Stage two cam

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
A friend of mine is wanting to fit a stage two cam I to his new edge. I don’t agree with this but he is anyway but now he is saying that a stage two cam will work fine with out a tune, is this correct?
The only mods he has on the car are long tube headers. is he just wasting his money?
He’s not after more power just the idle sound of a classic V8. So question is is he wasting his money?
And if not will a stage two cam work ok without a tune ?

apsmith49921

Reaction score
No way I could cam a vehicle with out a tune. Period

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PinkieT

Reaction score
I did some checking around. Like ttocs said, it all depends on which mfg. cams you use. Not all "stage 2" cams have the exact same specs or installation requirements. Comp Cams stage 2 kit recommends upgraded valve springs. Trick Flow stage 2s require a check of valve to piston clearance before install and tuning afterwards. Modular Head Shop stage 2s say no tuning, spring changes, or clearance checks are required. Tell your buddy to shop carefully and do the research before he buys.

Werecow

Reaction score
Just about every cam manufacturer will also tell you that buying a cam "just for the sound" is the wrong reason and usually is a mistake. If you get something just for the "lumpity lump" sound, it's not gnna be a well mannered engine, a bitch when it's cold and have nil vacuum for, oh idk, something important like brakes, unless they have hydro boost brakes..

PinkieT

Reaction score
Stage 2 cams are considered pretty mild. It is up to your buddy, but I personally can't see spending $600 to $1,000 on a set of cams just for the sound with some mild hp boost to go along with it. Me, I get plenty of growl with a good exhaust system.

Werecow

Reaction score
Good point @PinkieT, if he wants some sound tell him to spend it in a set of Flowmaster 40's and put the rest in a savings account.... Or just send the rest to me!!!

joe65

Reaction score
yeah if you mention stages on cams to custom cam guys they just shake their heads. I found a video by Jordan the guy that owns MHS now where he degrees a cam for the 2vs and talks about what his cams made by comp cams can do depending on what you're hoping to get out of the motor, power wise. Found it on youtube. Anyways there's cams you can throw in and not tune, but a tune will always maximize the cam, so why wouldn't you? Seems like a waste of money do not tune after adding heads or cams.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
A choppy loping idle will require a tune. And i cant see a stage 2 cam hittin a lick!

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Well I’ve spoken to him and showed him all your replies but I think he is still going ahead with it. The kit is a comp cam stage two kit that comes with new springs but he’s not listening to anyone about having a tune done after the install so sod him, he’s own his own on this one. Thanks for all your help and advice just a little annoyed he isn’t listening to anyone

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you should tell him to consider the price of a new exhaust or mufflers at least or what ever lope he gets through the stock exhaust will still be quiet.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Make sure he just does it all dot to dot too. Leave as much horsepower on the table as possible

PinkieT

Reaction score
Comp's info says it is compatible with a stock tune, so he doesn't NEED a tune but it would be helpful anyway. Still, if he has stock exhaust, at least go with better mufflers or it'll be like listening to your favorite music thru earmuffs...

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
He has no cats fitted, true dual exhaust system and I believe loud mouth

apsmith49921

Reaction score
If no cats and an slp loud mouth doesn't do it for him there is no hope. I've got an off road x with slp lm1 mufflers it's as loud as it gets

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I had hi tech stage 2's in my Bullitt. did not require springs but did require a tune. car sounded amazing and pulled way harder. loved them. only issue I had was in my neighborhood, at like 25 mph, 3rd gear..forget it. car jumped until I swapped out the 3.73's to 4.10's, then 3rd gear was no issue.

PinkieT

Reaction score
If no cats and an slp loud mouth doesn't do it for him there is no hope. I've got an off road x with slp lm1 mufflers it's as loud as it gets

I'm guessing now Adam's buddy isn't looking for a louder exhaust, he wants a less smooth, more aggressive sound at idle. More like a race car rumpity-rump.

Craig

Reaction score
Anybody know if the Compcams stage 2 XE270AH with have piston valve clearance issues? Doing a NPI to PI head swap as well.

joe65

Reaction score
stock valves? maybe. it has to be checked. I think there's lots of guys just running them, but i think they are really close and you'd want to nail the cam degreeing on those.

look up MHS cam degreeing video on youtube. its worth listening to watching Jordan talk about aftermarket cams and the 2vs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online