Starter went?

Blau

Reaction score
Ever since I accidentally let my battery drain out, what I assume is my starter has been making a knocking-type noise upon startup. Last night she wouldn't start - there was a noise like a bicycle wheel going round very fast with a card in the spoke (coming from the starter, again). The noise is comparatively quiet compared to how loud the starter was. I'm guessing the thing finally kicked it. But I have no experience with starters, and wanted to get some confirmation on that fact before I stop by NAPA. Anyone have any info they can share? Thanks a million!

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Sounds like the centrifugal spring that engages the flywheel isn't fully connecting. I'd check ALL grounds make sure you have good ground. Double check your batt charge. Hook it up to the charger on start setting and maybe try it. Make sure connections on batt are nice and tight. If nothing.... The starters are 2 bolts holding it on and 2 electrical connections. Very easy to swap out. I'm assuming this is the 5.0 car in your sig? I'd pick one up, try it out if it doesn't fix the problem Napa will take them back if you tell them it's the wrong one and your mechanic picked you up another. I don't remember them being too costly. best thing about the 5.0 pushrod motor is parts are dirt cheap. I miss that.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Over time starters will get excess carbon build up inside. Sometimes you can use a bat to gently hit it to knock the carbon lose to get another week or so out of it.
I've also had good luck disassembling them and cleaning all the crud out and regreasing the bearings.

Wild Horses

Reaction score
^^^^ THAT TOO. Give it a few persuasive knocks with a dead blow hammer or the butt of a regular hammer.

OP
OP
Blau

Blau

Reaction score
Sounds like the centrifugal spring that engages the flywheel isn't fully connecting. I'd check ALL grounds make sure you have good ground. Double check your batt charge. Hook it up to the charger on start setting and maybe try it. Make sure connections on batt are nice and tight. If nothing.... The starters are 2 bolts holding it on and 2 electrical connections. Very easy to swap out. I'm assuming this is the 5.0 car in your sig? I'd pick one up, try it out if it doesn't fix the problem Napa will take them back if you tell them it's the wrong one and your mechanic picked you up another. I don't remember them being too costly. best thing about the 5.0 pushrod motor is parts are dirt cheap. I miss that.
I took a look at the grounds, everything's as it's always been. Battery is charged, tested that. Lights and radio turn on. I started looking for the starter solenoid to test if that's working properly.. But it's missing! My understanding is that it's supposed to be right next to the battery, right next to the washer fluid reservoir. My fuse box is there (2000 chassis). I read that it will be inline with the battery's positive lead, but that immediately runs under the right side of the engine, and towards the alternator. Thoughts?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Stupid question for ya... Is your starter on the bottom of the engine bay close to your longtubes? Not saying it could be the problem but if you didn't wrap your starter with heat wrap the heat from the longtubes eventually cooks the starter.. Now thats only if the starter is by the longtubes like my 95 is. Idk about new edges.

OP
OP
Blau

Blau

Reaction score
Stupid question for ya... Is your starter on the bottom of the engine bay close to your longtubes? Not saying it could be the problem but if you didn't wrap your starter with heat wrap the heat from the longtubes eventually cooks the starter.. Now thats only if the starter is by the longtubes like my 95 is. Idk about new edges.
Yeah it's pretty close. The car (exhaust, engine, starter, all that shit) is a '94, the chassis is 2000.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty close. The car (exhaust, engine, starter, all that shit) is a '94, the chassis is 2000.

That makes sense.. The guy who did my longtubes said within a few months if you don't get wrap on the starter its gonna go. So I got this off latemodel. Easy to put on, gonna need 2 people if you don't have a lift. If you have drive up ramps, put the front up on the ramps. Have one person lay underneath, the other one over the engine bay. Bottom person puts the wrap mostly on the starter, top person with a long flathead screwdriver pushes the wrap back down to be wrapped around, continue until its tightly wrapped. Than put one or two zip ties around it and your done.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/DEI-010402/Mustang-Starter-Heat-Wrap-7-X24

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Sounds about right if the solenoid is on the starter. Never seen it happen to a 5.0 because they usually have the external ford solenoids. (I guess they stopped using them for SNs?)

You may also be able to just wrap the header with heat wrap at the closest points to the starter while you wait for a starter blanket.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Really? o_O The relay in this picture? Is that for 99+ only?

Well. yes that would be the starter relay. I don't think it's stock though. I don't have a 99-04 so maybe somone else can confirm.
I do know my 95gt doesn't have that. but my 66 does.

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Really? o_O The relay in this picture? Is that for 99+ only?

This is just a flush mount universal 12v solenoid. That should be your starter solenoid. If that's not your cars pictured then it's on the starter. I think the 94-95 5.0 got an updated starter with a built in solenoid. There should be something that looks somewhat like it on the starter.

OP
OP
Blau

Blau

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone! After much toiling with your guys' ideas, I eventually gave up and took it to my shop. Turned out there were a few broken teeth on my flywheel. How that happened I honestly have no idea... I drive the car like my grandmother would most of the time.

Edit: If anyone was curious, the solenoid is starter mounted.

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help everyone! After much toiling with your guys' ideas, I eventually gave up and took it to my shop. Turned out there were a few broken teeth on my flywheel. How that happened I honestly have no idea... I drive the car like my grandmother would most of the time.

Edit: If anyone was curious, the solenoid is starter mounted.

Well, glad you found the issue. Sucks that it's the flywheel. That's a pretty rare problem from my experience. Get the shop to throw an aluminum one in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online