Speedo calibration on an auto 1998

kaveman

Reaction score
Before I start I just want to appolgize if this is an already beat to death topic....sorry guys.

When I bought my car it was bone stock except for a 3.73 rear end. The previous owner never calibrated the speedometer.

When I bought my SCT/Bama tuner and CAI from AM I let them know that I had 3.73 gears and was hoping that they could calibate the speedo through a new tune. They said that that wasn't possible for my year and that I needed to get a gear set to calibrate it.

I've seen many calibration tools for the 98 yet I've also heard that I have to get a gear kit to calibate the speedo......which is correct?

Its not really a pressing issue (which is why it's taken just almost 4yrs for me to ask around), however it is becoming a bit annoying and I would like to finally have an un-f*cked up speedometer lol

Thanks for any help!

-Calvin

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you can get a new speedo gear, they are cheap and work sorta ok but a Speed Cal is the best way to do it. go to dallasmustangs.com and look for it.

OP
OP
kaveman

kaveman

Reaction score
Ok so I'm thinking I'm just going to grab a speedcal.....which is what I was going to do before I started hearing that I needed a speedo gear set lol

Thanks guys!

Motojoe

Reaction score
Did a lot of research on this and I spent the extra $ on the ford racing speed cal. Seems easier to install and adjust.

BigBore96

Reaction score
The ford racing speed cal is garbage. Spend the extra money and get the Dallas. I'm using a ford racing in my GT and it loses signal for a split second while driving. Very annoying for cruise control.

The dallas one on my cobra has no issues. I've even swapped the two between the two cars to test wiring issue.

OP
OP
kaveman

kaveman

Reaction score
The ford racing speed cal is garbage. Spend the extra money and get the Dallas. I'm using a ford racing in my GT and it loses signal for a split second while driving. Very annoying for cruise control.

The dallas one on my cobra has no issues. I've even swapped the two between the two cars to test wiring issue.
Yes sirrr. That's what I'm going with.....as soon I get around to buying it. I'm trying to sort out a problem with my B&M hammer shifter right now. The damn thing won't shift into park :mad:

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
1998 was the last year for VSS. Dallas Speedcal user here like everyone else. Wire it in, set switches, done. The 98 auto has a separate OSS sensor for the shift points so messing with the speedo will not hurt anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online