Speedometer sticking at around 40?

Matthalas

Reaction score
Hey Gang, 98' v6 base. Speedometer is intermittently sticking around 40mph. It will always fall back to the 0 spot at stops, but it does so slowly. Hard to explain. I really need to fix this but aren't sure where to start. I was thinking speed sensor, but I have no check engine light on.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Bad cluster. It usually happens when something starts to ground out inside of the cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Matthalas

Reaction score
Bad cluster. It usually happens when something starts to ground out inside of the cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So is my best bet going to the JY and swapping an s95 cluster? Or will I probably run into the same issue given the age of em.

OP
OP
M

Matthalas

Reaction score
have you swapped gauge faces, or swapped lights in the gauges?
No, all I've done to the cluster is repair the odometer/trip odometer gears as they had both stopped turning.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
but it did require taking the gauges apart is all I concerned about. If you had not been inside of it I would question if it had gone bad possibly first but either way I would take it apart, inspect and reassemble to be sure that there wasn't something just a tad off.

OP
OP
M

Matthalas

Reaction score
but it did require taking the gauges apart is all I concerned about. If you had not been inside of it I would question if it had gone bad possibly first but either way I would take it apart, inspect and reassemble to be sure that there wasn't something just a tad off.
I'll take it out have a look. Thank you

Reaction score
If you are taking the gauge cluster out anyway , check a couple of things. The little plastic gears for the odometer should have some lube on them and not necessarily run dry. Also when you unplug the two harnesses for the instrument cluster spray all the plug ends with contact cleaner , it will improve connections . Also when I had mine out the needle was rubbing the cluster surface as in bent ! Check there is clearance for the actual needle

OP
OP
M

Matthalas

Reaction score
Quick update, when to local junkyard the other day and swapped out a v6s95 cluster. Was worried about the PATS or whatever the security feature was called. I've had no issues though. New old cluster working great, all gauges seem responsive and such.

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you. One junk yard near me has two sn95s but one of them is severely damaged, the other no drive train , small parts source I guess.

OP
OP
M

Matthalas

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you. One junk yard near me has two sn95s but one of them is severely damaged, the other no drive train , small parts source I guess.
This particular Junkyard had just one 98 V6. I got lucky, as the instrument cluster was still in it. That Stang had been picked apart very thoroughly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online