speedometer question

87hurricane

Reaction score
So when you unplugged the cluster the speedo dropped? If so, you've either got a bad cluster/speedo drive, or a wiring short somewhere that is feeding current to the speedo and making it read wrong.

lutter94

Reaction score
Install the cluster, note the speed. Then disconnect the trans harness on the firewall, right side. Note the speed then. Report back with findings.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I took the cluster apart I already had previously but the odometer gear was broken like most of these clusters for some reason. But the speedometer needle felt springy it'd stay below 10 but wouldn't stay all the way down kept going up just a hair. Plugged it in stayed the same turned the car on but didn't crank it went up some cranked up and it went back up to 20-30. Is the harness on the drivers side firewall? About where at on the firewall?

lutter94

Reaction score
felt springy? Again I am asking, did you remove the needle to adjust it, i.e. stuck a fork behind it and pry'd it off. Sounds like you're only pushing it back to zero with your finger. That won't do anything, except maybe damage the stepper motor its attached to. Sounds like it is offset 20-30 mph. Take the needle off with a fork, turn the key on, and push it back on at 0 mph. This will be close, you'll have to gps check it later. When you do your final check you can push it on (ever so slightly) and check it, if you're off a couple pop it off and adjust. Would prob help having a friend hold the wheel, with cruise control, on an open flat road.

This is where the trans connector is. But you're problem seems to be only in the needle adjustment. Again, don't worry about this part until you can actually drive the car.
Capture_zps0e9uvyk4.jpg

lutter94

Reaction score
Have you ever pulled the needle off? Yes it sounds like that is your problem. Remove the needle push it back on at 0mph. Its easy to push it on at a speed other than 0, so it might take a couple tries, be careful with it.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Found out I had to put the needle back on 0 with the car running or it'd go right back up again. but it's a 0 and will go back to 0 when I cut the car off.

lutter94

Reaction score
Take the needle off with a fork, turn the key on, and push it back on at 0 mph.

I mentioned this previously, and it shouldn't matter if its running or not, as long as the key is on.

Glad ya got it figured out, make sure you verify it when you can drive it.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Sorry I'm sleepy I worked last night first night back after 9 day vacation lol thanks for your help do you know anything about automatics?

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
Well I'm thinking if mine isn't toast it will be very soon it won't hardly move when it's cold unless I'm at 500-1200 rpm abut once it gets warm it moves pretty well normal other than the whole car feels like it shaking I think when its shifting. Plus it wants to move forwards in reverse and neutral had someone else on another forum to replace the MLPS said that sounds like what my problem is.

lutter94

Reaction score
Oh ic, that sounds bad, lol. I know I swapped mine to a T5 last summer. My old AODE is sitting on the floor of my shop back home.

The ATF looks good/smells good?

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I know right I sure would be happy to put an new MLPS and it work perfect but don't see that happening trying to decide whether to rebuild mine or get a good used one.

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
No the fluid was black as tar and smelled burnt I found what looked like turquoise colored pieces of metal in the filter. Went ahead and done a fluid/filter change it moves better now but won't go in reverse wants to move forward in all gears except park

lutter94

Reaction score
I would guess she's cooked. Does the oil still look bad after replacement? Did you flush the lines as well? A new tranny might be best, lol.

87hurricane

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like your trans is shot. Don't waste money trying to get it working, just find a used or rebuilt trans and be done with it. I literally hope you paid nothing for this car, sounds like it is a huge problem...

OP
OP
G

godfearingman

Reaction score
I paid $900 I'm thinking about getting a used one had several members on other forums say to get one out of an 99-04 V6 said there a lot stronger even than the one the car came with. Even have the wiring diagrams to know which wires to move around to make it hookup and work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online