So you want to install your own gears...(8.8)

4.6snake

Reaction score
Im about to install my 4.10's on wednesday that have been sitting here for a week or so. ill let you know how it goes when i get done. wayne94mustang, since you have done this many times, do you have any hints or tips you have learned to make it go as smooth as possible?

smokinya9

Reaction score
HUNTED said:
rear ends are easy to rebuild. and why would any one want a 273 gear unless they are top speeding a car
not even for top speed you can go faster with 3.73s or 4.10s than you can with 2.73s with those gears you run out of (ump) you can check a gear calculator and it will verify that. a 98 stock auto stang will top out around 145 mph put 4.10 and you will top out around 168

97gtconv.

Reaction score
i didn't think it was hard at all, i learned at school how to do it...i did mine out in the parking lot on jackstands. borrowedsome pry bars, a 1200ftlb impact gun, dial indicator, and a torque wrench, and that was it...

White95GT

Reaction score
Im getting ready to do 3.73 gears in mine here soon. I helped a friend do 3.55 gears in his a few weeks ago and it was pretty easy. Since Im at wyotech right now Im going to put mine in while Im in drivetrain class. By the way its not that hard as long as you have all the right tools.

JJ96Stang

Reaction score
Just installed 4:10's in mine about a month ago wasn't real hard. One thing to consider is new axle bearings and seals my car has 130,000 and the bearings were showing some pitting and 1 seal was weeping. Also spend the extra cash and rebuild the Trac-Lock with the heavy duty clutches and add the 35 thousandths shim in there it really helps it lock up super quick but will not chirp around the corners. I also added the aluminum driveshaft and noticed a hella difference in the way it spools up.

427danderson

Reaction score
Lightning Struck said:
94gtstang50 said:
Which gets back to the "who buys a mustang and worries about gas mileage" comment I saw on corral a few days ago.

unless your getting a 6 cyl, there is no point in getting one and trying to get a good return on your gas milage.

I'll second that...

MikeF

Reaction score
I have the quarterhorse from moates.its really cool but hard to learn. tunexchange.com is a great tuning site also.good luck.oh if you a 5-speed dont put 4-10 with power-adder.I did and im going back to 3.73.it trapps way to high

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online