Sony Xplod Subs

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have seen a couple of them in a few rides, they are the average performer I'd say. Nothing fancy you get what you pay for, average price average sound. They would be fine for a nice clean set-up for personal use.

joshs95

Reaction score
i know someone with them dont have a clean sound to them but thats my opion but you get what you pay for .

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
I hate them :( their name says it all.
Samehere...There are so many better subs out there. Right now i have a Punch Phase 3 12 that pounds pretty good. Id go with Punch, Alpine, JL Audio or Mtx.

Tattoogod

Reaction score
personally i use 1 of 3 ..jl audio..can go wrong with jl..

2. kicker..go old school sub that kicks ass for the money..but i found if you pound them with alot of power they srat to loose sound after a year or so.

3rd. audio bahn. these are great cheap subs that can take a beating for years. here is what my last sub layout looked like..i had 3 12" audio bahns being slammed with a 2000 watt amped running into 1 ohm..these things where freakin nasty.

3subs.jpg

Peter

Reaction score
I had 2 10's before and now I have 1 12" no complaints just need to run them on a well match amp.

QIKGTS

Reaction score
Believe me when I say it's all about the enclosure and a subsonic filter. Bottom line is the box is the factor that will determine, the most, how a sub sounds and how long it will live. Sure, excursion, power handling, sensitivity and of course the amplification and equalization being used all play a part, but the enclosure is the one factor that can allow a great, expensive, bullitproof sub to sound like crap and blow up, and an average one sound great and handle good power for a long time.

As for the Sony's, Xplod subs really work well in properly designed ported enclosures when coupled with a subsonic filter. They handle a fair amount of power, have decent excursion and are put together pretty well (bumped and vented backplates, quailty materials for the spider and voicecoil, etc.). I put P5 subs on par with the entry level JL stuff but for a tad bit cheaper.

Don't go cheap on box building. Get a real enclosure designed by a real installer with good enclosure modeling software. Personally I like the sound of ported enclosures and almost always recommend them. That's where a subsonic filter is so important. If a shop says they don't use a box building software program or they don't know what a subsonic filter is, RUN. Tell him what kind of music you listen to and get a real custom built enclosure for whatever woofer you buy...

Tattoogod

Reaction score
i have to agree with the enclosure.choosing a box for ta sub, it the same thing as tuning in a car. some subs are made for porting.some are not. if the magnet has a hole at the end of the post its a free-air sub, if no hole then it must be in an air tight enclosure.I can't even begin to tell you how many guys came to my shop and complained about there subs are junk and sound like crap. and look they have 1/4 PLY wood with basketball size ports in them lol..Most ports . the cut out size is going to be 3" in diameter. and the pvc pipe will range anywhere from 2.5" to 4" long depending on what type music you listen to..a 3" long port is a good all around size for any music. persoanlly i always get sealed encluses. they hit harder.also important when using a sealed enclosure the sub compartments should be seperate. and always use 3/4" partical board or better. bout all i think of right now..i have a freakin head ache here at work :(

tomustang

Reaction score
I've had sony xplod amps before, they are the fastest to overhead than any other out there, their speakers are good though

I buy all sony products, digcams, Trinitrons, Vaios, home stereo, headphones but not Headunits and Amps for cars

Spyder

Reaction score
sony home electronics are good, not the best, but not bad at all

as far as car audio, they are great for entry level, or someone who just wants to play a cd.
For those who want real quality with great sound, Alpine and JL audio hands down.

B0mb3r645

Reaction score
I do have a 12" Xplode 1100W peak that I bought for like 40-50, cheapest nice bass I could get. When I get more money I'll start looking at other subs like Audiobahn and MTX.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Never rate a sub by peak, if you have a good sub the peak is usally about double the R.M.S. allways go by RMS. For example good qualty sub is 500rms/1000w peak, other cheaper or lower quality subs are generally along the lines of 200w rms/1000w peak.

04DarkShadowGT

Reaction score
Anything Sony make is overpriced or the cheap stuff is junk.

You can get better stuff for the same $$ or even less.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
sony xplod subs are cheap..they are probably the worst quality sub out ther..wouldnt bother wasting my money on them...you can get alpine type r for fairly cheap or pretty much anything else..ive got 2 12 inch infinitys and thats plenty..300rms they are rated...never go by max ratings only rms...

916_5.0

Reaction score
They are ok nothing that special there is worse stuff out there but if i would just save a little more money and get a nice rockford or somethin.

94twinscrew

Reaction score
Like stated above,enclosure sizing is the key for optimum performance.......and sony is really just entry sub-par sound quality. I'm a Alpine guy hands down,you can't beat the price and sound. I spent a long time comparing speakers,and felt that for the most part,alpines were the way to go,except for my rear deck,those i went with Infinity's because I wanted clearer mids. I run a Alpine 9855 HU(best HU ever IMO),Type R's components for the front,Infinity coax in the rear,along with a Alpine amp,and Type R 12'' sub.....which sounded wayyyyy better than the type s for some reason. All in all,the system is just insane,and crystal clear at all levels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online