speedometer question

godfearingman

Reaction score
Hi my speedometer in my 94 GT automatic sits at 20-30 mph with car off and idle what would cause it? The speedo gear, the instrument cluster or what?

87hurricane

Reaction score
Does it seem to go up evenly, just starts at 20-30? If so, your needle may just be out of place, which is as easy as pulling the cluster, popping the needle off and repositioning it

lutter94

Reaction score
gonna need more info here, lol. its there at off and idle, whats it at any other time? accurate? does it drop back down? does it wait till you hit 30, then work?

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Sits at around 20 off goes up to 25 at idle it moves ok driving I've already had the cluster out and put the needle back at 0 and it'll go back up to around 20 by itself.

lutter94

Reaction score
it moves ok driving, does that mean its accurate at 30,40,50,60,etc.

and when you take the cluster off and put it back to zero, did you just turn the needle? or take it off the pin and put it back on at 0

lutter94

Reaction score
you have gps on your phone? if you're in a 45mph zone keeping up with traffic is it reading 50 or 75 lmao

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Have you seen the photos of it? I can't drive it that far legally I'll use a speedometer app I've used before can't go but around my neighborhood I'm sure it's not going to be accurate if it's not is that the speedo gea? I'm thinking about buying a new MLPS I can change that gear out while I'm under there as well if need be.

lutter94

Reaction score
Have you seen the photos of it? I can't drive it that far legally I'll use a speedometer app I've used before can't go but around my neighborhood I'm sure it's not going to be accurate if it's not is that the speedo gea? I'm thinking about buying a new MLPS I can change that gear out while I'm under there as well if need be.

I've seen some different threads, not sure if I've seen pics, lol. It could the the stepper motor itself, mine would freak out go all the way around and get stuck behind the peg. was annoying. bought a ebay cluster, they claimed it was good, had a broken odo gear, didn't matter was cheap enough. But I took the stepper motor from that cluster, put it in mine. When you put it back to zero, did you remove the needle? or just push it down?

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I removed it I think when I tried to push it back down it would go back up. I'll take the cluster back out and apart when I get home from work in the morning and let you know for sure.

lutter94

Reaction score
honestly i wouldn't worry about this part of the car a whole lot until its more drive-able. But with the key on it should be on 0mph, nonetheless, lol.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Yea I'm trying to fix as much as I can with the money I have I pulled the cluster back out it went back down to around 2-5mph

lutter94

Reaction score
does it move on its own? Does it do it with the trans harness still connected? Right side firewall, large connector.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Move on its own when? I' haven't tried to unplug anything to check because I don't know what I would need to lol

lutter94

Reaction score
you say it goes back to 25 when you put it to zero, then its at 2-5 mph, then its at 12 mph. somethings going on lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar