Spring install - How long to wait before alignment?

Reaction score
Im installing my suspension tomorrow; eibach pro-kit, kyb struts and shocks. How long should I wait to get it aligned? I know there is oftentimes a settling period for the springs.

Also, I will be traveling home to do the install so that I can use the garage (no garage at my apartment at college). I live about 70 miles away, should I be concerned about driving this distance without proper alignment on my way back to school?

Unfortunately, I am not mechanically inclined enough to tackle the caster and camber plates so Im gonna let my installer do that when its time for the PI intake and cam swap. Id be a little nervous about drilling holes into the strut towers.

One more thing, can a few of you guys recommend where I place the adjustable settings on my KYB AGX struts and shocks for normal everyday street driving? Im not too familiar with adjustable suspension. I think the front struts have 4 settings and the rear shocks 8.

Thanks for all your help! This forum is amazing.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
I will be in the same situation in a month or two. From what I've heard most springs settle in about a week or two. I'd probably wait 2 weeks since theoretically the longer you wait the better. I wouldn't want to get it aligned, then have the springs settle, then get it aligned again. As long as the caster/camber isn't too extreme there shouldn't be a problem with driving around for a little while I wouldn't think. As you probably know, the treadwear is affected by the caster and camber over time the tread will wear uneven without proper alignment. Good luck with the install. O0

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
I have FRPP B springs and KYB GR-2 struts on the front....been riding around with no alignment on my car since March, when i installed the springs...Im gonna take it in to get it aligned, but the thing is that i hope they dont tell me i need CC plates, cause the main reason i bought the FRPP springs is because my sales rep told me that the drop is not that aggressive that i would neeed CC plates.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
you'll be fine to drive back to school, i would wait at least 2-3 weeks to let them settle...i have had my springs in since january and have yet to get an alignment, and my springs gave me a 2" drop and it doesn't look like a have any bad treadwear...and that is over 4,000 miles.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Sounds good.... I'll be sure to take some pix before and after for the comparision and keep you guys posted.

Does anyone know anything about these AGX's I'm gonna be installing with the Pro-kit? Where should I have them set for daily driving?

Thanks for the help.

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
you'll be fine to drive back to school, i would wait at least 2-3 weeks to let them settle...i have had my springs in since january and have yet to get an alignment, and my springs gave me a 2" drop and it doesn't look like a have any bad treadwear...and that is over 4,000 miles.

Do you have CC plates?

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, I have Maximum Motorsports C/C plates. However, I won't be installing them at this time. I think the C/C plate install involves drilling holes into the strut towers which I wouldn't be comfortable doing. If I was a more competent wrencher, it would probably save some time doing the C/C plates and struts all at once, but like I said, I don't want to be drilling holes in my car.

My plan is to have them professionally installed a week or 2 later once I get back to school when my PI intake and cams go in. By that time, the springs will have settled and I'll be able to go straight to the alignment shop.

I'm about to get started so wish me luck and thanks for the input.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Springs, struts, and shocks are installed. Looks and handles amazingly, night and day difference!

It was a tough install, my first time though so great experience. Oh, and the aftermarket springs don't just "slip" in like it said in the Spring Installation guide I found online at mustangworld.com. I ended up using the "wire method", binding the springs with wire to keep them compressed for the install. It worked great!

I'll post before and after pictures later this evening.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
68mustang5.0 said:
DFG_Pimpin said:

Do you have CC plates?
i do, but they are on the floor behind my passenger seat. :hammer:

68mustang5.0

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
68mustang5.0 said:
DFG_Pimpin said:

Do you have CC plates?
i do, but they are on the floor behind my passenger seat. :hammer:

haha, nice place for them :hammer:

94darkhorse

Legend
Reaction score
You'll be safe. I drove back home then back down to school and then got mine realigned. All in all it was about 2 weeks before I got it realigned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online