Speedo going wacky

J_lope82

Reaction score
I noticed my Speedo is starting to act wacky. On take off it stalls at around 10 then all of a sudden jumps to around 25mph. Any one experienced anything like this? Is my Speedo gear starting to go out? TIA

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have always been more of a board shorts dude myself, not that I don't look KILLER in speedos IMO... But anyway, what year? Have you done any work on the trans or gauges recently?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Possibly the worm gear behind the speedometer

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I have always been more of a board shorts dude myself, not that I don't look KILLER in speedos IMO... But anyway, what year? Have you done any work on the trans or gauges recently?
Lol I had to read it twice. Good one!

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I haven’t done any work myself. I am the third owner of the car. It’s a 96 gt manual transmission with ~115k miles. Everything on the cluster looks oem. It drives like it has 3.7three gears but I can’t tell of any other mods.

muzzy25

Reaction score
mine does that on hot days
i tap the lens and it will jump up when sticks
some times when i stop it stays at 10 km to i tap lens drops to 0
i think its the speedo motor or what they call it cool days good as gold

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
can the gear in the speedo be easily replaced? Is the gear something I can find at the typical auto parts store? Any mods recommended to do while I have the cluster taken apart?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Got mine from LMR. Fit perfectly. Was a tad tedious pulling the dash and gears. Just pay attention to how they came out. I give it a 4 on 1-10 scale only because it’s a bit of a delicate operation on the back side of the instrument cluster!

Adfalenski

Reaction score
The difficulty with checking a speedometer cable is getting to the end that connects to the speedometer. The speedometer cable is a long flexible cable that is inside a long flexible tube connecting the speedometer to the transmission. To check the speedometer cable, once it has been disconnected from the speedometer you grab the end of the cable and pull it out. It is 6 to 8 feet long and you do not want to get it dirty. Once it is out inspect it for dryness, fraying, or breaks. If it has no damage, I usually spray some lubricant into the housing from the speedometer end and then reinsert the cable into the housing. If the cable has any damage, replace the speedometer cable assembly(the housing and cable together). Once the cable has been reinserted into the cable housing, gently turn the cable until the cable catches and goes the rest of the way in. If the cable goes all the way in but still rotates, there is most likely a problem with the plastic speedometer gear in the transmission.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
To check speed cables i used to un hook at transmission and put A drill on it giver he a spin
Have someone in the car see if it is consistent reading
Adjusting the speed on drill to check
Old school

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if/when you remove the gauges before you plug them back in inspect both sides of the harness that the gauges connect to. On the gauge side they have some copper traces that are known to lift up and then something will not work on the gauges. This also might be that time you have been looking for to swap to led lights while its out if the budget can afford it.

TrickVert

Reaction score
The difficulty with checking a speedometer cable is getting to the end that connects to the speedometer. The speedometer cable is a long flexible cable that is inside a long flexible tube connecting the speedometer to the transmission. To check the speedometer cable, once it has been disconnected from the speedometer you grab the end of the cable and pull it out. It is 6 to 8 feet long and you do not want to get it dirty. Once it is out inspect it for dryness, fraying, or breaks. If it has no damage, I usually spray some lubricant into the housing from the speedometer end and then reinsert the cable into the housing. If the cable has any damage, replace the speedometer cable assembly(the housing and cable together). Once the cable has been reinserted into the cable housing, gently turn the cable until the cable catches and goes the rest of the way in. If the cable goes all the way in but still rotates, there is most likely a problem with the plastic speedometer gear in the transmission.
Pull, inspect, and lubricate it *now*, before it breaks!

Chip66

Reaction score
Am I missing something here? I thought all '94 and newer had electronic-driven speedos. No more cables. Not that I've owned a lot of SN95 stangs, just my '94.

Were there still some carry-over combinations that use a cable?

muzzy25

Reaction score
speedo stepper motor sticking the one that works the needle
there is 2 in the speedo 1 does the needle one does the distance count

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online

No members online now.