srt4 or cobalt ss

punched281

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a little four cylinder for a dd car. I want something still somewhat fun to run around in. I am trying to keep in under 9k. I don't really want car payments but I need a car that gets me to work even if it is bad road conditions. I have a crown vic for a dd but I haven't been able to drive it the last couple of weeks from weather.

I am thinking about a cobalt ss, srt4 and keeping the vic and picking up an older pathfinder or 4runner for snow days. What do you guys think?

Evo's are out so don't mention them, they are way too much. And I am not getting a subaru either.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
These are pretty much the bane of all V8 cars. Hated probably more than condoms themselves.

However, I have some experience with both cars. And I will first add that they are cheap platforms that they added power to. Granted the drive train is quite different they were still cheap cars from the start. That being said, the SRT-4 is a car that can be made very fast for just a few grand, the SS comes in two flavors, super or turbocharged. The turbo is faster if that's important to you. Personally, I'd take the SRT since it's quicker (erection) and it cost very little for me to insure. However, from when I was looking it seemed that there were far more unmolested SS cars out there versus SRT cars. For reliability probably an SS?

I don't know, I hate them both and kind of want one.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

SRT-4: Certainly more juvenile than the Cobalt. Probably easier to make it go faster, since that's kind of the point of the car. Plus it's a 4-door.
Cobalt SS: I'd go for the turbo model for the reason previously mentioned, it's got more power. It's a 2-door. I also think of the Cobalt as the more "adult" car. Meaning this: I've seen tons of SRT-4's that are super dirty, neon-colored wheels, slammed, etc. I've seen a number of Cobalts - and they pretty much look stock. Most even had the stock wheels, though lowered a bit.

So it's up to you, what do you care more about. If it's something that's a little reserved but fun to drive, I'd vote Cobalt. If you wanted all out power in a cheap platform, SRT-4. What are your priorities? Do you care about a backseat? 4-door? Looking for something relatively unmolested? Do you care about trunk space? What's important to you in a DD?

FWIW, I drove a Shelby CSX as my DD for many years. It's a 4 cyl turbo, essentially the precursor to the SRT-4. It's a 2-door, worked great for me, was a blast to drive, and as a bonus has a rear hatch rather than trunk, which let me cart around all kinds of things.

If you don't care about absolute power, there are a number of other cars that are better in other categories that might be more appealing than a Cobalt or a Neon.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
To answer your question, I would say the cobalt ss, out of the options you listed.

If I may add my own suggestion, I would say try find an awd turbo eagle talon. But I don't even like those, either. None of the cars listed are anything I would ever want to drive, but I am a die-hard fan of rwd, and it looks like that is exactly what you are trying to avoid. So I will shut up and bow out of this discussion.

Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I will try and hit everyone's point.

I would rather the turbo'd ss for sure. The cobalts are cheaper around here than the art's. I don't want a platform to build on, just a fun car to puddle jump around in. I have a built 2v for my platform for my power quest. So strictly a daily driver. And would like a 4-door (insurance and practicality)

I already haver an eagle talon, it is a great car but my fiance drove it for a while and blew the timing belt. I fixed it and I finally got it back on the road, I am just over this car. It is awesome but who knows when it is going to go out again, and I just got my job and I am not looking to call in to my brand new job saying I can't make it cause of a dumb car. I am selling the talon.

I am keeping an eye out for an svt focus with lower miles on it.

But I am pretty set on something 4cyl turbo'd but practical. I am on edge about the mazdaspeed3 too but those are kinda meh...

Witzy0070

Reaction score
I don't think the SVT is turbo (America). It's like 160 HP, unworthy of SVT.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Svt isn't turbo's but there are forced induction options.
Still a fun car. And it is worthy of the svt name... 160hp out of a NA 4cyl in early 2000 isn't bad. The engine is tuned by cosworth. The handling was adjusted a lot on them over the standard focus. I think it would be a really fun autox car.

There's also a svt contour, those had a bunch done to them but werent very successful.

First gen mazdaspeed3 are nice.

Also Taurus sho made good power (v6- first and second gen, don't bother with the catfish v8 ones)

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
srt4

I <3 srt4's

If someone would have given me what I was asking when the 95 was for sale Id be in one now. They are cheap to make fast and reliable for the most part. Dont expect any luxury from it though because its still a neon. The ss didnt really get any good until the turbo'd version

Also you cant beat the sound from the srt

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
I dig the svt foci, even if it isn't boosted. I dread working on the contours tho. It has the yamaha v6 in it and it is crammed in there. I have worked on one before and I will pass.

It is still between srt4, ss and svt focus. I need to go drive all of them. The svt focus are hard to come by tho. I think all would be pretty cool cars and would be a lot of fun on road trips. Something my fiancé and I really enjoy doing and that is something we consider while looking at cars haha.

She is getting the RS when it comes out too, so I wanna stay somewhat cheap so we both don't have giant payments.

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
SRT's do sounds awesome, the thing I like in the ss is the timing chain. There is a local turbo'd ss with 50-some k on it and super clean for 13.5k.

If I was in the position I would go look at it.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like the Cobalt (except for the neon lights, not my thing). ;)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
they can both be quick cars for sure but I also agree on the cheap platform. I had a cobalt as a rental a few years back and it was only 2 weeks old when I got it. I was amazed that by the time I brought it back 2 weeks later there were all kinds of scratches on the cheaply painted interior. The car was a month old when I brought it back and the writing on the buttons was already wearing off and you could see other areas where the interior was just either not put together right or was already falling off. All I could think was that f that was the interior was either that bad or put together that badly that I would have hated to dig in further and see what else was cheap or not right....

OP
OP
P

punched281

Reaction score
Good to know!

Yea I would take that shit off right when I got home haha

The focus is sweet but I worry how long that will last when someone else built it and has that kinda mileage on it

GTfiveoh

Reaction score
I may be biased

The stage 3 I had with turbo toys (sorry for the picture quality it was a few years ago...iphone 4)

Caboose302

Reaction score
Eclipse GSX
^this! Or a Talon TSi (sometimes they're cheaper) The Cobalts are huge pieces of shit and the neon is.... Well, still a neon. They do hold their value well. My brother-in-law had one with a stage 2 turbo kit, wrecked it and still got 8k out of it. He didn't really like it that much though as a DD.

Have you looked at a Focus or Fiesta ST?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online