Speedo Gear

spdracer

Reaction score
i just had gears installed and i have the part i need to make the speedo work. but what do i do with it? all i know is its somewhere on the tranny that in threads into or something? :help2:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what gear ratio did you get? speedo gears aren't very reliable on anything over 3.55 and they get chewed up quickly. Mine was only accurate for a few months with my 3.73's and was way off over 80mph. I went with a dallas mustang speedcal so i could get a accurate setting since it calculates for tire size also.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
i don't think Ford makes a speedo gear for 4.10...how many tooth is it?

oh god this was about 5 years ago when I got mine............I think it was a 23 :-\

OP
OP
S

spdracer

Reaction score
my friend who works at ford said they dont make one with the right amount of teeth, but they do make one like 2 teeth off or sumthin like that

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yeah the 23t is for 3.73 if i remember correct. That what i have....there was no gear for 4.10's and no speedcal back then either. Just one of the reasons i chose not to get 4.10's.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
there is no gear for 410's, not enough room for the teeth or something.
Sounds like Mr. Ford guessed for ya. They're great at throwing parts at problems....
I went through the same drama back when I did my 373's.
they tried 3 different gears, I called steeda found out the info, and did the speedcal myself....

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
the one I had in my 98 was close, it may have been 4 or 5 mph off at the MOST, Im pretty sure it was a 23 tooth but I would not bet my life on it ;D

LI98GT

Reaction score
with my recent install of 3:90s, the shop put in a new gear, to get it close - I believe it was 23 tooth gear, but now don' t know how to set the settings for the speedcal since the stock gear isn't in there anymore. Do you guys think I now need to install a stock gear, then can use the settings in the documentation to get things right again or closer anyway? Ugh, I told the shop that I had the speedcal ready to be installed, but they went ahead and changed the speedo gear anyway.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
LI98GT said:
with my recent install of 3:90s, the shop put in a new gear, to get it close - I believe it was 23 tooth gear, but now don' t know how to set the settings for the speedcal since the stock gear isn't in there anymore. Do you guys think I now need to install a stock gear, then can use the settings in the documentation to get things right again or closer anyway? Ugh, I told the shop that I had the speedcal ready to be installed, but they went ahead and changed the speedo gear anyway.
you can set the speedcal to calibrate from the gear you have....you install the speedcal then drive on a highway for 10 miles...having someone in a stock car clocking you then copy the miles your car did. For example you might have clocked 12 miles instead of 10...then you go onto the speedcal forum and tell them what your milage was on the 10 mile test and they will give you an exact setting to install.

Goindeafonmtx

Reaction score
A 23 tooth speedo gear is for 3.55s. Thats it. If you got the 4.10s and the 23 tooth speedo gear, your speedo and odometer will be 20% off at all speeds. Just do the Speedcal.

gt96stang

Reaction score
I've got to agree with the masses, getting the speedcal and it will be accurate..

Outlaw97GT

Reaction score
I used the speed-cal, they don't make a gear to fix for 4.10's as noted...

Speed-cal is easy to install, took me about 30 mins. :thumb:
And it works perfect.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
spdracer said:
whats this speedcal???
this leads me to believe you didn't read our replies or you would have seen we mentioned it by name specifically so you could look it up.

:'(

OP
OP
S

spdracer

Reaction score
after all this i ended up getting the speecal installing it and it was faulty, and where i bought it from wont take it back because it had been oebvr the 30days since it was pursched even tho it was a known problem with the speed cal's. it starst to only read my speed after 60km/h and my car would stall when putting in the clutch comming to a stop. needless to say im not gonna waste another 100$ on one of these pieces of shit. grrr. i'll jst do with my 23 toooth speedo gear i guess...

gt96stang

Reaction score
Another vote for the DM speedcal here... O0 I was planning on getting those cheap speedo gears, then I did enough research to realize that they weren't that great and I shouldn't cheap out on it, they are only $100, and ended up getting the DM, which is great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online