Spindle nut removal....?

G_94_T

Reaction score
Im in the process of upgrading my front brakes to '03 GT PBR calipers.Since i have the stang in the air and the front tore apart i was going to go ahead and re-grease the wheel bearings but i've hit a snag.There seems to be some sort of metal "shroud" around the spindle nut.Does this come off with the nut or am i suppose bend the tabs back on it for some reason?.....Any help would be greatly appreciated.......thanks..........

ryclef331

Reaction score
Are talking about the metal dust cap? Just pop it off with a flat head. I think this is what you're talking about. I haven't taken my wheels off in awhile so I can't remember exactly but it SHOULD just pop off.

OP
OP
G

G_94_T

Reaction score
no,i took the dust cap off and the spindle nut itself has like a sheetmetal "cover" on it........am i suppose to take that off....i assume its some sort of device to keep the nut from backing off because there is no cotter pin....

OP
OP
G

G_94_T

Reaction score
as you can see in the pic,ive bent 2 of the tabs back trying ti figure the purpose...but anywat...........

[attachment deleted by admin]

OP
OP
G

G_94_T

Reaction score
come on,surely someone has had to have changed a wheel bearing something

redripper

Reaction score
If there is no cotter pin the metal shroud around the nut is a keeper. If you bend it out you should replace because the bending back and forth will weaken it. SAFETY first im sure you dont want your front wheel to fall off.

BRAD

OP
OP
G

G_94_T

Reaction score
IF i can get it off im gonna Loc-tite it back on

ryclef331

Reaction score
I wouldn't do that. Use the keeper its there for a reason. Red Loctite will let it go on but you'll NEVER get it off. The reason the keeper is there is to obviously keep that nut from backing off b/c it shouldn't have a very high torque setting on it. If its too tight, it will over preload the bearings and they'll fail early. I would fuck around with loctiting it. If the factory put that on there, I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing.

OP
OP
G

G_94_T

Reaction score
i found out its all one piece.....and it torques to 258ft.lbs.

SN-95

Reaction score
yea its all one piece and u cant regrease them they are sealed up.... all u can do is just take them off and put a new one on... by the way dont mess them up cause they cost a nice penny for them i remember paying around 140 per side...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Staff online

Members online