Sound Dampening

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
I am about to start putting the interior back in my cars. I am replacing the carpet in both. I have junked the mass backing garbage and plan to junk the vapor barrier. I had planned to use Hush Mat in both cars. Is this a viable replacement? Or is there something better for noise reduction, moisture barrier, and help for sound in regards to a custom stereo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with that stuff, but I don't see why it wouldn't work as a replacement. Certainly for the mass backing. The mass backing basically makes your carpet feel a little nicer and reduce noise and vibration, and possibly block some heat. The Hush mat should do the same, only better (not sure about making it feel nicer though?).

As far as the vapor barriers - those are good to have. If you are removing them, make sure the Hushmat doesn't get damaged or anything when in contact with water. The vapor barriers in your doors, as a for example, are meant to keep any water inside your door (from windows, etc.) coming into contact with the backside of your door panels - which most likely don't react well to being wet. Again, as long as the Hushmat can work as a vapor barrier - keep water and moisture from seeping through - then I don't see it being a problem. Just make sure you seal stuff like the OEM had.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok first things first sound damping is the correct term, often confused with dampENing in spelling and conversation but the extra two letters would mean you will need your garden hose.

after years in the biz and having my hands on almost every brand all I put in my car is second skin. You need to have a piece of it and the competitor in your hands at the same time to see both the foil and the black are thicker and see it in cars years later to appreciate it. Now with that being said I am an audio snob and put nothing but the best in my car and there are a number of other brands that make good stuff as well. Hush mat is one of those brands that I would say is perfectly fine and not say to avoid. I have used sound damping like vapor barriers but if you really want to do it right make a panel to go over the open area out of aluminum or abs and then cover that with the mat.

OP
OP
Deceptive GT

Deceptive GT

Reaction score
Neither car I plan on driving in the rain.

How do older cars deal with the issue as I have never seen vapor barriers on classics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt