Solid to IRS mod

Modular95

Reaction score
I have a friend who has an 03 cobra who wants my stock rear axle. I think we will both make out because my car doesn't have enough hp to break it. Anyway is this a simple "bolt in'? Or do I need to buy other parts such as driveshaft flanges etc. I plan on swapping both cars at the same time in my driveway. Just trying to do my homework before I tear both of them apart. :thumbsup:

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
I know something about this swap...lol
96MC2.jpg

It's not quite a bolt in type of deal on 94-98 cars. The hard brake lines will have to be redone to mimic the 99-04 brake lines. Our cars have a Y-block on the pass side that runs to the driver side and the 99-04 cars have individual lines. I used 99-04 IRS brake hoses and cut my hard line just at the spot where it goes up the floor by the driveshaft tunnel. I used a "T" fitting and ran the lines to each using the existing hard lines and just bent them to clear the IRS cradle and upper A-arms. Also, the rear IRS cradle mounts have 4 mounting bolts that secure it to the frame but 94-98 cars only have 2 bolt guides (quad shock mount to frame). You will need to drill the 2 lower holes on both the drive and pass sides of the framerails. I drilled all the way to the trunk floor and cut two 1/4" thick steel plates to reinforce the floor when I ran the bolts through and tightened them down. You will need to remove the gas tank to drill the holes on the pass side.
Also, the pinion flange will need to be swapped from your solid axle to the IRS and vice versa. The u-joints are different sizes from your car to the 03 cobra so this is the easiest way to get your drive shaft to bolt up. Now, the emergency brake cables might seem too short on your car but they will work. I took out as much slack all the way from the beginning of the cable to the rear. They work just fine on my car but they were a small pain I'll tell you that. The ABS sensor cable will also need to be swapped from the 03 over to your car. They plug right up and can be disconnected right under the rear seat.

I typed this up very quickly so if you have any questions let me know, I might have missed something.

-Esteban

OP
OP
M

Modular95

Reaction score
Esteban, thank you so much for the informative post! Your car look incredible and is great motivation. Thanks again bro! :eek:ccasion14:

Did you luck out and find the euro amber tails on ebay?

Mustanger

Reaction score
Aren't our rear axles about 3/4" shorter than the New Edge? If so how will that affect the Cobra when swapping? (I may be wrong on this)

OP
OP
M

Modular95

Reaction score
I have head that as well. Thank goodness he has some 17x10's. Or else it would look stupid. :thumbsup:

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
Modular95 said:
Esteban, thank you so much for the informative post! Your car look incredible and is great motivation. Thanks again bro! :eek:ccasion14:

Did you luck out and find the euro amber tails on ebay?
I actually got the amber tails from a member on svtperformance.com, I think he's also a member here but I can't remember his user name.

Mustanger said:
Aren't our rear axles about 3/4" shorter than the New Edge? If so how will that affect the Cobra when swapping? (I may be wrong on this)
The new edge rear ends are wider but it shouldn't pose a problem. I'm running 17x11 wheels with 315s and have not rubbed the tires yet. I installed low profile bolts on rear IRS mounting bolt just in case but I have enough room to still run the stock bolts and not tear up the tire.

dutch

Reaction score
I'm doing this swap next month too, have pretty much all the parts I think.

- IRS (with bushings and ABS)
- IRS shocks
- IRS springs
- IRS brakelines
- IRS catback
- Low profile bolts
- FRPP driveshaft with hybrid u-joint and 03 flange

Esteban,
Could you tell or PM me exactly what you did and used with the brakelines? I'm in Europe and I'm trying to have every single part I need for the swap ready when I start. I thought I had it covered with the IRS brakelines, but I still need a T-fitting? If so, which one?

Thanks!

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
And the extra 3/4" per axle is compared to the 99-04 Solid rear axle cars... I don't know what the width difference is with the 03-04 cobras
halfshafts.... :dontknow:

Mystic SVT

Reaction score
dutch said:
I'm doing this swap next month too, have pretty much all the parts I think.

- IRS (with bushings and ABS)
- IRS shocks
- IRS springs
- IRS brakelines
- IRS catback
- Low profile bolts
- FRPP driveshaft with hybrid u-joint and 03 flange

Esteban,
Could you tell or PM me exactly what you did and used with the brakelines? I'm in Europe and I'm trying to have every single part I need for the swap ready when I start. I thought I had it covered with the IRS brakelines, but I still need a T-fitting? If so, which one?

Thanks!

I don't remember the size of the "T" fitting but its whatever size the brake line is. Make sure when you get the "T" that you get the male fittings to screw into it. Also, get a brake/fuel line cutter and flaring tool to flare out the ends of the brake lines.

dutch

Reaction score
I was under the impression that I could just hook the IRS lines up to the existing rear brakes.. I'm gonna ask around on SVTP because this has me worried. I want to have everything ready when I begin the swap because I can't miss the car for very long and I'll be 2 weeks delayed when I have to order parts again through the swap.

OP
OP
M

Modular95

Reaction score
Dutch, I would like to know about the t-fitting as well. I was hoping to rob it off of the cobra.

gnx547

Reaction score
sorry for the offtopic, Mystic SVT, what brand and size rear tires are you using?

cantbuytime

Reaction score
The IRS is 1 inch wider on each side. The new edge sra is 3/4 wider on each side. That is compared to my 1995 8.8 rear.

Great info on the brake lines there guys..

But please replace the front IRS 12mm bolts with the 9/16 bolts from Full Tilt Boogie. They are $10. It will help with the slop in the setup. U could also buy the grade8 nuts and bolts from a hardware store(might be a lil cheaper) For the rear mounts where u cant replace the bolt. U can run a piece of small pipe inside the bushing for a shim. This will remove alot of play as well.

The reason most IRS rear ends break isnt from the power put through them but from the slop of the soft rubber bushings and the 12mm bolts used in the IRS mounting brackets..

do as suggested and swap the pinion flange from your SRA to the IRS... U also have to swap the exhaust after the mufflers.

The best upgrade for the IRS is the full bushing kit from FTB.. Dont use poly bushings. they will not last..

Matt Brand

Reaction score
I actually got the amber tails from a member on svtperformance.com, I think he's also a member here but I can't remember his user name.

The new edge rear ends are wider but it shouldn't pose a problem. I'm running 17x11 wheels with 315s and have not rubbed the tires yet. I installed low profile bolts on rear IRS mounting bolt just in case but I have enough room to still run the stock bolts and not tear up the tire.
Old thread revived

Mystic,

What is the offset and backspace on your wheels? I’m running a new edge rear in my sn95 and trying to find what offset and backspace would fit without sticking too far out.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Old thread revived

Mystic,

What is the offset and backspace on your wheels? I’m running a new edge rear in my sn95 and trying to find what offset and backspace would fit without sticking too far out.
he has not been on since 2015

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Staff online

Members online