Stang radiator fan almost caught fire!!!!

313blkstang

Reaction score
well well well.. So today I'm out with my car club not driving crazy or anything. I'm sitting at a stop sign when suddenly I see my temp gauge going to the far right, smell plastic burning and see a lil smoke coming from under the hood.. I immediately turn the car off and pop the hood to find the radiator fan smoking like crazy so I unplugged it and started pouring water on it. Now I was lucky this time because my last Mustang had the same thing happen, only I was in the house watching tv when my son said "Dad there is fire droppin under your car".. ran out and put it out with water etc, real expensive repair.. Now seein as how this almost happened again today with a different car, thank God I was in the car thereby preventing any further damage, is this a common occurence with 96/97 GT's? How much should I be expecting to pay for a replacement fan? I think I can do the install myself.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Damn, i guess the motor seized...it should cost you like $100 or so for a new one.

OP
OP

313blkstang

Reaction score
Yeah.. funny the very same thing happened on my first mustang too... the install isn't difficult is it? I'm just so happy that I was in the car when it started smoking. Next question.. I was about 20 miles from home when this happened and I drove home on the freeway with the heat on full blast and it drove normally and didn't even come close to overheating, stayed between the R and M all the way home... Do you think it is safe to drive to work in the morning? Or should I leave it parked?

97blackgt

Reaction score
it will be fine to drive to work...

just make sure theres not oo many stop lights or city driving...

OP
OP

313blkstang

Reaction score
Thanx!!!! I'm just happy as heck that it didn't burn up.. :drunk: and my drive between work and home is straight highway, not even 3 stop lights between..

whty98

Reaction score
Cost of new fan assembly = $~200 new, I looked everywhere and the cheapest was $170 with a lifetime warranty. I just replaced mine because somehow a bolt got between the fan and radiator...only a $400 fix.

95-stang

Reaction score
I heard this was a recall on early sn95's, seems it was'nt cured completely, glad you got the fire under control.

"1995 Mustang w/3.8-liter or 5.0-liter engines: The engine-cooling-fan bearing can seize. Excessive heat may be generated, melting the fan-motor electrical connector, and possibly causing fan-motor components to ignite."

Well the last bit you know about.

voidfinger

Reaction score
wow that sucked, i've heard that the cooling system on 96-97 are messed up but i dont know if thats one of the things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online