Social Distancer build for boost

glittle75

Reaction score
Hey everyone! For the last 10 years, I have had a very nicely modified Mach that ran like a dream and took lots of hits on the street and track.

A simple run down of the car before now.
03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, non-IUP
Kenne Bell 2.1 @ 9psi
Stock Longblock
Stock Trans
PMP clutch
Steeda Tri Ax
60lb Injectors
Cobra tank, dual GT Supercar pumps
KB BAP
JLT CAI
SLP Longtubes
SLP X
Borla "Stingers"
FRPP Aluminum DS
4.10 Gears
GT Rear brake swap
17x4 / 15x10 Dark Star wheels
Hoosier bias ply fronts and bias ply QTP rears
UPR Tubular K & A arms
UPR Coil overs
UPR Control arms
IMG_0591.jpeg

I'm sure I am missing a few things. But the car made 490 RWHP on 93 with an awesome tune up from Fastlane Motorsports in Benson, NC.
Best time was 11.2 @ 127mph.

About a month ago, I was having a little too much fun with a 4 door Hellcat and ended up popping the motor.

Pulled it to find that it bent a rod, ripped the wrist pin out of the piston, and blew the side of the cylinder out.
piston.jpeg IMG_1901.jpeg

So now I am in process of building the motor. The plan as of now is to turn the little 2.1 all the way up, and see how much steam it can produce. Ride it like that for a while, put together eaton swap parts and jam a huge twin screw on it.

Pics to come!

OP
OP
glittle75

glittle75

Reaction score
So far I have accrued:
Stock 03 Cobra rods
Manley Flat Tops, Steel rings
Boundary Gears
-8 Fuel line from tank to rail
Todd Warren Cams, spec'd for the build
IMG_1926.jpeg IMG_2020.jpeg gears.jpeg IMG_1986.jpeg

I also got a block that is going .030" over, reusing my stock crank, and valve springs from Todd as well. The heads are getting .010" shaved off, and should be 11:1 compression. The car will be on E85.

Everything is currently at the machine shop getting balanced. I will be assembling this myself with my daughter as a project for us. She is 10 and loves helping in the garage with anything I do.

I will update as it goes, and try to take tons of pics as I go.

OP
OP
glittle75

glittle75

Reaction score
While the machine shop does their thing, I decided to paint a few parts. I found the closest thing to "vantablack" that is available to consumers. It is called Black 2.0, by Stuart Semple. It is the blackest black you can get. So far I painted the TB (BBK twin 65) the blower inlet and the valve covers.

IMG_1969.jpeg IMG_1983.jpeg IMG_1990.jpeg

It looks stupidly good in person. It is super black, matte and light consuming.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I thought about putting a supercharger on my 03 mach 1
But I ended up getting a supercharger for my cobra

OP
OP
glittle75

glittle75

Reaction score

??

I thought about putting a supercharger on my 03 mach 1
But I ended up getting a supercharger for my cobra

I got this blower a long time ago. It has been a lot of fun! I was between buying this car or a cobra, after driving both, the Mach won, hands down. I love the solid axle, the exterior appearance and the interior touches that make it unique. Cobras seem to be the “me too” car where I live. The Mach stands out more around here.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Ya they do stand out that was the one reason I left it like it is
Some people thought it was kit for the shaker and the hood
They had no idea it was a mach 1
You could not tell on mine because it was black stripe on black car
I changed it to white decals from ford

joe65

Reaction score
yeah, who doesn't like the new edge mach 1? Good thread you started. I like that black you're using a lot. Keep up with the project thread!

TTSaleen

Reaction score
Hate to see it blown up, but good to see what you plan to do with it!
My AB Mach 1 also had a problem. Got some sort of knock in it (terminator swapped).
So I plan to pull it out soon and based on what I find, will probably do something similar like you are with the increased compression.
Ryan

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
My AB Mach 1 also had a problem. Got some sort of knock in it (terminator swapped).
So I plan to pull it out soon and based on what I find, will probably do something similar like you are with the increased compression.
Ryan
Just curious how many miles have you got on your mach
Mine has 1190 I had a slight knock it comes and goes I have had no problems with my 03 but its strange mine dose that when I start up only goes away the next next day nothing

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Nice build, but IMO .030" is too much for boost on an aluminum block. If you're going iron then cool.

What are your plans for the fuel system?

Back when I bought my 01 Cobra I almost picked up a DSG Mach instead. But I wanted the IRS.

OP
OP
glittle75

glittle75

Reaction score
yeah, who doesn't like the new edge mach 1? Good thread you started. I like that black you're using a lot. Keep up with the project thread!
Thanks! more to come as things unfold here.

Very cool.
Thanks!

Ryan
After 10 minutes talking to Todd Warren, I was convinced that over 11:1, custom cams and boost was the way to go. I do enjoy this blower, but realize now that an eaton swap would have served me better in the long run. I could run any blower I wanted, instead of being limited to this little guy. But we will see how much steam it makes and then cross that bridge!

Nice build, but IMO .030" is too much for boost on an aluminum block. If you're going iron then cool.

What are your plans for the fuel system?

Back when I bought my 01 Cobra I almost picked up a DSG Mach instead. But I wanted the IRS.
Iron block, fuel system is cobra tank, dual supercar pumps, Boost a pump, FPDM with wires, -8 from tank to rail, 1200cc injectors.
Going to start there and see where that gets me, if more is needed, then so be it. But honestly it should be more than enough for the power level I am limited to with this blower.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
As a person that's done everything you've listed ditch the BAP and supercar pumps and go to a good return system. Your tuner and engine will thank you. By the time you build the returnless system you'll be close to the cost of a return system.

OP
OP
glittle75

glittle75

Reaction score
As a person that's done everything you've listed ditch the BAP and supercar pumps and go to a good return system. Your tuner and engine will thank you. By the time you build the returnless system you'll be close to the cost of a return system.

That may be the best thing to do. I will talk to the tuner. My line of thinking is, for the little power I’m looking at, it should be more than enough. But if I have to do a return, then I will. It’s not to much to pay for the security.

In other news, machine shop informed me that Total Seal shorted me one second ring. Should be here in a day or two and then it will be assembly time.

I did put in a big summit order today for
bottom end assembly lube
-8 AN wrench
-8 earls hose (bought the wrong thing initially)
E85 tester tube
4v cam holder tool set

Still need a clutch, fluids, and that should be good.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Well, you're going over kill on the injectors so you might as well step up the rest of the fuel system while you're at it. I played catch up with the fuel system in my 01 Cobra and the number 1 piston took the brunt of it. I now have a system capable of 800rwhp on E85 should I ever decide to go for it. But for now I'm aiming for mid 600's.

Also, ditch the cam holding tools and get a degree set instead. I've installed a few 4V cams and never used the tools. They're not needed IMO. You'd be better off degreeing your cams instead.

OP
OP
glittle75

glittle75

Reaction score
Some progress from the last couple days. Picked up everything from the machine shop. Block is .030", everything was balanced, cleaned, etc.

Started to assemble what I could. I got incorrect rod bearings sent, so I am waiting for those to come in today.

Block cleaned, crank installed, rings filed and ready for assembly.
IMG_2012.jpg

Top is .025" second ring is .027"

I put quick seat on the cylinders. The green tinted ones have quick seat on them, the shiny ones don't. Took pics for comparison.
IMG_2013.jpg IMG_2014.jpg

Oil pump gears from boundary installed, oil pump housing cleaned. They look so nice, its a shame they get hidden inside the pump lol
IMG_2015.jpg

Heads cleaned, new seals, valves and springs going in. (Yes I did it in the living room lol)
Head.jpg

Had a question about the lubricants I am using.
Driven by Joe Gibbs lubricants are considered the gold standard when it comes to assembly and break in.
They make AL8 for Total Seal. This is a thinner lube and is meant for the piston skirts, pins, and rings.

HVL (High Viscosity Lube) is their thicker lube, this is meant for bearings, oil pump gears, etc. I will be using it in the bottom end of the engine.

Engine assembly grease is very thick and is meant for the top end of the engine. I will be using it on the cams and all the valvetrain components.

I will be using BR30 oil to break in the engine. Also made by Driven.

The only other lubricant I will be using is ARP's fastener lube.

Once the Fedex guy shows up today I will be fully assembling the engine, hanging the trans on it, and installing it in the car. Ill take lots of pics and update when I can!

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Was there a question somewhere in the post about the oil? I missed it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online