Stage 2/3 heads

NERD

Reaction score
How much HP could someone expect from stage 2 or 3 heads? I know it has a lot to do with the mod choices so lets keep it to a list of basic mods (not mine).

VT stage2 cams
long tubes
Great tune
Standard compression for a PI motor

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Are you sticking with stock cams? Cuz if you are its a waste of money to go with stage 2/3 heads! But I would say 315 would be easily acheiveable!

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
I listed the mods... I'm have a few things on my plate right now. Among other things is a new block project and a IRS swap.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I completely missed that it was stage 2 cams! I say 315 is achieveable, but 305 is a better number at those compression ratios!

drifts14x

Reaction score
Please, tell me why you want IRS? Last Cobra I drove with IRS was wheel-hop city... But with your list, you should expect no less than 300, but still, take some money out of your IRS fund and put it into a set of decent cams, that way you can see some really nice 330-350 numbers.

Boomer!

Reaction score
If we leave the ricer stage factor out 320 is possible, all these companies that run CNC programs think in a box. A true head porter will port the head to what is best for your combo not just a generic head. Port shaping, bowl blendind, radius work and chamber work all have different effects on what type of aspiration is thrown at it. I happen to know someone who has a P.I swapped (hand ported head) with custom ground cams and all the bells and whistles put down 320 thru an automatic.
I just have issues with the ricerfied magazine articles that make evryone have wishfull makebelieve power that can only be produced a the neverland ranch :hammer: Research what you plan to do, do not take the guys advice that is selling you the part as he is a salesman that is his job. The big race companies are making more power than you or I ever will, they do not sell the stuff that makes them faster, they market parts to be good and keep the great items under their hat. :thumb:

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
drifts14x said:
Please, tell me why you want IRS? Last Cobra I drove with IRS was wheel-hop city... But with your list, you should expect no less than 300, but still, take some money out of your IRS fund and put it into a set of decent cams, that way you can see some really nice 330-350 numbers.

MY car spends more time on the street than it ever does on the track and making trips on any road in Michigan is a painful one. The most amount of WHP I will ever make is 425 and with 315's wheel hop wont be an issue. Especially with new bushings... The IRS is a free one minus the 4 bolts I have to buy.

The hard part seems to really be making up my mind of what route I'm really going to be going in. I figure if I do P/P heads I'll have better volumetric efficiency and be able to run about 6lbs of boost to get to my 400+ mark... OR putting on a SC with stock heads and stressing my engine at 10lbs and forcing out 400+. My buddy just blew up his motor at 10lbs so I'm not really wanting to go that route.

Boomer!

Reaction score
Just keep in mind boost is only a measure of restriction, ported heads may lower boost but will increase power. On a safe tune 400 is not a problem for a stock lower end, if you have a heavy foot it will not last as long as periodic abuse.

OP
OP
NERD

NERD

Reaction score
Boomer! said:
Just keep in mind boost is only a measure of restriction, ported heads may lower boost but will increase power. On a safe tune 400 is not a problem for a stock lower end, if you have a heavy foot it will not last as long as periodic abuse.

Thats what I meant about 6lbs of boost, I have an engine that runs strong now thats in my car and only has about 40k on it but my buddy just blew up his motor on 10lbs making 428 to the wheels. I figure as long as I have the block sitting around, I should make use of it and have all the extra security of it being forged.