Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
bucket.bmp

Spyder

Reaction score
Well, I still need to break it in a bit and adjust the timing, so for the moment it feels okay, but I'm gonna tune it a bit tonight and maybe rip on it a bit.

Hicks

Reaction score
Spyder said:
Well, I still need to break it in a bit and adjust the timing, so for the moment it feels okay, but I'm gonna tune it a bit tonight and maybe rip on it a bit.

Arn't you sapposed to go 500 miles?

Spyder

Reaction score
Well, I have read a ton of threads all over about breaking it in. Most people say to make sure the pistons rings are seated, then rip it up. And most of the shops I have talked to break them in on the dyno, so ill be nice to it for a minute or two

Hicks

Reaction score
Spyder said:
Well, I have read a ton of threads all over about breaking it in. Most people say to make sure the pistons rings are seated, then rip it up. And most of the shops I have talked to break them in on the dyno, so ill be nice to it for a minute or two

i just always heard the 500 mile thing..???
How do you know when the rings are seated?

Doc_G

Reaction score
do those links not work for anyone else... all I get is some wierd russian looking text w/alot of squares... OMG WTF HAX???

Spyder

Reaction score
Usually when the engine stops smoking, that means the rings are seated. Plus, the general concensus is that they will be seated within the first few minutes of start up.

Hicks

Reaction score
Spyder said:
Usually when the engine stops smoking, that means the rings are seated. Plus, the general concensus is that they will be seated within the first few minutes of start up.

Hmm........ i gues the 500 mile is just saftey then?
Ill probly ride mine alittle but ill wait till my 500 is up i dunno..
Im perinoid >.<

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
if the rings dont seat properly right away then they wont ever. You dont have to baby it for 500 miles. Main thing is to change oil properly

also the vids aint working for me either :dunno:

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
RIngs break in much faster than they used to.

Mine broke in on the dyno. (before it blew up)

The vids are standard .AVI format. you guys may need to update your codec.

Hicks

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
RIngs break in much faster than they used to.

Mine broke in on the dyno. (before it blew up)

The vids are standard .AVI format. you guys may need to update your codec.

Meh.... I still don't understand. Is there like a certai thing you gota do right when you first crank your engine for the first time?

Spyder

Reaction score
From what i have read and heard from various sources, there isnt much you can do when the rings are seating.

Once you start the new engine, you dont want to rev it to the moon right away. And by the time you feel comfortable enough to drive it, the rings have already seated.

Basically when you first start it up just let it idle until it stops smoking, then your rings are pretty much seated and your all set. Since we have hydrolic roller cams, there is no need for running it on jackstands or letting it idle for an hour or anything like that. Those are techniques for solid flat tappet cams, so they dont apply to us.

Well, we got the timing set at about 15*, and it is running real nice!! I havent done any full throttle pulls, but for playing around with half throttle, she pulls nice and hard.

Hicks

Reaction score
i just kindof figured like the Engine itsself would need to adjust and set in to... ya know?

I dunno... enyone else got eny imput?

Spyder

Reaction score
Hicks said:
i just kindof figured like the Engine itsself would need to adjust and set in to... ya know?

Yeah, the computer is alwasy learning and retuning some perimeters, but most of the major adjustments the computer makes will be made within 20-30 minutes of running.

Hicks

Reaction score
Spyder said:
Hicks said:

Yeah, the computer is alwasy learning and retuning some perimeters, but most of the major adjustments the computer makes will be made within 20-30 minutes of running.

Ic, well thats cool. I'll probly still be easy on the car for a while. Just because im perinoid... lol
But i didn't know you could run it that quick..
i figured the crank would like break or something from not being warn in or something mess up??

Trickflow.GT

Reaction score
what kinda of harmonic balancer did you go with....50, 28? im doing my motor soon and im not sure what a 331 needs... :dunno:

Spyder

Reaction score
I have always been told that with any late model 302 based motor that you should go with a 50oz balancer.

I went with the professional products because it was affordable

If money isnt too tight, i have heard alot of good things about the romac balancers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online