Some shops are just ridiculous

jpajkos

Reaction score
So I bought a set of 4.10s from mustang tuning today. Bought the master rebuild kit as well that was recommended. Called JT's performance todayand just for installation he quoted 500 bucks!!! that is simply just over kill. I called Throttle Stop and they quoted 400 bucks. So I then called jaws gear and axle they quoted 320. I've heard this isn't super hard to do. I mean granted i know things are done but people come on does this seem fair. I just wanted to get some imput before I go and have a shop do them. Im going to shop around some more. Any suggestions in or around the sacramento area?

ALITL8

Reaction score
i paid $200 for my gears and a fresh set of bearings to be installed. IDK if the master rebuild kit is a more involved rebuild but how much more could it be :dunno:

OP
OP
J

jpajkos

Reaction score
Its just the bearings and everything that was recommended to replace with the new gear set is all. Same thing you had.

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Everthing Ive ever read about gear installation prices sound like what you've found. The lo average is $250.00 to $300.00 the hi side is $500.00. Guess you have to shop around. This is why i don't have it done. The cost of gears isn't bad but I'd have to wait 6 months to get them installed.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ill never understand why its so expensive to get them installed everywhere but here in NC, going price is from 100-200

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I paied like $500 that was with me including the gears only, they called me and suggest a rebuild kit which they bought from FORD so that was $500 total with that and thats Canadian $ and the most expencive gear shop in town (best place in town for it). So ya I wouldnt pay more then $350 for it?! But there are places around here that will install them for like $250CAD.

Peter

Reaction score
yah you shouldnt pay more then 250-300usd for install even thats pretty damn high

Downshift

Reaction score
jpajkos said:
So I bought a set of 4.10s from mustang tuning today. Bought the master rebuild kit as well that was recommended. Called JT's performance todayand just for installation he quoted 500 bucks!!! that is simply just over kill. I called Throttle Stop and they quoted 400 bucks. So I then called jaws gear and axle they quoted 320. I've heard this isn't super hard to do. I mean granted i know things are done but people come on does this seem fair. I just wanted to get some imput before I go and have a shop do them. Im going to shop around some more. Any suggestions in or around the sacramento area?
Hey man dont mean to change the subject but where in the sacramento area are you? 916_5.0, fast5oh and me live in rocklin/loomis.

GreenPony95

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
I paied like $500 that was with me including the gears only, they called me and suggest a rebuild kit which they bought from FORD so that was $500 total with that and thats Canadian $ and the most expencive gear shop in town (best place in town for it). So ya I wouldnt pay more then $350 for it?! But there are places around here that will install them for like $250CAD.

what shop did you use matt?>

Cobra456hp

Reaction score
I got a Ford tech to do mine on the side. he was a friend of my GM tech friend. 150 the first time and after he tore the rear apart couldnt get my new bearings to press onto my pinion. so it he had to do it twice and didnt charge me for the second time. that was 7 years ago and NO problems since then -knock on wood- I would hit someone up on the side to do it. a reputable someone....

jimgt95

Reaction score
I've had two different Mustangs with gear swaps. The first, an 86 GT, I had done at the local Ford dealer on the side for $100. The second, my 95 GT, I had done by a local Mustang tuning shop for $150. Both in the Peoria, IL area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.