Spark plug issues

Defiant

Reaction score
I've only just now got caught up with all the facts about these engines and I didn't know about the blow out problem until tonight. Just wondering if it's an actual thing or just an overblown issue such as DSMs and crankwalk...

I've read to torque them accurately while the engine is only a little warm and to also only use motorcraft plugs and it wont be an issue. But it still sounds kind of annoying, like such a bizarre thing to happen. Of all the cars I've had they never had anything like this lol. I'm used to tightening plugs in until snug and they stay there perfectly fine forever. None risked permanent cyl head damage from a fricken spark plug.

I'll bet though... it's neglectful owners that cause most of these blow outs. I may be wrong though feel free to correct me

07GtS197

Reaction score
The problem is that 2v heads, before '04, only had 4 threads. And being aluminum its very easy to strip the threads. That coupled with not retorquing and/or over torquing them is what leads to a blowout. Its a much bigger issue on the trucks because its hard to get to cylinders 4 and 8. As long as you use a torque wrench and remember to retorque them after a number of heat cycles youll be just fine.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Agreed that the threads were woefully inadequate, but I've done tons of spark plugs in 4.6s over the years and never seen a problem. That is except my father's 01gt, which the Ford dealer changed while diagnosing bad coils. Keep in mind the same dealer told us autolite plugs are 'total garbage' and we needed motorcraft ones. Nevermind that autolite is the OEM source for them, and even bragged about designing the 3v plug for Ford...Use a short ratchet, with your fingers loosely pulling on the handle until it's snug. It's worked for me for probably 200000+ miles on various cars added up over the years, no problems. I like copper plugs, either motorcraft or autolite 764's. Anyone else?

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
I read that the 04 had more threads too but people still had the problem with them. I don't mind using a torque wrench and changing them while the engine is a little warm. Probably the first thing I'm going to do, I just don't trust previous owners and mechanic shops for delicate things.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anti seize is your friend. People have great success with brass inserts or time serts into the heads. But you need to pull them to go about that the right way.

OP
OP
Defiant

Defiant

Reaction score
Okay will do, I already have nickel anti seize for high temp applications. Been using it on turbochargers and manifolds with no issues in the past.

So OEM is Motorcraft Part# SP-493, I should have no problems with those right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online