starting a resto project

lrall

Reaction score
So heres the deal, my gpa has a 48 chevy pick-up that we are going to restore. But...hes not a HUGE motorhead and me being 17 with no experience i have no idea how/where to start. Being the math/system minded guy that i am i figured we should make a sort of goal sheet and then tear 'er down and start with just body. My gpa is all for gettin the truck back on the road but like i said we dont know where to start. I want to go for a clean yet stock looking look and superb driveability. Shave the hood seam, side vents and maybe tuck the front bumper a bit. Lower it 2" with drop shackles and add some 17s. For the motor ...we are at a tough spot. He has an old GMC s10 with(we thinkg) a 4.3 v6 in it, this is the one that car guys rave about for the 'big v6' right? its carb'd not FI. It has like 130K plus on it. The other idea we kinda had was to throw a small block in, my autos teacher had one that he said i could build and put in. He said he'd sell it and teach me to build it for 1K, with intake and maybe carb. I have no idea what kind of deal that is, and while this may be more expensive than the 4.3(read: free) it would be new and while talking to my neighbor he mentioned that it might be easier(cheaper) to fix in the future. I know KB has a red chevy and if you could chime in with ANY help thatd be great, i just need to know how/where to start?
-lr

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
i had an s-10 blazer (1993) with the 4.3 vortec v6, it was pretty strong, but there were problems with it, i would say go with the sb chevy

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Screw that, put a 289 or 302 in it. I am tired of seeing chevy engines in Fords, it is time to get even.

The best place to start is by tearing it apart. Make sure you lable EVERYTHING, what it is, where it goes, what its for, that sort of stuff. There is nothing worse than not remebering where that widgit goes after being apart for 2 years.

While you are tearing it down, make a list of needed parts. You will need more parts than you think.

Most of all be organized, lable your nuts and bolts, keep body parts with body parts, suspension with suspenion, that sort of thing. Designate a parts storage area. Keep everything there. You don't want to misplace good parts, or new parts.

Don't throw anything away that you could reuse or sell.

S

scarface

uncltrvlnmatt said:
Screw that, put a 289 or 302 in it. I am tired of seeing chevy engines in Fords, it is time to get even.

The best place to start is by tearing it apart. Make sure you lable EVERYTHING, what it is, where it goes, what its for, that sort of stuff. There is nothing worse than not remebering where that widgit goes after being apart for 2 years.

While you are tearing it down, make a list of needed parts. You will need more parts than you think.

Most of all be organized, lable your nuts and bolts, keep body parts with body parts, suspension with suspenion, that sort of thing. Designate a parts storage area. Keep everything there. You don't want to misplace good parts, or new parts.

PAYBACK!...this time its for real.

jfor441

Legend
Reaction score
scarface said:
uncltrvlnmatt said:

PAYBACK!...this time its for real.

ROFLMAO!!!! I nearly spit my Skoal all over the screen!

OP
OP
L

lrall

Reaction score
chevy engine in a ford? its a '48 chevy pick-up...i wanted to stay in the same brand lol...so is that 1K price decent for a small block chevy or no? ALso, manual or auto? ive been debating this alot lately, i love driving manuals but an auto would be so clean and easy. anyone know about Heidts suspension? i think were going to buy the Mustang II front suspension conversion

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
i have almost fully restored a 55 chevy. we went with the normal 350v8 with some goodies and a 3 speed

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

its going on 4 years now, when we got it the only thing on the frame was the cab

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Use a power glide trans and a 350 chevy. But I still think you should put a 289 or 302 in that chevy.

OP
OP
L

lrall

Reaction score
what is yours dropped with KB?? What did you use for motor mounts for the 350, do you think 1,000 is a good price for a built block and intake and carb? Stock bumpers or did you shorten them to bring it in to the body more? 3 speed eh..Im debating between auto and manual, auto would be good for cruisin and whatnot but manuals are so badass and plus...then only a select few could drive it. im most interested in the cost of puttin in a 350 and availability and front suspension, were thinking of goin with the Mustang II suspension

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
man Paul, i would have legitimate sex with that thing....like for realz yo! :rockyou:

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
The truck is on bags like my dodge its a custom 4 link in the rear and the custom suspension up front (you can ethier get custom front or mustang II and we went custom), we got the motor and trans fairly cheap cause of my uncle, its just a 350 3/4 race. The bumpers actually have adjustment holes but yes they were brought in a little bit. we went with an auto just cause we knew how hard this thing was going to be to drive, even with an auto its kinda a pain, i would go auto and have the shifter come from the floor. The motor mounts were pre fabbed up and i believe came with the kit of the custom front suspension

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Staff online

Members online