Spherical Bearings for Rear UCA's

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Wmfateam, do you have torque box reinforcements?

I like the sounds of there being no deflection anywhere in the links. All the energy being directed into the mounts, as in the chassis, as in all the energy being directed into the mass we are trying to move, sounds wonderful.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Wmfateam, do you have torque box reinforcements?

I like the sounds of there being no deflection anywhere in the links. All the energy being directed into the mounts, as in the chassis, as in all the energy being directed into the mass we are trying to move, sounds wonderful.
Not as of yet. A car that I race with has gone two season with this set up, and is around 350hp, no issues, tears or cracking. I probably will, just haven't yet.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have allllll spherical in the back. Absolutely love the feeling and how easily it is to rotate through corners. Zero bind. I'm hoping to get video of the back tomorrow, but it is supposed to rain. Hooray for first track day in the rain.

All spherical in the UCA's as well, yes?

wmfateam

Reaction score
Hmm, and no binding you say. Good to know. Are you also running a panhard bar?
No sir. My chassis and suspension guy say no. I will eventually have a redesigned four link, but time to measure, fab and test are not available in the near future.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No sir. My chassis and suspension guy say no. I will eventually have a redesigned four link, but time to measure, fab and test are not available in the near future.

Ah interesting. Thanks for the info! :)

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Wmfateam, does your chassis/suspension guy say why you should not run a panhard bar? Is it directly related to the use of spherical rod ends in the control arms? Or is he just more of a fan of the watts link?

wmfateam

Reaction score
Wmfateam, does your chassis/suspension guy say why you should not run a panhard bar? Is it directly related to the use of spherical rod ends in the control arms? Or is he just more of a fan of the watts link?

The panhard bar makes the car too damn stiff. I race with three other mustangs that all have them. The cars are like bricks through the corners. I have zero issues eating them up in the brake zones (they also have torque arms) nor do I have issues with them in the corners. My chassis guy who installed a panhard bar on one of the mustangs(97 Cobra 3,000lbs), and installed the all spherical bushings in a 95 GT. Driving them back to back, He says the 95 GT(2900lbs) rotates so much better. My car weighs 3400lbs, I run NT01's 255, Raybestos ST45 pads. The 97 Cobra 3000 RC-1 255, Raybestos ST43 pads. I have zero issues eating the 97 Cobra up going into and going through corners. He also has more horsepower and we have nearly identical lap times. We just had a 13 lap battle were I had a spark plug blow out, having to get a time sert before next race on Saturday. He would pull away down the straights, I would suck him right back in and had to slow down in the corners, then he would pull away again down the straights.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You are welcome. I can dig deeper into his and my head if you have any other questions or comments.

Are you running coil-overs in the rear? And if so, what spring rate?

wmfateam

Reaction score
Yes on rear coilovers. I believe 225lbs, I'll have to triple check tomorrow. I'm running custom tuned Bilsteins as well back there. Front I just have tokico illuminas with Steeda full comp springs that have 150lbs spring rubbers in them. Also steeda front and rear swaybar.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I'm sure that there are multiple different ways to convert the rear axle to coilovers, but my question is this... does the crossbar you weld between the framerails for the upper coilover mount(s) mount in a location that would make it impossible to later swap in the cobra irs?

Even a fully built and adjusted coilover-equipped solid rear axle suspension is not going to be as good as an independent rear suspension. No amount of spherical rod ends or torque arms or coilovers will give that axle any dynamic camber.

I guess if one was serious about going from a solid rear axle with coilovers to the cobra irs, they could just cut out the coilover crossmember if it was in the way. I know that the coilover(s) and their crossbar will not work with the irs swap.

wmfateam

Reaction score
I have no idea what crossbar you have to weld in to run coilovers. I have no extra pieces installed to run coilovers.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
If there is no added piece, then awesome. I must have been looking at someone's custom set-up, and just mistakenly thought that all coilover kits for the SN95 was like that.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Some people do put a rear strut tower bar in the trunk. But it's not specifically for coilovers.

95opal

Reaction score
I'm sure that there are multiple different ways to convert the rear axle to coilovers, but my question is this... does the crossbar you weld between the framerails for the upper coilover mount(s) mount in a location that would make it impossible to later swap in the cobra irs?

Even a fully built and adjusted coilover-equipped solid rear axle suspension is not going to be as good as an independent rear suspension. No amount of spherical rod ends or torque arms or coilovers will give that axle any dynamic camber.

I guess if one was serious about going from a solid rear axle with coilovers to the cobra irs, they could just cut out the coilover crossmember if it was in the way. I know that the coilover(s) and their crossbar will not work with the irs swap.

IDK all the griggs cars are SRA just sayin

95opal

Reaction score
I have no idea what crossbar you have to weld in to run coilovers. I have no extra pieces installed to run coilovers.

Hes talking about doing away with the coil over conversions that most guys throw in and going to an inward mount set up like Im using

DSCF1612_zps249911bb.jpg

CAM00254-1_zps448713fa.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online