some suggestions needed :]

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by jEEd, Jun 12, 2007.

1. jEEd

jEEd Member

okay so i live in california, and im usually on a different forum "MF" but umm... i have a white 1996 Mustang GT Vert.

mods so far-
    eibach pro-kit
    JLT RAI w/ CAI adapter
    Flowmasters catback w/ 3.5" Chrome tips

and i got quoted for a full PI Swap kit for $500 (fully assembled Windsor heads + aluminum x-over intake from an 01 or 02 with 20k miles) and of course its all cleaned and reconditioned / all checked out and what not by the shop. im not sure if i should get it or not yet and i would of course install it myself w/ my dad (hes a mechanic) and i also got quoted another $500 for a diablosports chip tuned (not the handheld) or like a $100+ more if i wanted the handheld instead.

but my real question is... would getting LT's w/ catted h-pipe (such as a BBK setup or something) be emission legal in california? because my friend drives a 99 camaro ss w/ an LS1 swap and has full boltons including LTs w/ catted midpipe and he just passed smog recently like 4 days ago?

i have the money for the full pi swap + tune and LT's w/ a new catted mid pipe but i have those questions...

thanks for all your help since this would be more of specific question relating our sn-95's :]

2. ripper

ripper Well-Known Member

If you keep your cats i dont see why you wouldnt pass emissions. I would also spend the extra money for a handheld but i would go with the xcal2. The thing im not sure about is putting windsor heads on a romeo block. Im sure Bob will chime in and give some input. Dads a mechanic huh? Lucky you. LOL.

3. jEEd

jEEd Member

yeah i love it :] i install everything on my car :] except the gears...

but what are your inputs? and suggestions?

4. Dusstbuster

Dusstbuster New Member

I've heard different stories regarding emissions and LT's, regardless of having cats or not. Some people sneak by, others fail, others pass fine it seems.

I don't know exactly how they do emissions tests in CA being as I've never had to do an emissions test in my life (Lucky Minnesotans EH!? :p) I've always wondered though...if you did do LT's and had a catted midpipe w/ a tuner that could hold multiple tunes, I wonder if you could pass by just getting a VERY lean tune + your regular tune, and only use the lean tune during emissions testing. You'd think less fuel being burnt would = lower emissions being put out which would hopefully = easier to pass test. Otherwise I'm not much help as far as whether or not you'd pass the test w/ LT's, I've always been under the assumption that LT's make emissions tests, especially the California Commonwealth CARB test, very hard to pass.

Also I remember hearing that modifying any exhaust parts besides catback = automatic fail on emissions tests, or is that just visual? Like I said, I know jack squat about testing...

5. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

LT's are illegal in every state but if they don't check for them then no biggie...i'm not sure you will pass a emissions test with them even with cats but you never know.

What are you getting for $500? Just the heads/cams/intake...did they do anything to the heads like a valve job ot change the valve seals?
    $500 is an ok price but i have seen them cheaper...you will also need windsor valve covers since they are a different bolt pattern then what you have now as well as windsor specific timing cover bolts that go into the windsor heads.

I also prefer SCT over Diablo.

6. jEEd

jEEd Member

umm i dont think they did anything to the heads besides cleaning them and checking it. but its the full assembled heads w/ intake manifold + the necessary windsor parts for $500. and the rest of the parts i could get really cheap since my dad is a mechanic and gets deep discounts on misc. car parts.

yeah im way confused on the whole LT's + Mid-pipe deal since i really want to get new headers but dont wanna get Shorties and not gain much :[ and theres different ways of testing where its visual and sniffer. but iono... i'll ask my friend who just passed the test recently for more info.

7. jEEd

jEEd Member

bump :] :dancing6: