Spring rate Question

Discussion in 'Suspension and Brakes' started by Randy, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Randy

Randy New Member

My 95 gts 302.. Is about to get a new K Member after the Holidays.. I am thinking of going with a Team Z chromyl kit with coil overs and bump steer http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/product_p/tzm-cmkmk-94-95.htm I just am wondering what you guys would think a good spring rate would be..? Great roads here in Pensacola no bumps or potholes. Looking to get my car into the 10 sec range with 'in the next year. ( boosted 331 stroker ) currently have eibach lowered on front and rear... [​IMG]

2. 5-oh-MUSTANG

5-oh-MUSTANG Well-Known Member

[MENTION=15502]Ferocious[/MENTION]. He's got the info on coils

3. OnyxCobra

OnyxCobra Legend

well do you want a drag race spring rate or a good street/handling spring rate?

4. Win

Win Legend

i had a 14" 300lb and my old 347 was in the high tens....

i had a steeda comp 250lb rear spring on there.

5. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

This ^

If you're looking for a good handling rate, Team Z doesn't offer anything.
    According to the link you posted, the stiffest they have is 200lbs which is still pretty soft.

6. Randy

Randy New Member

More of a good street handle.. I'll street drive it, more than at the track.

7. Win

Win Legend

300 is a good spring rate then.. 150 is more drag spring... Then a 475 is more auto x track racing

8. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

Yup. I'm running 300# springs right now. They're very street friendly.

9. Randy

Randy New Member

Sweet... Thanks...I will have to see if they offer a 300 plus on the rate if not the search goes' on .. I am looking to keep it under $ 1000.00 for the K member kit.

10. Win

Win Legend

Just look and look... My old coilovers front and steeda rear.. I was only into it 225 bucks then add on another 225 I paid for my bilsteins on all 4 corners... You can easily find k member and all to easily under 1g

11. OnyxCobra

OnyxCobra Legend

Just keep in mind you want to match the front spring rates with the rear, 300 may be hard to match without rear coilovers also.

12. Win

Win Legend

Mine mated amazing with my steeda comp rears...
    300 front
    250 rear

rode amazing and actually handled like it was on rails.

13. mcglsr2

mcglsr2 Well-Known Member SN95 Supporter

I guess I won't be much help since I haven't installed them yet, but I've got 375 lbs for the front coilovers, 225 lbs in the rear coilovers (with a panhard bar). The car is a track car. I'm installing them soon.

14. OnyxCobra

OnyxCobra Legend

might depend who you ask then, my rear springs are 275-300lb-in and it was suggested to me not to go over 250lb-in coilovers in the front.

15. Win

Win Legend

Very true

how does it ride?

16. 95opal

95opal Well-Known Member

If that's indeed the case a 300-375 is fine upfront. The higher the spring rate the stiffer the ride will be. A 250 rear wil also be fine outback. Don't know if you looked into team z autox k-member its lighter along with some added bracing. Problem with the kit your looking at is its 100% drag oriented, no real spring rate for the street. If you switch up and go with there autox k-member and a arms, you can then look to maximum motorsports for there coilover setup which is by far one of the highest quality kits out there. All in all it will probably come out to the same price. If your on corral PM Art over at jdsperformance he gives great discounts on both MM and team-z stuff, cant beat his prices or service just a great guy to deal with.

17. OnyxCobra

OnyxCobra Legend

I feel like it rides great even dropped 3". I'd even go as far as saying it rides better than when I had the H&R SuperSport springs up front.

18. Randy

Randy New Member

I have no clue to what my rear eibach springs are rated... I just got the money hole 3 months ago... But I did notice when I put on new bbk gripper lower control arms and poly bushings in the stock upper rear, the car sits a bit higher in the rear. plus I put on rear top shelve monroe shocks and struts from local auto parts store... was hoping it would settle down but it hasn't .And I actually pulled out aluminum rear lower control arms and am replacing the bushings and putting them back in when K member gets installed. And hope it will set back down about a inch.. Plus I am going to get adjustable upper rear control arms that's gonna be another dilemma.

19. Randy

Randy New Member

Thanks .. I'll get on that this weekend and check.. I want a 300 plus rate also from what ya all recommend, more street friendly. Thanks for your time