GT, so I learned about my Mustang by tearing into the 4.6 and learning about it. A lot of you guys came from the 5.0 scene, so the mod motors are a lot different to work on. The 4.6s are a different animal, and not the best bang for the buck when it comes to making all motor power...trust me I know, Im building an N/A 2 valve lol, but I like being the under dog. Heck, Id even like to find a clean 96-98 GT and build up a nice N/A NPI set up for it...am I sick in the head? Probably :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.