Spark plug gaps...What do you have??

Discussion in 'Forced Induction & Tuning' started by 9psi 98, Jun 30, 2007.

1. 9psi 98

9psi 98 Active Member

I'm currently running .034 because it's what FRPP suggests with my supercharger, but I'm still getting some pinging around 5500rpm. I talked to a guy today that recently got his car tuned and the tuner told him that the first thing he needed before they did anything was to decrease his spark plug gap to .022 to give it less of a spark. This does make sense to me, but what does everyone else have. He has 10# of boost and I have 9#, so we have similar setups. :help2:

2. Passenger

Passenger Well-Known Member

The bigger the gap is, the further the spark has to travel. 9psi traveling by with a far gap can blow the spark out.

3. 9psi 98

9psi 98 Active Member

.034 is what the FRPP manual suggests, but what you wrote makes a lot of sense when I'm having problems at WOT.

4. Passenger

Try reducing it down like .002 at a time and see what you get.

5. 9psi 98

9psi 98 Active Member

I took it down to .022 like someone suggested to me and it drives like a new car without any top end problems at all now. One question though, am I losing power with the smaller gap and should I increase it until I'm on the edge of having problems again?

6. scarface

scarface Guest

.o25 on my old 97gt @14psi, no blowout. I made the most power at that gap also.

7. 9psi 98

9psi 98 Active Member

I'm going to open them up another .002 tomorrow and see what that does, that will bring me to .024 total. Everything seems to be working perfectly together now, even my JMS chip runs on all 3 programs without pinging at all. :dancing6:

8. Passenger

Good deal, glad its fixed.

9. scarface

scarface Guest

excellent man O0