Starter install questions/help!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ah yes, the question(s)!

The thinner of the 2 red wires,I believe, goes to the starter. It goes back to the firewall, into the plastic sheathing stuff(?), then seems to terminate at the passenger side firewall?
Question there:
1. It goes down the engine side of the firewall, and hugs the floorboard to the starter, right?
And:
2. Do I simply replace the same thin wire with the new wire from PA Performance?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yup the same connectors should just slap right on it. The thinner wire is the trigger wire that when you turn the key will activate the solenoid. When it is activated the larger wire supplies the power to the the starter. I would disconnect either the + or - on the battery before you do this as if you ground out that power wire it can make some big sparks.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just rechecked the instructional video on LMR, and they were covering up to ‘91 when apparently there was an apron mounted solenoid where you swap the wires around. There in lies the confusion!

weendoggy

Reaction score
So, which starter do you have now? Single battery lead...stock Ford type, or, mini starter with solenoid mounted to the starter? If you have a single lead, you're going to do some wiring. Why is PA sending you a new starter wire?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As far as I know it’s the stock starter.

Pretty sure PA sends a new wire to accommodate their high torque mini starter, which I got to replace the stock starter for my higher compression (stroker) motor.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The PA Performance starter has the solenoid mounted piggy back

weendoggy

Reaction score
If you have a single wire stock (old school) Ford starter, they also sell a high torque version of that one, which is much easier to replace and no wiring involved. If you have a piggy-backed solenoid starter, it should be straight forward as well. Just replace the starter and re-connect them at the starter.

If you're changing from a single wire to remote solenoid type starter, that's where you have wiring to do.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, partial success! So far this morning I’ve:
1. disconnected - side of battery;
2. removed old starter (that top bolt was fun to get to!);
3. removed old wire and run the supplied red wire from fuse box, piggy-backing it along the old wire/casing to the starter location.

My questions are these:
1. I get that the small black wire goes to the smallest post on the new starter (I’ll have to clip it and clamp on a connector), but where do the 2 remaining wires go? Does it matter? There’s one post that has a black wire that feeds into the cylinder and another post that just has 2 nuts on it.

Which one does the red wire supplied by PA Performance go on?

Thanks everyone!74CC4CA2-8891-415C-9C37-01C41AB0BBD1.jpegimage.jpg35FA49E0-44FD-49B7-B92E-4FCF1D83D321.jpeg

Last edited:

weendoggy

Reaction score
How many wires did your old starter have? One big red (Bat +) and a small one that slipped on a spade terminal?
Did your old one look like the new one? Was the "supplied" wire the same as the old wire you took off?
Do you still have a 4ga wire from the battery to power the starter?
Your picture of the battery cable, black solenoid lead and whatever the red wire with crimp end is suspect to what you're doing.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Finished install about 15 minutes ago!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member