Spark plug question for Termi engines

AzzLyp

Reaction score
So I just got an 03 Termi and it ran fine on the 80 mile drive home from it's old owner. Being me, I had to change out the plugs and I'm glad I did because it had the stock plugs in the passenger side bank and different plugs on the driver's side. Here's my problem though - since I changed out the plugs, I now have a pending code that comes and goes for cylinder #6 misfire (p0306). I already swapped coils to a different cylinder to rule it out and the problem did not follow the coil. I've tried a few different gaps already - started with .041, then .035 and now .032. I still have the pending code. I can't help but think it's the new plugs. They're NGK TR6's, btw. I need to figure this out because I need to pass smog and get my tags already. I'm about to go buy the TR6ix's because I read that a lot of people have issues with TR6's. I'm guessing that it has something to do with each engine being hand built. I had no codes beforehand, even though the old plugs were gapped pretty big and were pretty old. I'm using Dash Command to follow the codes and see what's going on.
Anyone have any ideas?

fran5o

Reaction score
Is it stock? I always ran motorcraft coper plugs in mine.

TTSaleen

Reaction score
The TR6 plugs are what I've run in everything from my 1200hp Saleen to my current 460hp Cobra.
Gaps should be fine between .30 and .36 without issue.

I would check that one cylinder and if suspect, change that plug out with a new one.
Good job checking the coil.....problem didn't follow it so you probably just have a bad plug (possible crack or just defect).

Good luck!
Ryan

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Is it stock? I always ran motorcraft coper plugs in mine.
Yessir, my car is pretty much stock, just intake and exhaust.

The TR6 plugs are what I've run in everything from my 1200hp Saleen to my current 460hp Cobra.
Gaps should be fine between .30 and .36 without issue.

I would check that one cylinder and if suspect, change that plug out with a new one.
Good job checking the coil.....problem didn't follow it so you probably just have a bad plug (possible crack or just defect).

Good luck!
Ryan
The code disappeared for a couple days and then came back - never a hard code, just a pending code. Didn't show up during smog either. I have new coils coming in because they are the originals and they have quite a few miles on them. I've read quite literally dozens of threads where that ended up being the problem with intermittent misfires. American Muscle has a great price for a set so I picked them up. I'll post up what happens when I receive them in a couple days.

fran5o

Reaction score
I would just stay with factory plugs then, why pay 10$ per plug?

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
I would just stay with factory plugs then, why pay 10$ per plug?
I went with the TR6's at first, they're pretty cheap. I just couldn't get rid of the code with them. I have TR55ix's in there now and it seems to be ok, though the code does pop up still from time to time. Hoping the new coils get rid of it completely.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online