Sputtering new edge

thenewedge

Reaction score
Hey everyone.I got a new Mustang Nov 25th,an 01 GT,it has a few goodies such as rebuilt trans with 3k stall 4.10 gears,aluminum driveshaft,and flowmaster exhaust along with EGR delete,but the car is running very poorly (erratic miss)the only code is for the EGR.any ideas??Plugs are all clean and gaped correctly and I haven't found any obvious vacuum leaks,she likes to idle surge,attempt to die (sometimes succeeds) at stop signs but sometimes runs fine,More so when she warms up do the issues occur.I cleaned the MAF a bit ago,it had oil on it oddly enough but cleaning it help quite a bit but it started to sputter again after giving it 3/4 throttle after cleaning it.Before I start dumping money into unneeded parts id love some input.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oil in MAF was probably from over oiled air filter.

Like Chris91 said above check out that IAC. When mine went bad it was doing exactly as you said. I swapped mine out for a new IAC and all was good.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Maf and iac with do terrible things to you idle. I will also concur that if the computer wants to see egr working and it's not there, it will make you run rough too.

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Oil in MAF was probably from over oiled air filter.

Like Chris91 said above check out that IAC. When mine went bad it was doing exactly as you said. I swapped mine out for a new IAC and all was good.
Agreed. When my iac valve went out it did the same thing. When in neutral would surge up and down. With it in gear it would make the car speed up on it own then slow down push the clutch in and the surge would continue. I would get a new iac. My02 .

sent while thinking of mods for my 4.6s using tapatalk

OP
OP
T

thenewedge

Reaction score
ok,the surging isnt a big deal,the miss is the main concern,new 02 sensors put in yesterday,stilll missing.

OP
OP
T

thenewedge

Reaction score
alright,I just put on a new IAC and the car wont idle at all now,surged twice and then dies completely.Earlier today I drove the car to my work where a friend has a code reader,it ran perfect the whole way there (2 miles) then after work I drove around town allowing it to warm totally up and again it ran perfectly,I pull Slowly into my driveway and it starts missing terribly,messed with it and never got anything figured out,installed this new IAC took it to town and drove it around 3 miles or so and again it ran perfect,pulled into a parking lot slowly to turn around and starts missing like crazy,does anything of these patterns mean anything?drive from cold and stay moving- runs good,slow down to idle - starts missing. AHHH!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Perhaps. ....and this is just a shot in the dark...just maybe....maybe you re-install the egr....just to see how the car responds. Probably a waste of time, but hey....youll try anything now....right?

OP
OP
T

thenewedge

Reaction score
Perhaps. ....and this is just a shot in the dark...just maybe....maybe you re-install the egr....just to see how the car responds. Probably a waste of time, but hey....youll try anything now....right?

I do not have the EGR,the previous owner removed it long ago,not just the EGR but the vacuum block/sensor that went along with it

07GtS197

Reaction score
Did you ever check the codes? It sounds to me like a possible vacuum leak or failing cop's. How old is your alternator? Is the maf and iac plugged in?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Has it been deleted in your tune?!? If not then there's your problem.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
T

thenewedge

Reaction score
Has it been deleted in your tune?!? If not then there's your problem.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!
the EGR was deleted long ago and has ran for a long time with no issues,it seems to me (though im no expert) that it would have start having problems long ago if it was EGR related,plus I have asked a few local guys who have done the same mod with no tune and they are having no issues

07GtS197

Reaction score
the EGR was deleted long ago and has ran for a long time with no issues,it seems to me (though im no expert) that it would have start having problems long ago if it was EGR related,plus I have asked a few local guys who have done the same mod with no tune and they are having no issues

Did you ever check the codes? It sounds to me like a possible vacuum leak or failing cop's. How old is your alternator? Is the maf and iac plugged in?

I hate to sound like a broken record but did you try the above? Also verify everything is plugged in.

OP
OP
T

thenewedge

Reaction score
yes unfortunately i have checked and double checked,had it running while I was outside wiggling every coil harness and fuel injector harness.nothing was immediately obvious but its hard to track an exact point of interest with it being a random misfire.I also checked the 2 plugs on the intake tube

07GtS197

Reaction score
If it is a random misfire then there would be a pending code. If you have the ability to, datalog and post it here, otherwise, use a vacuum gauge to see whats going on.

OP
OP
T

thenewedge

Reaction score
If it is a random misfire then there would be a pending code. If you have the ability to, datalog and post it here, otherwise, use a vacuum gauge to see whats going on.

no pending codes,I have not the ability to datalog,unfortunately

OP
OP
T

thenewedge

Reaction score
In that case a vacuum gauge will be your best friend. It can tell you a lot about your motor, thats what they used back in the day instead of a scanner.

yeah,im unsure where to use one at,I know on the older vehicles but these newer ones are a different story

07GtS197

Reaction score
Tee into the hose that goes from the drivers side valve cover to the intake tube. Use duct tape it you have to to get a good seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online

No members online now.